‹ Prequel: Break Down These Walls
Sequel: Now and Forever.
Status: finished : )

Safe Ride Home

They'll never understand

The house was eerily quiet. The boys had passed out the minute we’d gotten home and hadn’t woken up since. It was mid-afternoon and I was starting to get anxious. I needed someone to listen to me talk or talk to me. I needed something.

My someone came down the stairs at a quarter to four. His hair was a mess, his clothes were wrinkled, and his eyes were half closed. I smiled as Kyle came and sat beside me. He rubbed his eyes and yawned, looking so adorable.

“Good morning, sleepy head.” I reached over and ruffled his hair, making it look more astray. He gave a small smile and nod in return. I waited until he was more awake to actually start a conversation. “So, how was the rest of tour?”

Kyle cleared his throat and then shrugged. “Alright. Everyone was a little moody.”

“Like PMSing?” I smirked and he cracked a smile too.

“Yeah, something like that. How did your resting time go?” He chuckled as I rolled my eyes.

“My mom practically smothered me while my dad laughed.” I shook my head and then turned to poke him in his ribs. “Your mom was there too, bending over backwards to make sure I didn’t move an inch.”

“She told me you kept sneaking out of the house to get away from them.”

“I had to breathe! I swear it was like every fifteen minutes they had to check on me, take my temperature, refill my drink, fluff my pillows. It was getting ridiculous, so, yes, I snuck out and walked down to the park. It was relaxing.”

Kyle shook his head. “You are so rebellious.” He laughed as he stretched his arms out along the back of the couch.

“Am not!” I defended and pouted. “I just don’t like being babied.”

“Don’t I know it.” He muttered and sighed. I’m sure he was remembering the countless times I had a simple cold and he would try taking care of me which almost always ended up with me yelling at him.

There was such a long past with Kyle and me. It was weird to think things would never be quite the same, but I was sure as hell going to try to get there. At least there wasn’t an awkward tension filling our silence. It was just long because neither one of us knew exactly what to say. That was why I just let my mind blurt whatever it felt like.

“Jenny stopped by last week. She wanted to know when you would be home.” I bit my lip as the stupidest thing came out of my mouth. Jennifer Legg was a 5’10’’ blond who ran in the same music circle as FTSK had in the beginning of their career. She was alright, but she never liked me much, mostly because she was always after Kyle.

“Yeah.” Kyle seemed indifferent to the statement. I sighed.

“Maybe it’s time you took her up on that movie and dinner offer.” I suggested and then felt like smacking myself in the forehead. It sounded silly. Me pushing my ex to go on a date with someone else.

To my surprise though, Kyle laughed. “I don’t think I’m ready for that just yet, Dell.”

I frowned. “Why not?”

He made a face. “I just need time.” He shrugged and I pouted again.

“You know—,”

“It’s okay, Dell. I’ve let you go and I’m fine with you being with Alex. I, on the other hand, am not ready to dive into anything right now. I think being single will help clear my head some more.”

“Kyle—,”

“Adele.” He mocked me and then grinned. “Seriously, I’m fine. I do not need a date with Jenny. She’s not my type anyway.”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever. I tried. You’re a nerd.” I crossed my arms and stared at the TV defiantly. Kyle laughed harder and squeezed me to his side.

“Come on, Dell. I honestly don’t need you to set me up, or feel like you have to set me up.” He gave me a look and I playfully glared at him.

“I do not feel like I have to set you up.” I lied. I felt guilty. I felt miserable that I had Alex and Kyle just had our memories. It wasn’t fair.

“Good, because you shouldn’t.” He smiled and turned his attention back to the TV screen. “I’ll find someone eventually.”

My heart soared at the optimism in his voice. It gave me hope that everyone could really have their happy ending. Our hearts got broken on the road, but home was always the best place to mend them. Kyle was right. We would be okay, all of us. Eventually.
♠ ♠ ♠
Adele. this one is kind of sad ... but good. Kyle needed official closer and I think so did Dell. Now they're both ready to move on.
comments? likes? dislikes?
xooxEmber

new obsession = this band