Status: Finished.

Change of Heart

Anxiety

"Good morning," Ponyboy yawned as he walked into the kitchen.

"About time you woke up," I snapped automatically. Immediately, I regretted it. After all, it wasn't Pony's fault that I was confused.

"It's only eight fifteen..." he observed slowly, giving me a questioning look. "You okay?"

"What? Oh, yeah. I'm fine."

"Okay..." he trailed off, not believing me at all. Thankfully, he didn't press the subject any further.

"Want some breakfast?" This question broke through the thick silence that had grown between us.

"Yeah, sure." Ponyboy sat down at the table and sighed. "Dally was here, wasn't he?"

"What makes you think that?" My insides clenched, nervousness and anxiety pulsing through my veins.

"There are crumbs all over the table. He always makes a mess and leaves it for us to clean up."

"Oh, right. I didn't even notice."

"I'll take care of it," Pony assured, grabbing the cleaning solution from under the sink and a couple of paper towels. "Hey."

I turned to face him. His eyes seemed to analyze me, which set off a sense of deja vu in me. I'd forgotten that, despite the age difference, Ponyboy could always tell what I was feeling. Maybe it was because he and Johnny were such good buddies, and Johnny was my closest and only cousin.

"You sure you're feeling alright?"

Since I knew at this point that Pony would know I was lying if I said I was fine, I tried a different approach. Shrugging, I answered, "Eh, I just feel a little strange today."

Pony nodded. "Happens to everyone." Not what's happening to me... "You sure you want to cook?"

"Oh, I'll be fine," I dismissed. 'I'm sure it'll pass in a little bit."

I gave him his breakfast before disappearing up into my room. Pacing back and forth, I assessed the situation. I should not be feeling like this. After all...it was Dally. Johnny had warned me that he was a bad guy, so why was I even considering him?

"Ugh," I whined, throwing myself back onto my bed as I stared at the ceiling. "This is confusing."

"You okay?" Pony asked from the hallway.

Shit. "Yeah, just trying to figure out where I put something.

Biting my lip, I waited for his answer. "Alright..." He didn't believe a word I said, not even for a second.

Briefly, I debated telling him everything. After all, maybe he could help or something. Yeah! Then he could help me put my thoughts back together and fix my brain.

Aw, who am I kidding? He's just a fifteen-year-old kid. I'd just have to figure this out myself.

When I went downstairs later, Ponyboy was sitting on the couch with Sammy and...Dally.

"Well, hey there," Dally smiled.

I gritted my teeth to keep from grinning back. You hate him. He's the absolute scum of the Earth. Just talk to Sammy and Pony instead, people who are actually worth your time.

"Hi, Sammy! When did you get here?"

Pony and Sammy shared a look, showing that my avoiding Dally wasn't going unnoticed. Something told me this little dilemma I was having wasn't going to remain a secret for much longer. "About ten minutes ago," she answered.

"Oh, okay. You hungry? You want something to eat?"

Please say yes. PLEASE say yes... "No, thanks. I ate before I came."

"I could use something to eat," Dally spoke up, stretching out his legs so they were crossed at the ankle and resting his arms behind his head.

"Then get something yourself," I snapped before walking into the kitchen to get myself some water.

What I didn't know was that Dally was right behind me. When I turned around, he put his arms on either side of me, boxing me in. "Playing hard to get, huh?"

The only response I gave him was the stoniest glare I could muster.

"That won't last long. I know you like me." He leaned in really close to my face, so close that I could feel his breath on me, and I gulped. "And plus, I always get what I want."

With that, he walked back into the living room, leaving me wondering what the hell I was going to do.