A Raven and a Sparrow

A Raven and a Sparrow: Part 7, The Flying Dutchman

She arrived just in time to get sprayed with a mist of seawater as something rose up out of the sea. She looked up and a magnificent ship appeared before her eyes. Pale green seaweed hung majestically as weeping willow sails. The rusting skeleton stared menacingly at her, a razor-sharp scythe held high. The Flying Dutchman had arrived. A long plank was slid between the two ships. Before she had time to observe the ship further, a handsome young man with dark, curly hair and a black bandana strolled onto the Black Pearl. He had a thin goatee, and his dark brown eyes were the same shade as her own. Jack ambled over to him and introduced the two. “Will, Annabeth. Annabeth, Will.” He said quickly. He seemed to want to say something more, but he didn’t. There was an awkward pause, and Will silently speculated the group. He seemed to be particularly interested in Annabeth, studying her carefully. In attempts to end the silence, Jack spoke up. “Rum anyone?”
Everyone except for Annabeth and Will yelled, “Aye!” and went below deck to grab a drink. Jack glanced back at the two nervously, and then followed the group. They stood there for another awkward moment, and then Will offered, “So…where do you come from?”
“I don’t know…I’m an orphan. I never knew my parents. But from when I was about three, a family raised me in Tortuga.”
Will nodded, and replied, “I used to live in Port Royal as a blacksmith, but now, “ he continued, gesturing towards the Flying Dutchman,” I cannot leave the Dutchman save once every decade. I suppose you know the legend?”
Annabeth shook her head.
Will paused to think, and then asked, “Would you like to talk on the Dutchman?”
She smiled and said, “It would be my pleasure.”
Later aboard the Dutchman, Annabeth and Will were telling each other about their lives. Will explained his life and the curse, and Annabeth told him everything, from her furthest memory of being orphaned, to applying for her job on the Pearl. Although Will was easy for her to talk to, she left out her kiss with Jack. Will listened intently to her, hanging on to her every word. Annabeth felt a closeness to him, more than she had to anyone else before. As she neared the finish of her story, she looked down and said, “…I really didn’t apply for this job for the money…I was really hoping that somewhere along the journey, I might come across my family…”
There was a pause, and Will leaned closer, his eyes filled with love and care. “We’ll find your family. I promise.”
Annabeth gave him a small smile.
Will swallowed and continued, “What is your surname?”
“I-I don’t know really, but I go by Raven.” Annabeth stuttered.
Will smiled and said, “That’s a beautiful name.”
Annabeth gave him a weak smile and responded, “Thanks.” When Will was silent, she added, “Well, It’s getting late, so I’d better get back to the Pearl.”
She rose to leave, but Will jumped up. “Why don’t you stay on the Dutchman a bit longer? There’s no need to rush.”
She agreed, and Will lead her to the deck f the Flying Dutchman, where they looked up at the sky together. The stars shone brightly in Annabeth’s eyes as Will leaned closer to her. “The stars are bright tonight.” He whispered in her ear. “Yes,” she answered, “…Sometimes I think that if I search the sky long enough, I’ll find my family.”
A few stars twinkled as if speaking to her. “It was nice getting to know you today,” Will said softly.
“THERE’LL BE NO KNOWING HERE!!!” Jack yelled, scurrying onto the Dutchman. He quickly pulled her away from Will and said, “It’s time you were getting back to the Pearl, aye, Annabeth?”
Annabeth gave Will an apologetic look and walked back to the Pearl with Jack’s arm around her. “It’s late…get some rest.” Jack said quietly, walking swiftly to his cabin. She consented and did the same.