Status: i hope you like :)

Secrets Will Kill You

Tension And Heat

My POV

Morning came and I opened my eyes to a picture of John, Mary, Sam, Brit, Dean, dad, mom, Lindsey and I at Christmas. I shot up and then so did Dean. We looked at each other…we were still here…so it was real…or somewhat real right? We both tried Brit and Sam again but we both got nothing. Then we looked at each other again and as if we were thinking the same thing, we raced outside for the Impala and Dean drove to the community college nearby and I thought it would be better if just one person went in so it wouldn’t be too weird when the professor would realize that he wasn’t in his class. I sat there…thinking. I still couldn’t get it out of my head. Would this really be our lives if we didn’t hunt…and if we settled down? Would Dean and I really be married…be high school sweet hearts? It was all just too surreal. I looked up at the visor on his side and took out a picture. It was of me. I put it back and then got out of the car and walked around to the back of the car. I looked down at the trunk.

Then, Dean got to my side and he nodded as he lifted it up. The weapons weren’t there…there were food wrappers and magazines. “Well, who would’ve thought, baby? We’re civilians” he stated…and he wasn’t talking to me.

I smiled though because I found it cute. “Well? What’d he say?”

“Nothing much…they have god-like power that can alter reality in past, present and future, blah, blah, blah” he said.

“That’s it?”

“Then he asked if I was drunk” he scoffed and I started laughing.

But then I stopped as I looked across the street and a girl in a white dress was just staring over at us. He turned to look at what I was looking at and we both started walking toward her. A truck flew by while we were in the middle of the road and the girl was gone. Then…we were almost hit by a car and got out of the street. We exchanged looks. This was great…just great.

~~~

We were in the kitchen of the Winchester’s house and Dean took a big bite of his sandwich. “This is the best sandwich ever!” he groaned in delight and I smiled at him in disgust, sitting across from him at the kitchen table. “Thank you!” Mary called from the other room.

“I tried getting a hold of Sam earlier. Where’s he?” Dean asked “He’ll be here soon” she said, coming over to us and sitting down in the chair in between Dean and I.

“Good. I’m dying to see him”

“And dad? He’ll be here soon too?” I asked with hope.

“Yes, with Jen and Lindsey” she said and my face lit up.

“Hey…don’t get me wrong. I am thrilled you both are hanging out here all of a sudden. But shouldn’t you both be at work?”

“Work?” we both questioned.

“At the garage” she stated, looking at Dean.

“Right. The garage. That’s where I work. I, uh…I’ve got the day off”

“And you? I know you took off from school at Julliard but shouldn’t the hospital be asking for help?” I go to Julliard and work at a hospital?

That seemed to catch Dean’s attention. “My wife’s a doctor?” Dean inquired.

It was weird hearing him say that and know he was referring to me. “A nurse…” Mary said slowly and then looked at me again.

“Umm yea I took the day off too”

“Must have been hard for that to happen”

“Yea, well I managed to pull it off” I smiled.

Then, Dean stood to look out the window. “That lawn looks like it could use some mowing”

“You wanna mow the lawn?” Mary asked, shocked.

“Are you kidding me? I’d love to mow the lawn”

“Knock yourself out. You’d think you’d never mowed a lawn in your life” she stated. He excitedly got outside and I laughed to myself.

“So…you’re not pregnant are you?” she eyed me.

I laughed. “Oh God no…well I hope not…” I muttered and she laughed. “Good because your father would have a heart attack” she stated. “I can imagine…” I nodded.

“So…wow…I was thinking about this the other day but I couldn’t figure it out…” I tried to choice my words the best I can so she wouldn’t think I was any more high or drunk than she already thinks I am. “How long have I known Dean now?” I questioned.

“Wow…” she looked down at the table. “You were about three and Dean was four, I think…”

“Do you think…you could refresh my memory?”

She smiled at me. “You two always had it out for each other but we always knew you two would grow up together and end up being a couple…when it finally happened, I think you both were in tenth grade…you two always had ups and downs, a fair share amount of breakups…but you always pulled through…then you got married…it was really no shock to any of us” she said and I nodded.

To say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement. “Umm excuse me, I think I’m going to go get some fresh air” I said and she nodded, smiling.

I grabbed Dean’s beer and my own and walked outside onto the porch. I sat down on the step and just watched him mow the lawn. He was smiling the whole time. I laughed a little…I laughed even harder when he waved to a neighbor and weirded the guy out. Then he looked at me and grinned. I smiled back at him, putting my elbow on my knee and my chin in my hand. My leg started to shake…I was more than just anxious. I felt the urge to just get in the Impala, high jack it and speed off to the house. I could even run there if I wanted…but I promised Mary I would wait until he got here himself. Once Dean was done, he put the mower back and came over to me. I handed him his beer and he wrapped his arm around me, pulling me closer.

“We’ve only been dating a few weeks and you want to start acting married?” I laughed a little, looking up slightly at him.

“Might as well act the part right?” he questioned and then kissed me.

“You’re actually enjoying this” I stated.

“I am…” he said and pulled away. “Mel…I’ve always wanted this…to just be settled down…have a home…you and I do have a past…we just cant remember it…you did want to know what it would’ve been like…well this is it…we were high school sweet hearts…as lame as that sounds”

I laughed lightly. “Well…I’m enjoying it too…” I admitted and he grinned, kissing me. “But, hey what did Sam say about Brit? Is she coming with him?” I asked and the mood shifted.

His face flushed. “Mel…” he started but stopped when a car pulled up and we both looked over at it. “I don’t believe it” Dean muttered, grinning.

Then, Sam and a very pretty blond got out of the car…it wasn’t Brit though. I smiled anyway. I set my beer down as Dean raced over to hug the pretty blond tight. I smiled. “Sammy” I said happily as I raced to Sam and jumped into his arms.

He laughed a little. “Hey Mel”

Then I let go of him and Dean went over to hug him as the blond looked at me with a big grin. “Hey, Mel” she sang excitedly. “Hey” I said with fake excitement and I hugged her.

Then I looked at Dean who was hugging Sam and I gave him a confused look. He mouthed out Jessica and my jaw dropped. We pulled away and I smiled big at her. “I’m so happy to see you. You and your damn schedule” she cursed.

“I know. I’m sorry” I said, apologetically and then Dean and I both backed up.

“Look at you. You’re with Jessica, I don’t believe it” he commented. “Yeah” Sam said, not sure what else to say.

“Where’d you guys come from?”

“We just flew in from California” Sam answered, very confused.

“California! Stanford, huh? Law school, I bet”

“I see you started off Mom’s birthday with a bang, as usual” he gestured to Dean’s beer.

“Wait, Mom’s birthday? That’s today?”

“Yeah, Dean. That’s today. That’s why we’re here. Don’t tell me you forgot….Mel?”

“I…I told him this morning” I claimed, putting my hands on my hips. He looked at us, helpless and I smirked.

Then another car pulled up and I felt my heart stop…my breathing stopped…I stopped. We all stared but I was the only one not smiling…I just couldn’t believe it. I glanced at Dean and he was smiling at me. Then I looked back at the car and saw my father step out, grinning over at me.

“Hey Butter Cup” his smooth voice greeted me as he started walking toward us.

“Daddy!” I exclaimed happily and raced to him.

I jumped into his arms as he wrapped his arms around me, spinning me around. He chuckled. “Well, it’s good to see you too bud” he said and then placed me on the ground. I was trying so hard to hold my tears back. “Are you okay?”

“Yea, I’m fine. Just really happy to see you” I nodded.

Then I looked over his shoulder at my step mom getting out of the car. I got over to her and hugged her tight. I was just so happy that I still had her and not my real mom…I didn’t want that.

“Hey Mel” she laughed lightly. “Hey” I said, gently. “Hey, where’s…” I started but then another engine sounded and a beautiful blue convertible pulled up.

“Hey sis, I’ve been taking real good care of your car” my sister’s voice called. “That’s my car?” I questioned.

“Well, of course it is. You’ve had that car ever since I bought it for you for your sixteenth birthday” dad said.

But, I didn’t even care about the car at the moment. Lindsey stepped out, wearing her sunglasses. “Lindsey” I said lightly, now on the verge of letting the tears come falling out.

I let one escape but wiped it away quickly as I hugged her tight. She gasped for air. “You are so beautiful” I commented.

She let out an airy laugh. “Well, I am your sister” she said and then I let go and kissed her cheek. “Ew okay what’s with the gross loving emotions?”

“I just…missed you is all” I said and we walked over to the others.

“Son” dad nodded, shaking Dean’s hand. “Sir” Dean nodded, dumbfounded.

My mom hugged him and he was a smiling idiot but he seemed super nervous still. “Hey Dean” Lindsey greeted, hugging Dean quickly. Mary came outside to all of us, hugging my father and kissing his cheek and then her and mom hugged tightly.

Mary reminded Dean and I about the clothes we left here for tonight so we could just rush and get changed to go out so Dean led me to the guest room and he shut the door quickly and then spun to face me.

“I just met your father” he stated.

“I know” I smiled, laughing to myself.

“And he liked me…he’s a big man”

“I know. That he is” I laughed a little more.

My dad was always tall and buff. He had muscle but was never fat and huge…he was perfect size for my dad. “William Stern is my father-in-law” he stated, smiling.

“Yes, he is” I laughed.

Then he put my head in his hands and kissed me hard. “I love this life” he sighed.

“Me too…but I really need to know where Brit is now” I said, looking him in the eye.

His face dropped slightly again. “I think you should talk to your mom or dad about that one…even Lindsey…just don’t ask me…and not Sam either. Anyone but Sam” he said and I just nodded…I was confused but I nodded.

I turned to pick up the dress that laid on the bed and I started to strip off my clothes as Dean started to do the same…it’s not like we haven’t seen each other naked before…please, when you’re with Dean Winchester, there’s no way you can go weeks without having sexual tension. I slipped on the slimming, spaghetti strapped, black, elegant dress and I put on the small white sweater that only covered my arms. I put my hair up in a bun, put some clips in and two strands of my hair curved around my face. I got a good look at Dean and he got a good look at me.

“Wow…you look…” he started.

“I could say the same for you” I said and did his tie for him.

“Ready Mrs. Winchester?” he asked and I just stared at him. How could he be so okay with this whole marriage thing?

“Don’t call me that” I laughed as I got on my heels. He pouted slightly but didn’t push anything.

~

We got to the very fancy restaurant as night fell and I was in the middle of Dean and Lindsey. The waiter came and set some food down in front of all of us. “Wow. That…looks awesome” Dean commented, sarcastically and everyone laughed.

“All right. To mom…happy birthday” Sam said. “To Mary” dad added and we all raised our glasses. “Thank you” she said and we all slinked glasses.

I saw Dean smiling at Sam as he kissed Jessica and I smiled as well. Then I glanced at Dean and he made a face at his food. “Look, later I’ll get you a cheeseburger” I laughed lightly.

“Oh, God, yes. How did I end up with such a cool chick?"

“You’re lucky that I’ve just got low standards” I said and he laughed before kissing me. Then I leaned over toward Lindsey.

“Hey Linds” I whispered. “Yea Mel?” she said.

I felt like we were like two little girls with a big secret. “Umm well…you’re my sister and you cant be all weird when I ask you this but…I’ve been kind of out of it lately and everything just feels like a dream…can you tell me…where’s Brittney?” I asked and her smile disappeared as she pulled away slightly, staring at me as if I just shot her.

“You remember Brittney right?” I questioned.

“Yea Mel I remember her…but we just agreed to never talk about her again…you told me not to…”

“What? Why would I say that?” I asked.

She looked at everyone. “Not in front of Sam” she whispered to me. “Excuse us” she said to everyone and took my hand.

They all stared at us for a few seconds but then went back to their conversations. “I’ll be right back” I said to Dean, putting a hand on his shoulder. He nodded and Brit led me into the bathroom. Then she turned to face me, holding both of my hands.

“Mel…I don’t know what’s gotten into you but this isn’t funny…”

“Lindsey I’m really not trying to be funny…I need you to tell me right now. Where is Brittney”

She hesitated. “Brit is dead…” she spoke and I felt my heart sink.

“What?” I asked, smiling, not quite sure that I heard her right.

“She died six years ago…the night her and Sam graduated high school"

“What? No…how…why?” I sputtered.

“A drunk driver hit her that night on the way to your graduation party you were throwing for her and Sam…she died on impact…”

"So, she wasnt in my wedding?" I sobbed.

"No, honey, she wasnt"

I let a few tears slip. “Why did you say not in front of Sam?” I asked with my voice cracking.

“They were high school sweet hearts just like you and Dean…he was nothing without her…she was everything to him…it took him a long time to get over her and move onto Jessica…”

“So Sammy and Brit…they were together?” I sobbed.

“Yea…they really looked up to you and Dean…wanted the relationship you two had…and they had it…they had it all…and then Sam was the one who suffered…”

This time…I didn’t stop the tears…I let them fall. She pulled me into a hug and she comforted me until my crying stopped after a while. “Were you my maid of honor?” I sobbed slightly.

“Yes, I was” she said sadly. “We were both going to be your maid of honor” I nodded.

“Was I pretty in my wedding dress?”

“You were beautiful” she laughed.

I nodded again. “How was Sammy after it happened?”

“Lets just leave it with not good…after a few months though, you introduced him to Jessica”

“I did?” I asked, sniffling.

“You did” she laughed a little.

I hugged her tighter but it was because I wanted to just hold her here. “What about Brittney’s parents…her brother? Is he still…”

“He’s…gone too Mel…” she started to get choked up.

Brittney’s brother was Lindsey’s boyfriend…and now I feel like a bitch. “Their parents just couldn’t stay here…they moved to Arizona”

“Linds…I’m…”

“Don’t worry about it” she faked a smile.

I paused. “How do you and Dean get along?”

“He’s like the big brother I never had…both him and Sam have been there for me through out my years of growing” she joked lightly.

“Good…that’s good”

Then she pushed me away slightly and handed me tissues. “Clean yourself up. You look like a mess. Today’s Mary’s birthday” she reminded me.

“I know” I said and stopped crying all together. “Hey…you’re okay?” she asked, touching my arm. “Yea…I’m fine now” I smiled at her.

I hooked my arm through hers and we walked back out to our family. I sat back down and Dean leaned over to me. “You okay?” he asked.

I nodded, afraid of my voice cracking. “Her and Sammy were together…they were like us…she died the night of hers and Sam’s graduation because of some stupid party I was throwing for them…a drunk driver hit her…” I whispered.

He started rubbing my back to comfort me…it worked a little. “All right, Jess and I actually have another surprise for Mom’s birthday” Sam spoke and I looked up at him as they all did the same. “You wanna tell them?” he asked Jessica.

“They’re your family”

“What? Tell me, what?” Mary asked.

Then Jessica held out her left hand, showing a very sparkly diamond ring on her finger. “Oh my God! Congratulations!” Mary said excitedly. “Way to go Sammy” dad cooed and we all stood up as I grinned and so did Dean.

“Congrats Sam” I cooed and hugged him. “Thanks Mel” he said and we pulled away as I saw him smiling.

Then I hugged Jessica as well. “It’s beautiful” I said, looking at her ring.

Her, Mary, mom, Lindsey and I all stood around, talking about it, getting excited as Dean, Sam and dad were talking and then I realized…I couldn’t hear what they were saying. Sure, I heard their mumbles but it wasn’t clear…I was actually normal. No kind of demon cells were in me to give me weird abilities…I was just me. But, then I saw that same girl from today in the same white gown standing in a corner. I started walking toward her and then Dean got to my side. We tried to maneuver around people but in the blink of an eye…she was gone again. We gave each other weird looks and then turned around to see all of them giving us weird looks.

~~

We got back to the Winchester’s house and Mary said good bye to dad, mom and Lindsey…that was when I realized they had to go home. Mary, Sam and Jessica walked inside and Dean said good bye to mom, dad and Lindsey.

“I’ll be right in” I told him and he nodded before walking inside.

“Sweetie you need to call more” mom said, hugging me. “I will” I nodded, hugging her back.

Then I hugged Lindsey. “Thanks for the talk Linds” I whispered. “Anytime, Mel” she said, sincerely. “Call me. I want to hang out” she pleaded.

I nodded and gave her one more squeeze before letting her go. Then I faced dad. “Didn’t you say once that you were too old for hugs?”

“What? Why would I say that? Never” I said and hugged him tight, digging my head into his chest.

He said something to Linds and mom and they walked over to the car as we sat down on the steps of the porch. “Mel…are you sure you’re alright?” he asked me.

“Yes. I am fine” I told him and he eyed me.

“I know you better than that”

I sighed…and thought about my words as we sat down on the porch together. “It was just one of those days where I thought about Brit”

He nodded. “She’s looking over you ya know…I think she is so proud of you…you’re married…you’re successful…and she’s happy for Sam”

“I know she is…”

“Then, what else is bothering you?”

I felt tears come again as I looked at his face. “I had a really bad dream the other night…and I just missed you” I choked out.

“Oh butter cup, I’m right here. I’m not going anywhere”

Then, he looked up at the stars. “Do you remember what I used to say to you when I went on business trips or to softball games out of town?”

“You told me that whenever I missed you, I should just look up at the stars and the moon…and know that you’re doing the same…and that nothing but the sky was separating us…” I shook my head a little at his nonsense as he grinned.

“Keep that in mind” he smiled, pulling me into a hug as we stood up. I hugged him tight…I didn’t want to let him go…but I had to.

He kissed my head and I kissed his cheek and then he left. I looked up at the stars and then walked inside to Jessica. “Hey, where’d the boys go?” I asked.

“They’re talking…you and Dean seem a little…”

“I know, I know…sorry” I laughed a little.

But, then they came back to us with Dean a little further behind Sam. “Ready to go?” Dean asked me.

“Yeah…”

“Night Mel” Sam said, hugging me and kissing my cheek.

“Night Sam…night Jess” I said and hugged Jess as well and then Dean and I left.

We got back to our apartment and as Dean collapsed onto the couch, I went to the fridge and brought him a beer, kneeling beside him. “What’d you and Sam talk about?” I asked, gently.

He didn’t respond right away. He took a swig of the beer. “We don’t get along…we have nothing in common…we never hunted…he wonders why you and I call him Sammy…”

I just stayed silent to let him talk. I started to play with his hair…he seemed to like it since I felt him relax a little. “You think maybe we’ve been given a second chance?” he asked, looking at me.

“Maybe…” I nodded.

“A second chance to have memories…to make things right with our family…” he spoke. I stayed silent again and he continued to look at me. “I’m sorry about Brit…you have no idea…”

“It’s okay…it’s just…hard to believe…all my life I’ve managed to protect her…then one night, it all changes…” I was about to say more but stopped.

“What?” he urged.

“I remember the night I threw the party for Brit…in our first life or whatever…it was just a few months before the fire and it was a surprise and I had all our friends at my house…I had this weird feeling in my gut and I told her to come an hour earlier…she showed up…and an hour later, we found out there was an accident involving a drunk driver on the road where Brit was driving…she lived only a few houses away but she went to the store for her mom to get some milk…and since I told her to come an hour earlier, she missed the accident…”

I paused. “Here…I never told her to come an hour earlier” I stated and then shrugged, feeling broken and unable to shed more tears tonight.

He kissed me lightly, with a sympathetic look. "But, what I don’t get is that…I pushed our wedding a full year back…and you still stayed with me…”

“I’m just that kind of guy” he shrugged and it made me laugh. Then he pulled away and then lifted up a hospital scrub uniform and grinned. “Look what I found” he said, wiggling his eyebrows up and down.

I laughed. “I’m a nurse” I stated.

“That is so respectable” he said and I laughed again.

“You’re a very dirty boy, ya know that”

“Yea” he chuckled in a very dirty way.

Then he threw the scrub uniform to the floor and I just kissed him and he started to kiss back. He started to lean in toward me so I was now laying on my back on the couch with him on top of me. I laughed lightly.

“We really shouldn’t be doing this here” I mumbled against his mouth.

Then he went to my neck. “Why not? It’s our couch” he said against my neck.

“Hmm good point” I said and brought his lips back to mine.

Hpulled away again and just stared into my eyes for a moment. "Ya know i think I get it"

"Get what?"

"Why you're the one"

Is ind of taken back by his words...but they really made me feel...good...special...I kissed him gently as he kissed back the same way at firsrt...things got…pretty heated from there.

Brittney’s POV

I started pacing around the motel room…I got it from Mel…I started to get really worried about Dean and Melissa since they weren’t back now and it was really late. Plus Sam still wasn’t back.

The door swung open.

Never mind.

“Where were you? I’m freaking out here!” I yelled at him.

“I got us coffee…” he said innocently, holding up two cups.

“Oh…” I said lightly.

“Mel and Dean aren’t back yet?” he asked.

“No, they aren’t and I’m starting to get really worried” I sat down and held my head in my hands. “Okay, calm down…deep breaths” he ordered as he sat beside me and I obeyed.

“We’re going to find them…but first…if we’re going to work together on this, I need to know what’s really bothering you” he said and I looked up and into his eyes. I took a deep breath.

“When we were on the case with Madison…I walked in on you two…” I started and then finished the rest with my eyes.

“And that bothers you so much?” he laughed a little and I gave him a look. He caught on. “Oh…oh! Oh crap…Brittney, I…I had no idea…” he said, sincerely.

I stood up. “Which makes me feel stupid”

“Why? I should be the one who feels stupid” he stood up. “I’m such an idiot” he complained but it was really more to himself. “Brit, I…” he started.

“Please, Sam, I don’t want to talk about it. I just want to make sure Mel and Dean are okay” I pleaded. He nodded silently. “Okay…come on” he said and I followed him out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333