Status: Complete!

Circus Freak

Chapter 6: It's Nothing

I have no idea what happened after I fell, but when I woke up I was in my bed with a bag of ice on my head.

"What the hell happened?" I said out loud thinking that no one was there, but some one answered,

"You fell off the tight rope, you dummy, and caused there to be an intermission so everybody's act got delayed. Thanks a lot," said the voice sarcastically.

I looked up from my bed and saw Jamie, another acrobat, and a friend of mine.

"Gosh, I'm sorry."

"It's okay," she sighed. "Are you okay? What happened out there?"

"Yeah I'm fine and it was nothing."

"You're calling what just happened nothing? Fayina, you've never messed up on a performance and you expect me to believe that it was nothing?"

"I just got a little light headed. It's no big deal," I said obviously lying. There's no way I was telling anyone that I messed up because of a little bit of jealousy over some stupid guy.

"Fine, whatever. I'll believe you for now. So what do you wanna do tomorrow?" Just as I was about to answer her, there was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I asked with a bored tone to my voice.

"It's Tre, " he said sounding almost apologetic.

"Ooh, who's Tre?" Jamie asked curiously, but quietly.

"He's no one. Anyways, wanna go looking around the town before the show starts?" Then there was another knock followed by Tre saying,

"Fayina I want to--no, need to talk to you. Are you okay?" I vacillated over whether or not to let him in. I finally decided to open the door just wide enough for him to see my face, but not wide enough for him to get in.

"Yes I'm fine. Now go," I said coldly.

"What? Why?" he asked confusedly.

"Because..." I hesitated on whether I should tell him or not. I decided on the former. "Because you had that skank all over you in the middle of my performance! I can't believe you!"

"But I--" I cut him off.

"I don't want to hear it. Just leave me alone," I said between gritted teeth as I slammed the door in his face. A single tear slid down my face as I walked back to my bed.

"What was that all about?" Jamie asked me concernedly.

"It was nothing," I replied as I drifted to sleep.

It was always nothing.