Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

06

We studied Physics, we really did- for all of five minutes. After that, we just talked. It was amazing how comfortable it was, being with him. After a couple of hours, though, he got a phone call. I did my best not to eavesdrop- oh wait, no. That’s not true. I listened shamelessly.

“What do you want?... Hell yes, I’m annoyed… Isn’t there anyone else who can-… Fine. I’m on my way.” My heart sunk. I didn’t know what to make of the conversation, but I did know one thing- Paul was leaving.

He hung up on whoever it was and looked at me apologetically. “This was fun, but I’ve got to go. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

I sadly watched him walk out the door, staring at it long after it had shut. When I realized I was moping, I laughed at myself. I was being ridiculous.

I woke up late the next morning and, though I’d only had two days of school so far, but they’d been exhausting. It was glorious to be able to sleep in.

But when I looked at the clock and saw that it was ten thirty, I started scrambling around the room, getting ready as quickly as I could. I still had to go to the store for muffin ingredients and make said muffins. After all, I had to celebrate Chris’ homecoming somehow.

I sprinted past the school, looking at it and wondering what I was missing. Right now, I would be in math. No Paul there.

When I made it to the little store, I rushed around, picking up all of the ingredients I’d need. I paid and stood outside, heaving. As soon as I could manage it, I jogged back to my house.

Even though I dashed around everywhere like a madwoman all morning, I still had barely finished setting up the projector and tying a sheet to one wall of our house when I heard a car pull into the driveway.

I gave a little wave to Dad as I threw myself across the driveway and into Chris’ waiting arms. “You have muffin batter on your face,” he said, beaming. “And on your shirt. What were you doing, Lyd?”

Despite my gooey shirt, he hugged me again, spinning me in a circle. “I meant what I said. I’m not going away for so long ever again. I missed you too much, little sis.”

“Little! Bah! You’re only seven minutes older,” I complained, but my heart wasn’t in it. I was too glad to have him back.

We all walked into the house and Dad stopped in the doorway, startled. “What’s all this?”

I had set up our old movie projector and there were several pans’ worth of muffins in bowls on the coffee table. All of the windows had towels draped over them, so that no light could get in.

“We’re having a movie day. Want to join us?” I offered hesitantly. I knew that he wouldn’t-

“Sure! It’s been too long since we did anything as a family,” Dad said, shocking me. I was floored, and Chris had to cover for me.

“You’re right. I vote for Touch of Evil first.”

“Aw, Chris, but we always watch that one!” I complained. He flicked my nose.

“Isn’t this supposed to be my homecoming party? My choice goes.” I sighed dramatically, but put his film in.

During our banter, Dad had taken one of the muffins out of a bowl and taken a bite. “This is delicious! Where did you buy it?”

“Actually, I made it, Dad,” I said, pleased. He looked surprised and devoured three more. That’s the best compliment you can pay to any cook.

All in all, it was a pretty good day. After two movies, Dad said he had to get to work. I didn’t mind at all- really, I was pleased that he had stayed even that long. It was more than I’d seen him every day for the past month combined.

Still, I was comfortable leaning against Chris, and I fell asleep halfway through our third movie. He smelled more like home than this house ever had.