A Cherry Sunset

Texts + Webcams

I waited until I was safely in the backseat of a cab to pull my phone out. I skipped calling my parents and left a brief voicemail for my grandmother before finally I texted Oliver. He had busy visiting with old friends when I’d called him earlier to tell him I was boarding so I figured a text was the best way to go.

Emily : I’m officially driving around SanFran : )

I frowned at the message for a few minutes before I just sent it. I sighed heavily and stared out the window. I hated California. The only reason I come back is because of Lucy Hale, my dear grandmother. My asshole parents put her in an assisted living place four years ago because they didn’t want to deal with her anymore. That was when I really got close to her. We were both kicked out of my parents picture of a perfect family, though my grandmother didn’t blame them as much as I did. My phone vibrated and pulled me out of my thoughts. I smiled as I saw the new next pop up.

Oliver : how was the ride?
Emily : I hate planes : ( but the taxi man hasn’t tried to mug or hit on me so that’s a plus
Oliver : do people get mugged often where you’re from?
Emily : only on Tuesday’s ; )

I grinned and glanced up, realizing we were close to my hotel. I shoved my phone back in my pocket and ignored the new vibrating as I gathered some money to pay the driver. He offered to help carry my bags, but I turned him down after seeing the creepy smirk he was giving me.

It took a few extra minutes to get my room key card since management was unable to find my reservations. Finally, however, I was in my room. There was one, full size bed and a small table with two chairs in front of the window. I threw my bag on the bed and carried my laptop case to the table. Then I pulled my phone out again.

Oliver : be careful, kay?

My heart fluttered as I pictured his concerned expression. Oliver was such a damn sweetheart. I texted him back saying sure thing and then set up my laptop. As the laptop was booting up, I started to unpack my bag. The original plan was to stay in California for two weeks, though I doubted I’d make it through one.

Halfway through my bag, the laptop dinged and I confusedly went over to it. The laptop was set up to automatically sign me into my skype. I frowned as I read through a few new friend requests things and then I found the reason for the dinging. MasterSyko had invited me for a chat and I couldn’t help but beam as I accepted.

Oliver’s face appeared with that crooked grin that made my insides all mushy. I bit my bottom lip and pulled my knees up to my chest as I scooted my chair a little closer. “Hey Emmeh.” His voice was a little rough like he either just woke up or really needed to go to bed.

“Hello Oliver.” I fidgeted with my hair and glanced down at the small screen shot of what I looked like.

“Wha’ yeh doin’?” He curiously scrunched his eyebrows together and smirked a little as he noticed me fidgeting. I smiled and put my hands down.

“Just got to the hotel. I was unpacking my bag. What are you doing?” I carefully took in his surroundings. It was definitely some kind of room, maybe a bedroom? I couldn’t quite tell.

Oliver shrugged. “Waitin’ on Tom.” He made a face, like he was unhappy with something, but quickly covered it up with another smile. “Yeh don’t look so good, love. Are yeh feelin’ alrigh’?”

I playfully glared but then I smiled too. “Yeah. My stomach’s still a bit flippy from the plane, but I think with some crackers and a nap I’ll be fine.”

“Yeh should try a cup of tea. It’ll work magic.” He smirked as my smile widened.

“I might just have to call room service then.” I shrugged and suddenly we were just sitting in silence, staring at each other. I’d thought seeing Oliver would make me happier and settle the anxiety in my head, but it didn’t. I missed him more.

“Oi! Oleh! Wha’ the fuck yeh doin’ up ‘ere? We’re ‘posed teh be leavin’!” Tom’s voice interrupted the quiet first, and then his head popped into the room. I saw him in the doorway and tentatively waved. “Emileh?” He questioned and took a few steps into the room. A grin broke out on his face as he recognized me. “’Ey Emileh! ‘Ow yeh doin’?”

I giggled as I saw Oliver clench his teeth and glare at his younger brother. “I’m just fine, Tom. How are you?”

“Eh, alrigh’. Bein’ home always makes me restless.”

“Yeh’re ‘posed teh be downstairs, Tom.” Oliver was agitated.

“I was!” Tom shouted and threw his hands up into the air. It was like both boys had completely forgotten about me for the moment. “But yeh were takin’ so damn long. Dee’s already called like three times!”

Oliver rolled his eyes. “I’ll be down in a minute.” He mumbled and slowly turned back to the screen.

“Right, bye Em!” Tom waved again before dashing out the door. Oliver sighed.

“You have to go so soon?” I guessed and tried not to frown. I hoped he couldn’t see how fake my smile had become either.

“There’s a parteh at the pub downtown. A bunch of old friends are comin’ teh see us.” He didn’t even bother to hide his frown.

“You boys performing?”

He shook his head. “Not tonight. It’s jus’ a littel get teh-gether.”

I nodded slowly. “You should probably go then. Tom’s waiting.” I smirked a little and he rolled his eyes again.

“Tha’ arsehole can wait.”

“I’ll call you tomorrow, Oli.”

“Em,” his voice softened as his eyebrows furrowed together. I tilted my head, not really trusting my voice to stay steady. “I don’t ‘ave teh go anywhere.”

“Bye Oliver.”

He pursed his lips for a minute, but then smiled a little. “’Night Em.”

It took all the will power I had to shut the webcam off after that. I hated watching the screen go black and then switch to my background. I wanted to talk to Oliver so much more. It felt like I hadn’t really talked to him in forever. I bit my bottom lip as I counted in my head.

Seven Days.

A whole week had gone by since I’d actually been in Oliver’s presence. Only one week and I was already losing myself. I shook my head as I quickly got up and went back to my bag. Course, unpacking was about as appealing as visiting my parents now.

Instead of unpacking the rest of my things, I threw my bag into the closet and collapsed on the bed. I ordered some room service and turned the television on. They were all hopeless diversions because underneath it all, my mind still reeled back to Oliver.
♠ ♠ ♠
Emmy.
Filler. I think it's going to start to get real good here soon : ) comment to let me know you love Oli?
xooxEmber

inspiration :: Danger Days!!! Going out of town to purchase mine and making it back home in time to watch their live performance on mtv.com X D it's times like these that I wish I lived in L.A., preferably around Sunset Avenue so I could sneak in HOB and see these fabulous Killjoys I'm so inlove with. whoo!!!