Sequel: Lyrissa's Sparkles II

Lyrissa's Sparkles

Chapter Twenty-Six

At the mansion things were still filled with pain and misery. Kiera’s cries could be heard from her bedroom, in the kitchen where Jazz, Jubilee, Rogue, Storm, Jean and Scott, and Andrew were all having ice cream.

“I c-can’t take it anymore!” Andrew suddenly yelled, slamming his bowl against the table. “Everyone’s crying, and fighting, and I can’t deal with it! Lyrissa always helped them with this kind of thing, not me! I don’t freaking know how to do this without her!” his voice broke and he banged his head hard against the table next to his half eaten bowl of ice cream. “Andrew,” Jazz started, but her voice wouldn’t hold either.

Scott sighed heavily and wiped some of his own tears from behind his glasses before putting his arm around Andrew. He had held a grudge against him from the day he announced Lyrissa’s feelings for Logan, but it disappeared the second he realized how much Andrew cared for her. He couldn’t bring himself to be mad at him now, and Jean was right when she told him that if Andrew didn’t tell Logan, he and Lyrissa would never have ended up together.

Jazz was leaning on Storm’s shoulder, crying silently trying not to let anyone else notice. It was impossible for her not to cry. Lyrissa was the one and only person she would let see her cry, and she was the one and only person she would openly cry for. She cried a little when she had fallen down the stairs, and wouldn’t wake up, but now she was gone, and there was no holding back for her.

“I… I d-don’t wan-na go tomorrow.” Jazz hiccupped from Strom’s shoulder, talking about the memorial service; they couldn’t have a funeral, since the only thing they found of Lyrissa and Wolverine was a few pieces of his uniform, her hair tie, which had snapped when Sabertooth attacked her, and her beaded bracelet that Allie had made her. No one would let them be buried, so a memorial was all they could do.

Jazz was in the kitchen helping Jean and Gambit with breakfast when the phone rang. Scott answered it before she could volunteer. “Hello, Xavier’s school for the gifted.” He answered absently, and dropped the phone seconds later, sliding down the wall with fresh tears rolling down from behind his visor.

Jazz grabbed the phone, and answered it herself, since he was incapable. “Jazz?” the voice asked. “Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!” was all she could say through her own tears, throwing the phone to Jean, and hugging Cyclops tightly. “Lyrissa?!” Jean gasped. Gambit dropped the plate of food he was carrying, letting it shatter and send eggs all over the floor. “She alive?!” he shouted. “SHE’S ALIVE!!!!” Jazz screamed excitedly, a wave of inexplicable joy, and relief passing through her.

“WHAT?” Andrew screamed, running to the kitchen, and nearly slipping in the eggs. “Lyrissa is on the phone right now with Jean! Sh-she just called! A-and she’s alive!” she answered, moving from her place next to Cyclops, to hugging Andrew and dancing around the kitchen. “Jean can I talk to her? Please?” he begged. She nodded and handed over the phone.

Lyrissa was standing in Julie’s kitchen, after calling the mansion for the second time. Julie had been driving down the road not far from where they camped when she saw Logan carrying her, wearing nothing but her underwear, and stopped to pick them up. He told her what he thought had happened, and explained that Lyrissa must have teleported them to the campsite when the bomb went off. He found her in the shallow parts of the lake, and had to strip her clothes so she wouldn’t freeze in the cool October air.

Lyrissa had to hold the phone away from her ear when Jazz screamed, and again when she heard her screaming the news that she was alive. She and Logan both laughed when they heard Gambit drop the food.

“Hello? Please say you’re there, please.” Andrew breathed through the phone. “Hi Andrew. I’m here.” She laughed. He didn’t say anything for a while, but she could hear him sit down and start crying and laughing at the same time. He sounded like he had lost his mind.

“H-how?”

“I teleported when the big explosion. I grabbed Logan’s ankle right before. I tried to teleport back to the mansion, but I ended up taking us to the lake Logan took me camping at.”

“But you’re okay?” she could hear him sniffling, and tons of whispers, which meant everyone who could fit was crammed around the phone trying to listen.

“Yeah. My hair’s shorter though. It got singed when the bomb went off. Other than that and a few burns, I’m great. Logan’s just perfect, because Logan has a healing factor. Logan doesn’t have any burns or bruises.” He laughed behind her as she playfully ranted about him.

“Hey, yeah… hang on Max. Dante quit… Ugh, come on guys… ouch, yeah I know. Hey look, Xavier wants to talk to her, go away!” she laughed as she listened to the kids and X-Men all demanding to talk with her and Logan, and poor Andrew, who had the phone, trying to fight them off.

“Hello Lyrissa.” Xavier smiled into the phone. She could almost feel his happiness from Julie’s.

“Hey Uncle Charlie!”

“How are you?”

“Flippin’ great! I hurt, but I’m alive! How’s things there? Did everyone get out alright? I know Scotty answered the phone, then dropped it, I talked to Jean, and I could hear Gambit in the background… but how’s everyone else?”

“You and Logan are the only ones who didn’t return in the Jet. Everyone is fine. I understand you need someone to pick you up?”

“Yes! Please?”

“Of course, I’ll arrange for someone to get you as soon as this call is over.”

“Thanks Uncle Charlie, I love you!”

“I love you too Lyrissa. May I speak with Logan a moment though?”

“Sure thing.” She smiled. “Logan,” he was already reaching for the phone when she turned around, since he had heard the entire conversation. Lyrissa left them to their conversation to find Julie.

“Hey there sweetie. How’s things at home?” she asked when Lyrissa sat down in the living room with her.

“Great. They all thought we were dead. You should’ve heard things over there, I can only imagine what it must’ve looked like.”

“Really, they happy to hear from ya?”

“Scotty hit the floor, and dropped the phone. Jazz screamed and threw the phone to Jean because she couldn’t talk. Gambit dropped something and it broke… yeah they were happy.”

“Wow, big family I take it?”

“Huge.” Lyrissa laughed.

“Well, I’m glad I found ya and was able to help ya get back to ‘em then.”

“Me too. I probably would’ve died out there if you didn’t. Logan would’ve been fine because of his healing factor, but I don’t have that.” Lyrissa laughed.

“Well, listen. Ya can keep those clothes I let ya use they don’t fit me anymore. Obviously. I fixed your jacket, I hope you don’t mind purple patches, it’s all I had and I noticed you like that color.” Julie smiled, handing Lyrissa her jacket that now had a purple patch over her left shoulder, and a smaller one on her left forearm.

“Not at all, it looks awesome. I’d try it on, but I don’t think it’d feel too good on my arm.” She sighed, looking at the burns she had gotten on her left arm from the explosion. She also had one across her lower back, which she had to be careful for. Other than those two, and the fact her hair was now almost to her shoulders, instead of to her butt, she hadn’t gotten a scratch.

“Cyke and Jeanie are comin’ to pick us up. They’ll be here tonight.” Logan announced as he joined them. “Great.” Lyrissa and Julie smiled together.

Lyrissa moved over to Logan and rested her head on his shoulder, wrapping her right arm around him. He put his around her waist, but quickly pulled back when she gasped in pain from the burn on her back. “I’m fine… just put your arms higher.” She winced, using her unburned arm to keep him close. He gently put his arms around her shoulders and held her. “Ya wanna moment? I can leave, I don’t mind.” Julie smiled “We’re fine Julie. It’s your house, and you’ve done nothing but help us. We couldn’t kick you out of your own living room.” Lyrissa answered, keeping her head against Logan’s shoulder. Julie laughed, and left anyway.

“You alright? Ya don’t seem yerself.” Logan sighed against the side of her face.

“I almost died. I saw my mom Logan, that’s why I came back. She told me to. S-she told me… told me n-not to leave.” She swallowed hard, trying not to cry.

“Well, I’m glad ya listened. I don’t know what I’d do if ya didn’t.”

It was quiet for a very long time as they stood there, holding one another.

“I love you, Logan.” She whispered finally, tears sliding down her face as she waited for his reaction, not knowing what to expect. “Love ya too, Lyrissa.” He smiled, and kissed her lightly on the cheek, which escalated to the most tender, yet passionate kiss she had ever experienced.

“See? I was right, ya did need a moment.” Julie grinned once they separated, both breathless, to see her standing in the kitchen behind them. Lyrissa blushed a dark pink. “Don’t be embarrassed by it honey, ya should’ve seen the kinds of things I did when Will and his wife lived here.” She smirked and went back to doing dishes.

Much later that night Lyrissa was lying on her stomach on the bed in Julie’s guest room, while Logan gently put some burn cream on her back before putting on new bandages. It looked gruesome, but only really hurt when it got warm, or when something touched it; which is why Logan was having some trouble rubbing the burn cream on her, because it meant he was hurting her.

“Thanks so much Logan.” She smiled once he had finished. “Yer welcome.” He replied, gently fixing the bandages and helping her up. She was just about to kiss him when Julie knocked on the door. “Yeah?” Lyrissa shouted, staying only inches from Logan’s face. “Your friends are here. Jean and Scott I think?” she answered. Lyrissa gasped excitedly, and ran from the room and down to Scott and Jean, as fast as the burn on her back would allow anyway.

“Lyrissa!” they both shouted as she crashed into them. By some miracle, in their three-way group hug no one touched either of her burns. “I’m so glad you’re alright! Where’s Logan?” Scott asked, once again crying, but this time it was pure joy. “Right here Summers.” Logan smirked, and to his surprise, was grabbed by Scott and pulled into the hug. “Awe, I knew you loved him Scotty!” Lyrissa laughed as they backed off and Jean hugged Logan tightly. Both Logan and Scott smirked at her comment.

“Dang, now ya got me cryin’, and I’m not even a part of the family!” Julie laughed as she wiped her eyes. “Yeah you are. Saved us twice, gave us a place to stay, took care of us, to me that makes you family Julie.” Lyrissa replied happily. “By the way, Scott, Jean, this is the lady I told you about before, Julie. Julie, Scott and Jean.” She added with a grin. “Nice to meet you both.” She laughed and handed Lyrissa her patched jacket.

“You take care now all right? I don’t want you staying in that bedroom unless it’s because ya came for a visit.” She smiled, as they got ready to leave. Logan was carrying Lyrissa’s clothes, and Jean had her jacket. “You got it Julie. Thanks again!” Lyrissa beamed. “You have no idea how thankful we are for your help. If there’s any way we can repay you, just ask.” Jean smiled as they walked to the car. “Honey, you just keep doing what you’re doing, and that’s good enough for me. The one thing I wanna see before I die is us ‘normal’ people, and mutants living together like there ain’t a difference. I don’t want anymore families bein’ torn apart like ours was.” She answered warmly. “Thanks again.” Scott waved after everyone said their final goodbyes, and drove off.

They got back to the mansion at six in the morning after the long drive, but everyone was still awake. It was like they had raided a coffee shop. As soon as Allie saw Lyrissa, she attached herself to her, and refused to let go. Whenever anyone tried to separate them, she would throw a tantrum until they let go. Kiera hugged her for about five minutes, bawling uncontrollably, and confessing everything she had ever hid from her, Max did the same. Andrew apologized to Logan for everything he had ever done, and promised never to do anything against him again, unless he joined a prank war or something. Dante and Jamie were overjoyed to see Lyrissa again, but to everyone’s surprise Jamie had a similar reaction to Logan as Allie had with Lyrissa; the difference was he was following at his side, instead of hanging from his neck. Even Xavier shed a few tears when he and Lyrissa were reunited.

“So you like, teleported out at the last second?” Jubilee asked once everyone had finally calmed down, and stopped asking about her hair; that part was more than a shock for them. “Yep. But once again my teleportation messed up. I was supposed to come here, but I obviously didn’t.” Lyrissa answered. “Where’d you go?” Dante asked.

“The lake, like I told Andrew, where Logan took us camping.”

“Hey Logan, were you scared?” Max asked.

“Yeah, I was.” He answered honestly.

“Sparkles, are you still gonna be an X-Men?” Kiera asked.

“Well, yeah if they still want me.”

“No. No you aren’t gonna. You can’t. You almost died! You promised me you wouldn’t, you can’t!” Jamie protested. “Jamie, I can’t just quit. It’s a dangerous job, but it’s a very important one.” She explained. “I’m with my Jamie. There is no bloody way I’m letting you go out there again!” Kiera argued firmly. “Yeah.” Max agreed.

During their argument the alarms went off again. “Spawkles, no.” Allie whined, tightening her grip around Lyrissa’s neck so that she was nearly strangling her. “Sweetie, I have to.” She argued. “No you don’t, and you aren’t going to. Not yet Lyrissa. You and Logan are both staying here.” Xavier announced firmly, earning applause from a few of the kids, and Andrew. “Fine Uncle Charlie.” She sighed.

“Sparkles, you aren’t gonna stay in the X-men are you? I mean, they’re right, you almost died… we thought you were dead. We were going to have a memorial service for you both tomorrow! Do you have any idea how much we cried for you? Jazz just laid here in the floor for half an hour crying so hard I thought she was gonna pass out! Jazz doesn’t cry, ever and you know it!” Box said, being unusually emotional.

“Box, before you came to us, when you were with that gang, would you have left them if something like this happened to you? Would you leave us?”

“No, but that’s different.”

“How? They’re my family, and my team. It’s the same thing.”

“No its not!”

“How’s it any different?”

“It just is okay? You thought Dee dying was bad? You should’ve seen this place Sparkles! You have no idea how bad this was for us, I’m beyond happy to see you alive. I never thought I would ever feel this happy, I didn’t know it was possible! But if you go out and die for real I-”

“I told you guys when Dee died, I’m not leaving anyone. I made it out of this, and I’ll make it out of whatever else happens. I’m here for you guys, I always will be. Right Andrew?”

Andrew didn’t answer.

“Andrew?”

“Look, I don’t want you out there either. I won’t stop you from going, but I won’t be freaking happy with it either. You scared the hell out of us. Even the Professor was crying when he couldn’t find you guys!”

“Kid, we ain’t goin’ nowhere. No missions, no trips, nowhere. We’re stayin’ here until things get back to normal.” Logan said suddenly, sitting on a two-seater couch with Jamie cuddled up next to him. Lyrissa shot him a questioning look. “Lyrissa, they ain’t ready for ya to go out again, and I ain’t either. They want ya to stay, and I know you ain’t gonna stay here while I go out and have all the fun.” He explained with a smirk.

“I wouldn’t be happy with it, but you don’t have to stay.”

“I’m stayin’ with you.”

“Thank you, Logan.” She smiled.

Allie shifted suddenly, and pushed Lyrissa back into the couch, squishing her burn against the couch, and rubbing her shirt across it. “Oh!” she gasped quickly, leaning forwards to try and make the pain stop. “What happened?” several kids asked. “I got burned before I teleported, it just hit the couch is all.” She answered, trying and failing to hide the fact she was actually in a lot of pain.

“Al, can you go to Jazz or Andrew a sec? I wanna look at Lyrissa’s burn real quick.” Logan asked. “No!” she squeaked, tightening her grip again. “If I stand up, can you do it?” she asked softly. He nodded, helped her up, and stood behind her so he could look at the burn. She winced as he lifted her shirt and moved the bandages. “Ya need to get down to the infirmary, we need to clean this up better, it’s gettin’ infected.” He explained.

The kids refused to let them out of their sight, Allie more than any of them put together, and followed them down, and all piled into the infirmary as he cleaned and fixed up her burn, which hurt a lot even though he was being more than gentle.

Later they all fell asleep in the front room, since no one wanted to go to bed, and Lyrissa couldn’t bring herself to leave them. When the X-Men got back, they found everyone except Xavier passed out together on couches, chairs, and the floor. They left them be, knowing it wouldn’t be right to wake them.