I Love Your Switchblade Attitude

f o u r t e e n .

When the phone rang on the chilly Tuesday morning following Harley’s temporary stay at the Dawson household, Harley did not expect much.

She had assumed it was a conceited friend of her mother, the kind of fifty-something year old woman who would want to gossip incessantly about the families in her picturesque neighbourhood.

She had not expected, however, to answer the phone and immediately be greeted by a deep male voice. Harley panicked, and made a strangled attempt of a sound into the phone.

She immediately assumed that it was Max, and her hands shook as she started to slam the phone down on its stand, but realized after she cleared her head that this was a huskier, more familiar voice. She brought the phone back to her ear tentatively, hearing the male voice sound slightly frantic on the other end.

“Harley?” he asked, confusion thick in his voice. “Is that you?”

“Uhhh—” Harley grunted, feeling completely embarrassed as her hands shook and her ears glowed crimson. “I mean,” she cleared her throat, glad that he could not see her, “yes, it is.”

“It’s Alex.”

“I, erm, know…” Harley felt like smacking herself, but instead began to twirl the cord of the phone around her fingers in order to distract herself. “I mean…never mind. Rian isn’t here.”

“No, I know. He—uh, Rian just came home, actually.” Harley thought she detected embarrassment in Alex’s voice, but brushed it off. “I was…I was calling for you, actually.”

Harley didn’t bother to hide the incredulity in her voice. “Me?!”

“Yeah,” Alex laughed shakily, “what’s up?”

“Uh…nothing?” It came out more like a question, and Harley was overcome with the overwhelming urge to hang up the phone immediately and crawl in the deepest corner of her house, never to emerge.

“Oh, cool.” There was a drawn-out silence, and Harley could faintly hear Alex breathing softly on the other line. “So, uh—”

“—Who are you talking to?” Another deep voice squeaked distantly, and there was a sound of shuffling and shouts in the background.

“Harley,” She heard Alex mutter faintly, though the sound was more distant, as though he was not talking into the receiver of the phone.

“Why are you calling Harley?” The voice inquired on the other end of the line. It sounded like Jack. “Is it because you like her? It is! You fucking like her! I KNEW IT! ALEX AND HARLEY SITTING IN A TREE, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

Yes, it was definitely Jack.

“Shut the fuck up!” Alex growled, and the sound of shuffling and static echoed in Harley’s ear, followed by the scrape of a chair and an ‘Oof!’, no doubt coming from Jack. “Hello?” Alex mumbled back into the phone, just as Jack started screaming again.

“DID YOU HEAR ME HARLEY? HE LOOOOOOOOOOOVES YOU! FIRST COMES LOVE, THEN COMES MARRIAGE—”

“What’s going on?" Another voice was heard in the background over the shouting, but Harley did not take much notice. Her body flushed as she thought of Jack’s words. He was teasing her, wasn’t he? They couldn’t be true.

She wasn’t able to ponder her thoughts for long, for the third voice, who Harley had soon recognized as Rian, for he adopted a reprimanding tone, began to tell off the boys.

“Jack, you need to stop bursting into song every two fucking seconds—“

“—But Alex hit me!”

“You need to stop instigating him; then he wouldn’t hit you. Obviously.” The room was silent, and it was evident that the boys had forgotten she was on the other end of the line. “Why the fuck are you singing, anyway?”

“Alex’s in love with Harley…but that’s old news.”

“What?!” Rian’s incredulous voice rang out just as Alex began to protest.

“I’m just calling her! Jack just decided that because I’m talking to her, I’m in love with her. You better be fucking glad Lisa isn’t home, Jack.”

“—THEN COMES A BABY IN A BABY CARRIAGE!”

“JACK!” roared both Alex and Rian in the background, causing Jack to go silent. Harley heard Rian mutter something to Alex, but it was inaudible through the phone. After a moment of stony silence on Harley’s end of the phone, Alex’s voice rang through her ears once again.

“Hello? Uh, Harley, you still there?” Alex sounded nervous, slightly embarrassed even, and Harley wasn’t sure whether she wanted to burst out laughing or burst into tears.

“Yeah,” her throat was dry, and her hands shook slightly as she attempted to firmly grip the phone to her ear. “I’m here.”

“Did you hear all that?”

“Yeah,” Harley nodded, “Well, most of it, anyway.” Alex did not reply.

A pregnant pause filled the air, and Harley was about to question if Alex was still on the line, when she heard him speak once more.

“So,” he took a deep breath, and the exhale was heard loudly over the phone. “What are you doing today?”

_______________________________________________

Half an hour later, Harley found herself at the mall. It wasn’t the best place to bring a girl, especially for a date, but Harley had to keep reminding herself that she was not on a date; she was just shopping with Alex.

The two roamed the mall, getting virtually ignored by most of the bystanders. Occasionally, a teenage girl would point or stare, either recognizing Alex for his fame, or just his ‘dashing good looks’ as he called them.

Harley had to admit that it was refreshing to go somewhere other than fancy restaurants or coffee shops, even ice cream parlors and small cafés. When she went out with Max, he would take her to meet the most elite members of Maryland’s multiple communities, take her to the finest restaurants and the most exquisite art museums.

The majority of her dates with Max, she felt more like a trophy or a prized dog being shown off at a dog-show, rather than an actual person. Max had a status, he was well known across Maryland, and Harley, well, she was just an ordinary middle-class girl attempting to get by.

It hurt to speak of Max, especially since the couple hadn’t spoken in weeks, and Harley wondered if he had thought they had broken up. It was true that Harley wasn’t very fond of her boyfriend, but he still was important to her, and she wasn’t sure what would happen if the pair broke up.

Pushing all thoughts of her sort-of-maybe-still boyfriend aside, Harley watched Alex with admiration. He was occupied by a gleaming store window displaying a pair of white and red Nikes, and Harley took the opportunity to observe him.

His blonde hair had faded to a dull blondish-brown and sat atop his head in a perfectly disorganized fashion, his chocolate brown eyes swam with indescribable emotion, and a small smirk had found his way onto his chiseled face as he stuffed his hands in his jean pockets and eyed the shoes longingly.

Due to the surging crowd and their close body proximity, Harley could feel the heat radiating off his body, and began to blush slightly because of it. His eyes suddenly flickered to hers, and she quickly averted her gaze to the chipped lilac-polish decorating her toenails.

She examined them with false interest, and her mind began to spin as she wondered if Alex had caught her in the act of staring. Slowly, she raised her gaze, only to find that Alex’s smirk had widened, his eyes still fixed on her face. She blushed, and ducked her head slightly to cover her magenta cheeks.

“I’m going in here for a minute, do you want to come?”

Harley shook her head, recognizing the chance to compose herself as Alex shopped. Alex nodded, acknowledging her decision, before disappearing inside the store. The tension between the pair made Harley feel as though she was going to implode.

Hopefully, it would become easier as the day went on.

___________________________________________________

Oh, how she was wrong. Shopping with Alex was almost as bad as shopping with Jack. Alex trailed after her like a puppy as she shopped, which she didn’t mind much other than his presence was making her nervous.

It was practically impossible to even think about shopping for underwear with Alex around, so she decided that she would return to the mall some other time. Alex didn’t seem happy with her decision to skip the lingerie and undergarment stores, and instead kept pointing desperately to Victoria’s Secret and wiggling his eyebrows suggestively every time they past it.

The part that embarrassed Harley the most however, was when she decided to try on a scarlet dress that called to her from the window of Macy’s. It was nothing too revealing, and because of this, Alex protested jokingly, gesturing to the swimsuit section, hoping she would change her mind.

Rolling her eyes, Harley had stepped into the changing room and locked it behind her, instructing Alex to wait outside. She had tried it on and felt like it fit well, and turned in the mirror a few times before deciding on a second opinion. When she had stepped out, however, Alex had not noticed her.

He was peaking in one of his shopping bags, admiring the pair of shoes he had bought from the previous store, and it was only when she cleared her throat that he looked up. His face changed immediately, his jaw tightening slightly as he took her in. She smiled weakly, waiting for a response. His eyes raked over her body from head to toe, his eyes trailing her legs for what seemed like hours.

“Stop.” Harley froze, not realizing that she had actually spoken the word that had been swirling around her mind.

“What?” Alex inquired, as his puzzled eyes met hers.

“I, uh…” How was Harley supposed to explain her innermost thoughts to him? She had already started, so it wasn’t like she could make up some lie now. “S-stop looking at me.” She mumbled feebly, and Alex opened his mouth to no doubt question her, when she continued. “I mean, you’re making me nervous.”

The silence that followed allowed Alex to process this information, as Harley blushed. His eyebrows raised and finally, the trademark smirk appeared on his lips. “I make you nervous?” He repeated, looking highly amused.

“W-Well, er, I mean…”

“Just by looking at you?” His face turned serious, and his smirk widened. By now, Harley was practically the same colour as her dress. She felt like she wanted to disappear. Why had she said that in the first place? She knew he wouldn’t stop looking at her. If anything, he was looking at her more now. “What would happen if I touched you? Would you faint? What if I called you beautiful? Sexy even?”

The air seemed to crackle with electricity as his gaze burned into hers. She opened and closed her mouth several times, but couldn’t come up with an answer. She hated how he knew how he affected her, and was dangling her feelings for him over her head like a toy.

Then again, she had been the one stupid enough to let him know how he made her feel. Sighing in defeat and breaking his smoldering gaze, she retreated to the changing room. As she locked the door behind her and began to take off the dress, the sound of footsteps echoed in the hallway.

She heard Alex stand from his seat on the bench near the entrance, and walk towards her changing room. She heard a small thud against her changing room door, and imagined him leaning against it casually.

“Harley?” Alex’s voice was muffled through the changing room door, and she imagined his face pressed sideways against the door in front of her. “You look beautiful in the dress. You should buy it.”

Alex was right. She just about fainted.

______________________________________________________

With the additional shopping bag containing the scarlet dress in hand, Harley and Alex continued to roam the mall, occasionally stopping to view an item in a shop window. After the dressing room incident, conversation became awkward for the pair.

It was only after about fifteen minutes of stumbling sentences and pregnant pauses that the pair became comfortable again and the tension was forgotten. Alex had even eventually offered to buy frozen yoghurt, which Harley had happily agreed to, and the pair were now walking and happily eating their yoghurt with comfortable conversation.

Harley was actually enjoying herself greatly, until they had passed a sports shop and Alex had suddenly tensed beside her. His jaw locked and a crease formed between his eyebrows. His arm flew instinctively and gripped Harley’s arm, pulling her towards him.

“Wha—?” She stumbled against Alex’s body, blushing at the feeling of his chest against hers, and his warm hand on her arm. He snapped back to reality and looked down at her confused, before realization of his actions occurred, and he released her, blushing.

“Sorry, but…” His head turned again, his lips parted slightly in mid-sentence as he turned to glare at something. Harley followed his gaze. Or someone.

Harley felt her heart rate increase as she watched Max chat happily with another brown-haired man. The man, like Max, was finely dressed, with his mousy hair gelled and combed back. They were both dressed similarly, in khakis and different coloured collared shirts. Alex glanced back at her, and frowned even harder upon realizing that she had seen Max as well.

“Are you going to go say hi?” He grimaced, nodding his head towards her boyfriend.

“No,” Harley muttered, equally aghast at the sight of Max. “I’d rather go.” Alex searched her face, and raised his eyebrows in silent question. Slowly, he nodded, and the pair turned to head off in a different direction, but it was too late.

Max had seen them, he was muttering something to the man beside him, and the pair began to advance towards Harley and Alex. To her surprise, Max was wearing a large grin on his face. Alex let out a sigh as the pair finally reached them, but remained rooted to his spot.

“Harley!” Max extended his arms towards her, and it was only then that she realized that he was going to hug her. She did not return the favor, and her arms were crushed uncomfortably as Max gave her a hug. He let her go and shot her a look, but he quickly returned to appearing happy. “This is Ben Wyman. He’s one of my really close friends. Ben, this is my girlfriend Harley Dawson. Like the motorcycle.”

Harley flinched at the reference to her name and motorcycles, something she hated. Alex sent her a quizzical look. He knew that she hated being referred to a motorcycle and was clearly wondering why her boyfriend did just that.

Harley ignored him and instead nodded at Ben, who smiled confidently. Ben Wyman seemed like the kind of person who went by both of his names, Harley noted. He just seemed…official.

“Eh-hem.” Alex pretended to clear his throat, and Max’s eyes flickered to him.

Max’s lips turned south slightly, and he appeared to be in a less chipper mood. “Oh, and this is Alexander Gaskarth.” He looked at Alex as though he were gum stuck to the bottom of Max’s five-hundred dollar shoes. “Why is he with you, Harley?”

“What do you mean, ‘why is he with me’? I can’t go shopping with other people?” Harley hissed, and Max eyed the pair warily.

“Not with other guys like him.”

“Excuse me?” Alex growled, stepping forward. “Other guys like me? What am I like?”

“I was talking to my girlfriend, if you hadn’t realized, Gaskarth.” Max replied coolly.

“And you brought up my name, therefore bringing me into the conversation, Porter.”

“It’s not that big of a deal, Max. Just forget about it.” Harley sighed, glancing at Ben Wyman who appeared slightly uncomfortable.

“How can I forget about it? You haven’t been answering any of my calls, emails or texts. I haven’t spoken to you in two weeks and I don’t know what I did wrong, and you want me to forget about it? How do I know you haven’t been cheating on me with Gaskarth here?”

“Really, Max? You know Alex has a girlfriend. Lisa, remember?”

“So?”

“Listen here, you fucking dipshit.” Alex muttered, pointing at Max, who didn’t appear the least bit fazed. “I’m completely faithful to my girlfriend, and you should be to yours too. She’s telling the truth.”

“Like I believe you.” Max muttered, and was about to say something when Ben Wyman interrupted him.

“So where are you guys headed?” He appeared unusually jovial, as though if he became happy enough, he would cheer up all the ill-tempered people surrounding him.

Alex looked at the man in surprise, before exchanging a look with Harley. “Probably to the east wing or something. They have a Vans there, right?“ Harley nodded, as Ben Wyman opened his mouth to speak.

“That’s great! We’ll join you, right Max?”

Max instantly opened his mouth to protest, but closed it upon realizing that he could spend time with Harley whether she liked it or not. Finally, he nodded and Ben Wyman clapped his hands together, before ushering the group towards the east wing of the mall. At that moment, Harley decided that she hated Ben Wyman.

_________________________________________

Max stared up at the Vans sign in utter bewilderment.

“What is this place?” He muttered to Ben Wyman, but Ben Wyman shrugged, equally puzzled.

“You’ve never been to Vans?” Alex stared at Max with a bewildered expression laced onto his features, staring at him as though he was some sort of alien.

“No,” Max sniffed, “If you must know, I have more refined tastes.”

Alex snorted. “Your girlfriend shops here, you know? How about those refined tastes now?”

Max glared at him, but said nothing. Instead, he held the door open, and stared at the store. Harley took this as her cue and began to step into the door, but was cut off by Max, who walked in front of her and walked into the store, the door closing in her face.

Alex watched this, annoyed. He held the door open, and Harley waited, but Alex gestured for her to go in front of him.

“Ladies first,” He beamed, but his eyes flashed as he glared at Max. “Every guy should know that.”

Harley blushed, entering the store, followed closely by Ben Wyman and Alex. Once in the store, Ben Wyman found his way to Max as the two stared at the clothing and racks of shoes surrounding them.

Alex and Harley split up, checking out clothing items, and it continued like this until Max began to voice his opinions in a carried whisper across the store.

“What is this shit? It’s so…cheap..” He turned a shoe upside down and scoffed at the price tag, before turning it over and placing it haphazardly back on its rack.

“Shit?” Alex’s mouth was now a thin line, barely visible on his now pale skin as he advanced towards the two men. “How about you and your fake-ass sidekick over here get the fuck out of here? Go back to whatever designer bitches spat you out, and you’ll be doing us all a huge favor.” His voice was low and calm, though his eyes showed that he was infuriated.

“I’ll be glad to,” Max hissed, his voice equally low. His eyes flickered to his girlfriend, who had a pile of clothe still in her hand. “Come on, Harley. Put this crap down and we can go to some more worthwhile stores. I’ll buy you whatever you want, because, you know,” Max laughed, though there was nothing funny. He was back to using that falsely sweet voice, “this prick over here can’t.” He jerked his thumb at Alex who looked as though he wanted to pummel Max. “We can even go get some of your favourite chocolate ice cream after, if you want.”

“I don’t even like chocolate.” She scowled dully, “My favourite’s vanilla. And frankly, you’re being a complete asshole, Max.”

“He started it!” Max pointed childishly at Alex, who was clutching his fists to his side.

“Because I’m sick of you. You treat everyone around you like shit, especially Harley. What kind of boyfriend doesn’t hold the door open, or doesn’t even know what his girlfriend’s favourite ice cream flavor is? Honestly, you’re a rich and pretentious asshole that doesn’t deserve a girl like Harley.”

Harley was too stunned to defend Max, or even to take Alex’s side. Alex’s words had caused her to almost drop the pile of clothes in her hands. Startled, she rested the clothes on the sales counter and returned to the boys, fully intent on separating them before they started a fight in the store.

It was almost comical, Harley realized, as she watched Ben Wyman, who in turn stood watching Max and Alex argue with an awkward expression on his face. His chipper expression was gone, and he now appeared like he wanted to go hide in the changing room and never return.

“So if I don’t deserve Harley, then who does? You? Definitely not.”

“I. Have. A. Girlfriend.” Alex muttered through gritted teeth. “I don’t need yours.”

“That doesn’t mean anything. Everyone can see that you’re in love with her. That’s why you hate me. It’s not about some stupid high school grudge, or even because I’m richer than you. I have Harley and you don’t and that makes you sick, right Ben?”

Ben Wyman squeaked, before exiting the store in a flash.

“Look. I’m not arguing about this here. We’re in a fucking store, and unlike you, I have some class.”

“Class?” Max scoffed, “Says the little boy with fifteen dollar clothes and the cheap girlfriend to match.”

“Lisa is not cheap.” Alex almost shouted, but stopped, realizing that Max wanted to work him up for nothing. “You know what, I’m leaving.”

“As much as I loved spending time with you in this lovely encounter, I think I’ll go as well. Let’s go, Harley.” His eyes darted to Harley, who still stood frozen in her spot. He spoke with a much more forceful tone. “I said, let’s go Harley.”

“I’m going with Alex.” Harley announced defiantly, walking towards the blonde. Alex grinned triumphantly, as Max watched on, angered.

“Fine.” Max growled, hurt evident in his features. “I’ll go alone. But you know what, Harley? Call me when you come to your senses. I’ll be waiting.”

He turned on his heel, scoffing one last time at the interior of the store, before walking out the door, no doubt going in search for Ben Wyman. The store was silent with the departure of Max, and the few customers who had been watching their argument dispersed.

Harley looked at Alex, but he was avoiding her eye now, no doubt embarrassed about what Max had implied about their relationship. She had no doubt that like her, his mind was spinning.

“Ready to go?” He mumbled in a voice so low, Harley had to strain to hear him. Harley nodded, her happy mood from earlier completely vanishing.

Sighing, she gathered her shopping bags and followed Alex to the car, preparing herself to endure a completely silent ride home.
♠ ♠ ♠
so, remember how I talked about regular updates? well, i'm a liar. I'm SO SORRY about everything, but that one week vacation I was supposed to take turned into two and a half, because my grandma wanted us to stay with her for a while. anyway, that's not important. i will TRY to update regularly, but i'm suffering from a severe case of writer's block and feel like smashing my head against a log every time i open up Word. anyway, Harley and Alex are all ~tense. and Max is a prick, but what's new? who do you want to see more of in the next chapter? comments and feedback would be lovely. thanks to all the previous commenters!
p.s. I tried to make this as long as the other one, and it's about the same ;)