‹ Prequel: Break Down These Walls
Sequel: Now and Forever.
Status: finished : )

Safe Ride Home

So take my nervous hand

Getting a taxi from the airport was surprisingly easy and the twenty minute drive wasn’t too expensive, thankfully. I was practically bouncing in my seat as the car pulled up to the house. I’d spent the morning cleverly getting the address without raising any suspicions. This was, after all, supposed to be a surprise.

I didn’t have any bags with me so I quickly paid the cabbie and skipped up the front walk. My cheeks were starting to burn from all the smiling and the excitement made me slightly jumpy. I giggled as I knocked on the door and then bit my bottom lip. It took a few minutes, but then I could hear yells on the other side before the door opened.

“John, you’re such a fucking lazy ass!” Kennedy shouted over his shoulder as he opened the door. His mouth opened and his eyes practically bulged.

“Tsk, tsk, Mr. Brock. It’s not polite to answer the door with profanities. Now what if—,” I didn’t even get to finish my teasing rant before Kennedy pulled me into a hug that squished all the air out of my lungs.

“Holy shit, I can’t believe you’re real. I thought the heat was playing tricks on me since I’m not used to this weather anymore.” Kennedy suddenly pushed me away, holding onto my arms as he stared into my eyes. “Wait, what are you doing here?” Worry and concern took over his whole body swiftly.

“Calm down, Kenny! It’s fine. I’m here to see you, just to see you. And visit the guys. I swear I’m not running from anything or anyone and nothing monumental has happened, well except for one tinsy little thing, but that’s what I’m here to tell you. So, can I come in?” I shut my mouth to keep from rambling anymore.

Kennedy stared at me for another moment before sighing. “Thank God. You had me scared there. I thought maybe something …” he trailed off and then cleared his throat. “You know,” he shrugged and then smiled. “You’re here!” He cheered and pulled me into another hug while I laughed.

“Yes, I’m here!” I held on to him tightly and buried my face in his shirt. It had been less than a week since I’d been able to hug him like this, but I’d still managed to miss it.

“Dude, what’s with all the screaming and yelling and shit.” John stopped in his tracks and cursed as both Kennedy and I turned to him. “Delly Belly!” He screamed and then tackled me in the doorway.

“What did I say about that nickname, Johno?” I giggled as I mockingly threatened. John tensed for a moment but then laughed too.

“Sorry, sorry. I forgot its Daisy now.” He got off of me and then helped me up as Kennedy shut the door. “What are you doing here, anyway?”

I bit my bottom lip and switched me glance from John to Kennedy and then back. “You might want to sit down for this.” I smiled and both boys looked at each other, frowning.

“You said this wasn’t bad news, right?” Kennedy uneasily shifted as John led the way to the living room.

“Right. It’s actually good news.” I beamed and then fidgeted with my fingers.

“What’s up?” John started once we were all situated on Kennedy’s couch, me sitting in between them. Kennedy reached over and took my hand in his, giving it a squeeze.

“Well, for starters … I’m moving back to Baltimore.” I blushed and the guys laughed. “What?”

“It’s the way you said it.” Kennedy explained and tried not laughing as he saw my frown.

“Like you thought we weren’t expecting that.” John continued.

“What do you mean?”

John smirked. “We all knew you’d end up back with Alex, Dell.”

“You didn’t know for sure.

“Uh, yeah, we did.”

I scowled and then shook my head. “Whatever, I’m so not getting into this right now. So I am going back to Maryland and Alex,” I cut my eyes at John as he chuckled, “and also … I got a new job!”

“That’s great, Dais.” Kennedy pulled me to him for another hug.

“Yeah, way to go kid.” John ruffled my hair and I glared at him. “Oh! I’m calling the guys over and we’ll celebrate Tempe style!” I rolled my eyes as John got up from the couch, going toward another room with his phone already pressed against his ear.

“So,” Kennedy leaned back and stretched his arms out along the back of the couch. “Why did you really come to Arizona?”

“To warn you about my frequent visiting from now on, silly.” I smirked as his mouth opened. “You see, as a result of the new job, I get to travel a bit. One week in Dallas, one week in Cali …” I trailed off and my smirk widened as Kennedy coughed.

“One week in California?”

I giggled and nodded. “One week a month. Though, I think I’ll have to spend a whole month at each new gallery to get things started, but after that, yeah, one week a month.”

“So you’ll be a few hours away for a whole week every month.” Kennedy was starting to grin too.

“Yep.” I popped the p and then giggled as he tackled me to the couch.

“This just got so much better!” He yelled and I could feel my lungs practically collapsing. “You have to come here every time you visit.”

“Of course, Kenny. I wouldn’t dream of getting that close to my best friend and not stopping by to see him.”

“You can even stay here if you want.”

“What about your new girlfriend?” I arched one eyebrow and he quickly sat back up.

“Shit. I’ve got to call her, so she can come tonight, so you can meet her. You’ll love her, Dell. She’s amazing, and she’ll be totally cool with you staying here. I’ve kind of already told her about you.” He smiled shyly and ran a hand through his hair.

“Oh god. That probably means she thinks I’m out to steal you away and hates my guts.” I put my head in my heads and Kennedy chuckled.

“Actually, she thinks you’re pretty awesome too.”

“Too?”

Kennedy shrugged. “I may have bragged some about your wicked guitar skills and your voice.”

“Kenny!” I whined.

“What? You’re amazing. I showed her some of the footage from the beginning of the summer, and she agreed.”

“And you’re sure she doesn’t think I’m going to steal you away.”

“We are best friends, Adele Walker, and any girl I ever date is going to have to live with that. We’re kind of like a package deal.” He smiled and it melted my heart.

“You’re amazing, Kennedy Brock.”

“Only because I love you.” He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me to his chest. I grinned and closed my eyes.

“I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Adele. I love this one : ) Kenny's such a sweetheart. I'm glad he's finally got a girl too. he's too special to be heartbroken. comments? thoughts? predictions? there are only two more chapters for this one guys so get your feedback in now!
xooxEmber

inspiration :: those boys X D