Status: i hope you like :)

Secrets Will Kill You

Hero Gets the Kiss

My POV

I was in the drivers seat of my truck with Dean in the passenger seat and we were silent.
“Hey…if we’re going to at least try and be…”

“If you're going to say friends I don’t want to hear it”

I sighed in annoyance.

“I was going to say…if we’re going to try and be civil with each other…we should…get to know each other…” I tried to suggest but it was difficult for me just to get that out.

“Wel, I enjoy sunsets, long walks on the beach…”

I glanced at him and gave him a look. “I’m serious…”

“So am I” I didn’t respond and he sighed. “Alright, alright, fine. What do you wanna know?”

I thought for a minute. “I want to know…what you were thinking about when we were talking to Lucas…”

“Anything but that” he said sharply.

“What? Why?”

“Because I said so, that’s why”

“Okay fine, touchy…this is the last time I try to make nice with you” I glared at the road.

He was silent for a moment. “Look…I’m so-”

“No. How about you just sit there and be quiet” I suggested and he looked in the back seat.

I took small glances at him and saw his eyes narrowed in on something. He continued to glance between me and the back seat. “What?” I snapped.

“You have cassette tapes?” he asked in a tone that said he was…incredulous…admiring maybe…

“Yea? So?” I asked, not getting what he was getting at.

“Bon Jovi, ACDC, even some Metallica…” he listed, seeing the labels on my tapes.

“Look, if you have a problem with my choice of music then you can just walk back to the motel” I snapped at him. He turned back around in his seat, holding one of the tapes, tapping it with his finger. He laughed under his breath at something. “You’re officially crazy”

“It’s not like you didn’t think I was crazy before” I could hear his smirk on his face.

“No, I thought you were plenty crazy before but now you just made it official”

He didn’t respond. When I glanced at him, he was smirking, staring at the road in front of us. I think I missed some kind of joke because I was confused by his sudden change in attitude…maybe he’s just bi polar.

~

“Okay so it’s safe to say we rule out Nessy” Dean said as we walked into the room as Brit and Sam stood up.

“What do you mean?” Brit asked.

“We drove passed the Carlton house. There was an ambulance…Will’s dead” I informed them.

“Drowned?” Sam asked.

“In the sink” Dean said.

“What the Hell…you’re right, it’s not a creature. We’re dealing with something else”

“Yea, but what?” Brit asked.

“I don’t know…maybe a water wraith, some kind of demon. Something that controls water…” Sam explained.

“Wait, the water came from the same source…” I noted.

“The lake…” Dean said, realizing my point.

“That’s why there’s no body count. You guys said that the sheriff told you the lake will be dry in a few months and whatever it is, whatever it wants…it’s running out of time”

“If it can get to the pipes, it can get to anyone almost anyway…” Sam added.

“It’s going to happen again…soon” Brit finished.

“And one thing is for sure. It had something to do with Bill Carlton” Dean stated.

“And I was asking around…Lucas’ dad, Chris is Bill Carlton’s god son” I said.

“I think we should give Mr. Carlton a visit” Brit established.

We got to the Cabin and went around to the dock to the square platform that Mr. Carlton was sitting on, in the same spot he was in a few hours earlier. We walked over to him asking to just ask a few questions but he was definitely in no condition to talk. He asked us to leave, so we respected his wish and walked away. We were walking in front of the cabin to go around to the cars but I stopped in my tracks, staring at the house.

“Mel? Everything okay?” Brit asked as they all walked back over to me.

“Dean…” was all I said as I continued to stare at the cabin.

“What…” he started but stopped once he got a good look at the cabin as well. He took the picture Lucas drew for us out of his jacket pocket and held it up.

“I don’t think Bill’s the only one who knows something” I said and we looked at each other.

I stared into his green eyes for the second time today and I felt like there was something left unsaid…or maybe nothing was to be said at all as he just stared back into my eyes. Brit had to “clear her throat” for us to snap our attention back to reality and agreed we had to talk to Lucas again. We drove to Andrea’s house and she was against us talking to him but Dean…he certainly has a way with words…especially talking to women. He talked her into letting us. We all walked upstairs and to Lucas’ room. Dean looked at me first but I didn’t look back at him, I continued to look at Lucas who was on the floor of his room, drawing. I walked in and he followed. I knelt down in front of him as Dean squatted down as well.

“Hey Lucas, remember us?” I asked but I didn’t wait for him to answer. “Ya know…we wanted to thank you for your last drawing but the thing is…we need your help again” I explained and then nodded at Dean. He took out the picture of the cabin.

“How did you know to draw this? You know something bad was going to happen…”

“Maybe you could nod yes or no for us?” I tried. He stayed unmovable and silent as he kept his head down.

“You’re scared…it’s okay, I understand…when I was your age, I saw something real bad happen to my mom then I was scared too. I didn’t feel like talking, like you, but my mom…I know she wanted me to be brave and I think about that every day. I do my best to be brave, maybe your dad wants to be brave too” Dean said and I looked at him with sad eyes as he just kept his focus on Lucas.

I tried to shake the look from my face and my eyes snapped at Lucas as his crayon dropped from his hand. He looked up at Dean…and then slowly looked at me as if looking for something to add…some kind of confirmation to Dean’s theory.

“He’s right, Lucas…very recently…I witnessed something happen to my mom too…and my dad…and my sister…I was angry and I didn’t want to talk either but I know they all want me to be brave…and I truly think your dad wants you to do the same” I assured him, fighting back the tears so hard it hurt.

Lucas froze for a minute and then handed me a picture of a red bike and a smaller house with a white church beside it. “Thanks, Lucas” I smiled.

We left the house and Dean caught up to me. “So…you got your own secrets…you wanna tell me what you were talking about in Lucas’ room? I didn’t know you had a sister” he asked.

“No. I don’t want to talk about it” I snapped at him but continued to the truck. I got in and so did Brit. I just sat there for a few seconds in silence.

“Mel…”

“Shut up, B” I ordered, quietly. “Please…I don’t want to…” my voice trailed off and she just nodded.

We started driving and then Sam called Brit. When she got off the phone, she told me to just follow them. Without arguing, I followed. We got to the white church that was in Lucas’ picture. We walked in and talked to an old woman…she told us about a little boy living here 35 years ago. He wore a red cap and had a little bicycle. She said he just didn’t show up after school one day…we found a photo of him (Peter Sweeny) standing next to Bill Carlton in 1970 which meant we had to pay another visit to Mr. Carlton. We got there and started to walk around the Cabin to the back, by the lake right away.

“Little boy Peter Sweeny vanishes and he’s somehow connected to Bill somehow” Sam said.

“And Bill certainly has something to hide” Dean added.

“And Bill’s loved ones are all being punished…what if Bill did something to Peter?” Brit suggested.

“What if he killed him?” I enforced.

“Peter would be furious. It’s possible” Dean clarified.

We got to the back and saw Bill heading out to the lake on his motor boat. “No! Mr. Carlton!” I shouted as I ran toward the dock.

“Come back Mr. Carlton!” Brit added and the boys were yelling at him as well.

Then all of a sudden…something shot up and the boat shot into the air, causing it to flip over and Bill Carlton disappeared into the water. My shoulders slumped a little as I let out a silent breath, looking out to the lake…I guess I was hoping he would resurface…he never did.

~

The four of us stood in the Sheriff’s station and Andrea was in there as the sheriff was walking by. “Oh Sam, Dean...Melissa, Brittney, I wasn’t expecting to see you here” she said.

“Now you’re on a first name basis? What are you doing here?” the sheriff asked, walking by us.

“I brought you dinner”

“I’m sorry sweetheart, I don’t have time…”

“I heard about Carlton…is it true? Is there something on the lake?”

“Right now I don’t know what the truth is but it might be better if you and Lucas go home…”

But then Lucas jumped forward gripping onto my arm and Dean’s arm tightly in a panic. “Lucas what’s wrong?” Dean asked immediately, concern written on his face.

“It’s okay Lucas…hey…it’s okay” I said, bending down to his level, looking into his eyes.

He was scared…but I didn’t know what he was scared about. Andrea managed to get him to let go and they walked out together. The four of us walked into the Sheriff’s office and we all sat down in chairs as the sheriff sat at his desk.

“Just so we’re clear…you saw something attack Bill’s boat, sending Bill…who is a very good swimmer…into the drink and you never see him again”

“Yea that pretty much sums it up” Brit clarified.

“And I’m supposed to believe this even though we sonar-swept the entire lake…what you’re describing is impossible and I know you’re not really wild life service…I checked, the department never heard of you four” he said and I felt the tension build in the air.

“We can explain that…” Dean said with a nervous laugh.

“Enough. The only reason why you’re breathing free air is because one of the neighbors saw him steering out that boat just before you did so you have a couple of options…I could arrest you all for impersonating government officials and hold you as witnesses to Bill Carlton’s disappearance…or we could chalk it all up to a bad day, you get in your car, put our town in the rearview mirror and don’t even target my doorstep again”

“Door number two sounds good” Sam said, looking at all of us.

“Umm yea, I kind of like that one” I agreed.

“That’s the one I’d pick” the sheriff said, staring us all down.

~

As night fell, we started to drive out of the town with Brit and I behind the guys…but I had a gut feeling. “Brit…I don’t think we’re done here”

“What are you talking about Mel? The job’s over. If Bill killed peter and Peter got revenge, then case closed. The spirit’s at rest…”

“What if we take off and case isn’t done…what if more people get hurt”

“Why do you think that?”

“Because Lucas was really scared…”

“Is that what this is about?”

“I don’t want to leave this town unless I know the kid’s okay”

“Alright” she nodded.

That’s one of the many reasons why I loved Brit, she always knew when to believe me about something I felt strongly about.

I noticed the light was green but the guys weren’t moving so I pulled up beside them. “Hey!” I called to Dean so he bent his head down a little as Sam laid all the way back in his seat and Dean looked at me. “I don’t know about you guys, but we cant leave yet…we’re not done here…”

“See? I told you!” Dean smacked Sam in the chest. “We’ll follow you” Dean nodded at me and I nodded back at him before taking off back into town with them following. Something was still wrong…I just hoped to God that we weren’t too late.

We got to Andrea’s house and Dean and I rushed to the front door as Brit and Sam kind of just sauntered over to us. Sam was about to remind us how late it was but Lucas flung the door open hyperventilating.

“Lucas?” Dean and I called after him as we ran after him, running up the stairs.

Water was flowing down the stairs and Lucas ran right to the door. I got to him, wrapping my arms around him and spinning to get him out of the way as Sam knocked the door down. Him and Brit ran into the bathroom as we all saw Andrea’s head under the water. As Dean and I cared for Lucas, Brit actually got into the full tub, putting her legs on both sides of Andrea and started to pull her as Sam helped the best to his ability at the awkward angle he was in. But, they got her out and Sam fell onto his back as she fell on her back, onto Sam’s stomach, covering herself as best as she could while coughing out water. Brit immediately covered her with a towel…thank god for instinct.

~

The next morning, we were all still at Andrea’s and she was just in denial, thinking she was crazy but we assured her she wasn’t. she heard a voice telling her to ‘come play’ and that was when Dean brought over a photo album and asked her if she recognized anyone. She could only point out her twelve year old father and that was when we established that the drowning of Chris Bar wasn’t connected to Carlton, it was connected to the sheriff and that Bill and the Sheriff were involved with Peter. Then out of no where Lucas came downstairs and headed outside, we all followed him into a little bit of the woods but we could still see their house. We told Lucas and Andrea to go back to the house and we started to dig…we found a red bike…Peter’s bike. Then, that was when the sheriff showed up, pointing a gun at us…oh yea, never a dull moment.

We told him he couldn’t bury the truth…we knew the truth now…everyone knows nothing can stay buried forever…we knew the truth now…him and Bill killed Peter 35 years ago…they drowned him in the lake, buried the bike. Now, we have a seriously pissed off spirit and it was going to take everyone that Sheriff Jake knew and loved so he could feel the pain Peter’s mom felt and then it would come back for him…it’s exactly what happened to Bill. Of course, he thought we were crazy, Dean told him we didn’t care what he thought…which was true…but then we found out they didn’t bury Peter somewhere…they just let him go in the lake. He explained how it was an accident…him and Bill were your average bullies back then…they got too rough and held Peter’s head under the water too long…and they let the body sink. As Jake continued to call us irrational and say they were just kids…I had to do a double take because I saw Lucas walking over the hill of the woods toward the lake.

“Lucas!” I yelled, running after him and everyone followed.

We all got over the hill and saw Lucas leaning over the platform on the boardwalk, reaching for one of his army men and we raced toward him again. A hand reached up quickly and pulled him in. Dean and I got the upper hand and we were faster than the others. We both ran and dove in, head first, swimming down a little bit and looking around for any sign of Lucas. I heard another splash and saw it was Sam diving in after us. I saw the boys surface to the top and I was about to do the same but that was when I saw Lucas…and Peter was holding onto him. They were within my reach and I still had plenty of air in my lungs…so I went for it. I reached out and got a hold of Lucas, wrapping my arm around him but Peter grabbed my foot to keep me down.

I heard Sam tell Andrea we would get Lucas, Dean asked where I was and Brit said I never went back up for air…I could hear some panic in her voice. I wanted to scream out to them to somehow tell them I was under the water but I was losing air…and losing consciousness. I didn’t feel Peter holding me down anymore…but I could barely feel anything anyway. I started to blink my eyes slowly. I held onto Lucas with all the might I had left in me and then I saw Dean coming toward us. He was so close…and then I felt his arms wrap around me and we all reached the top. I started coughing and gasping for air but I rested my head back, resting it on his shoulder as I was looking up to the sky.

“You make cracks about saving my life and I’ll have to punch you in the face” I breathed heavily and he did a breathless chuckle.

At the moment though, I was worried about the seemingly lifeless body in my arms…only being able to hope we weren’t too late.

~~

We were in a parking lot, in town and Brit was informing me about what happened while I was down under. “Look…we’re not going to save everybody” Sam said.

“I know…” Dean murmured and I sighed.

“Hey” a voice said and we saw Andrea walking toward us with Lucas…yep, you thought he died didn’t you.

Nope, we saved Lucas…while we were both down under, Jake sacrificed himself to Peter. He walked into the lake, swimming out close to the middle and Peter took him, drowning him. That was why he let me go when he did.

“Hey” we all smiled.

“I’m glad we caught you all. We just made you some lunch for the road. Lucas insisted on making sandwiches himself”

“Can I give it to them now?” Lucas spoke, looking up to his mother.

“Of course” she said and he handed Dean a tray of sandwiches with foil covering the top.

“Come on, Lucas, lets load the car” Dean said and they both walked over to the Impala, talking to one another and I decided to follow.

Dean opened the car door, sitting on the seat so he was leveled with Lucas. “Alright, if you’re going to be talking now, this is a very important phrase so I want you to repeat it back to me one more time”

“Zeppelin rules!” he cheered.

“That’s right. Up high” he said and Lucas gave him a high five.

I giggled and Dean stood to be at my level. I cleared my throat.

“Umm I wanted to…say thanks…for…ya know…”

“No thanks needed…but ya no, the hero usually gets a kiss” he wiggled his eye brows at me.

I just scoffed and looked down at Lucas. “You take care of your mom okay” I said and he smiled and nodded, hugging me.

The others came over to us and Andrea hugged me. “Thank you” she said. “Both of you” she added and then kissed Dean.

“Guess you got your kiss” I muttered to him, smirking as I grabbed some sandwiches and Brit and I walked over to the truck.

We got in and I glared slightly, narrowing my eyes in Dean’s direction, watching him carefully. I saw Brit shaking her head at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing” she said, smiling to herself. I rolled my eyes.

“Shut up” I said and started up the truck.

She laughed as we followed the boys out of the parking lot, waving at Andrea and Lucas and we hit the road. I sighed, rolling down the windows. Our first case together was a success and Dean and I were actually civil…who would’ve thought…now I wonder what our next casses will be like…guess I’ll have to see where this road will take us.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333