Status: Completed

I Am Invincible

Five

Upon arriving at school, I was immediately tackled to the ground by Emilie in a bone-crushing hug. Laughing, I struggled to shove her off me, but seeing as she’s taller than me (who isn’t?), it was a bit hard. As I managed to sit up with Em still attached to me, still hugging me tightly, I noticed two girls I vaguely recognised as being from my grade walking past us and smiling slightly at the scene in front of them.

The girl with the white-blonde hair stopped the other dark-haired girl by grabbing her arm and they looked down at us. “Well hi, Emilie,” the blonde drawled, with a sarcastic smile. “Your boyfriend’s cute.” Boyfriend? I was just about to open my mouth to correct her when Emilie giggled in a very un-Emilie-like way and with a big smile replied “Hi Sarah, hey Madison. I know right? This is Cameron. Baby, say hi to my friends. Don’t be rude.”
“Baby?” I questioned. Never, I repeat never, has Emilie called me ‘baby’. And when did they become her friends?
She hit me. “He’s just shy,” she stated to the other girls and gave me a Look. “Say hi.”
“Hi,” I said quietly, not quite looking at them.
“See. Wasn’t so hard, was it?” Em crooned.

What is up with her? She’s just turned into a completely different person. And that was when I noticed her leaning towards me slowly and tilting her head to the side slightly. WHAT? No no no no no no. Don’t you go near me with those lips. Back away slowly, Cameron. Emilie must’ve read my mind cause she put her hand on the back of my neck to stop me from moving my head out of the way of her mouth. No, Emilie! What the hell are you doing? You are not going to ruin our friendship by kissi-
All my thoughts fell out of my head when Emilie placed her lips on mine. My mind went blank for a couple of seconds, but when the cogs began turning inside my head again, I pulled away, slightly disgusted. Not only had I just kissed my best friend (or rather, stayed still long enough for my best friend to kiss me), but my best friend who I had absolutely no romantic interest in whatsoever, just stole my first kiss. As all this sunk in I was vaguely aware of the other two girls – Sarah and Madison, apparently – staring at us (while we were still on the ground, I might add) and “awwww”ing.

When the bell went after a couple more minutes of the two girls squealing about how apparently cute Emilie and I were as a couple, Emilie got off me (finally) and held out her hand for me, beaming. Hesitantly, I took it and she helped me up off the ground. I expected her to let go when I was up, but unfortunately for me, she kept a firm grip on my hand and led me towards the school building while chatting animatedly to Sarah and Madison about how she and I met on our first day of school and “we hit it off straight away. It was...like, an instant connection. It was, like, totally fate that brought us together.” When did my best friend start talking like a cheerleader?

I allowed myself to be dragged along to our homeroom which luckily for me, neither Sarah nor Madison was in. As soon as we entered the room I took charge and pulled Emilie to a couple of spare desks, sat her down and stared at her.
“What?”
“What the hell was that?!” I whisper-shouted. She looked at me, confused.
“What the hell was what?”
“Are you serious? You just freaking kissed me. You told those skanks that I was your boyfriend. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’m not your boyfriend. So why the hell are you telling people that I am?”
“Please, Cam. Keep your voice down. Just...” she sighed. I waited for her to continue. “Sarah’s already the most popular girl in the grade. Even after just one day. But everybody likes her and everyone knows that it’s pretty much an honour to be one of her friends and to be in the popular group. But she has these rules. They’re pretty dumb but you have to have a boyfriend or a girlfriend when you first become friends with her. And since I don’t really know any boys apart from you...” she trailed off.

Why do you need to have a boyfriend? That’s just ridiculous,” I asked incredulously. “And when did you even meet her anyway?”
She sighed, “So she knows that you’re desirable and popular enough to get a guy. She wouldn’t want to be friends with someone who can never get a boyfriend. And I met her yesterday. If you’d been paying attention, she did actually say hello to you too, you were just off in space somewhere. I talked to her for at least 15 minutes. You really didn’t notice?”
I shook my head; I had other things on my mind yesterday. “So... Let me get this straight. You’re going to use me and make me pretend to be your boyfriend so you can dump me as your friend when Queen Bitch decides you’re worthy enough to be one of her Royal Party?” I was starting to get mad.

“No! Cameron, no of course not. You’re my best friend, and always will be my best friend and I’ll love you forever no matter what happens, but I need some other friends too. I mean, I can’t exactly talk to you about the guys I think are cute, can I? I need some female friends that I can gossip to and get fashion and makeup advice from and stuff like that. I just... I need you to be my pretend boyfriend. It won’t be forever and I promise that if you fall violently in love with another girl we’ll ‘break up’. But...please. You’re the only guy I know who’s a good enough actor to pull this off. Please...” she pleaded, and gave me those puppy dog eyes that can make anyone do anything for her.

I looked at her for a long time. Her puppy dog eyes got more and more pathetic as I continued looking at her. “Okay! Fine. I’ll do it,” I finally gave in. “But none of that couple-y shit when Sarah and co. aren’t around, okay? That’s just weird.”
She threw her arms around me as the bell went, signalling that it was time for our first class of the day. “Thank you, Cameron. You’re my best friend. I love you so much. I owe you big time. Ah, thank you, thank you, thank you,” she half-shouted in my ear and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
I shook my head, and smiled. “Come on, then. English first.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?

Thank you to my 4 subscribers, and especially to Catch. You. Now for commenting. This is my first time ever writing a story like this so your comment was greatly appreciated :)

Sarah
Madison