‹ Prequel: Break Down These Walls
Sequel: Now and Forever.
Status: finished : )

Safe Ride Home

I'll be your safe ride home

“Holy shit.” I muttered and rubbed my sweaty palm on my jeans. My pulse was racing and my lungs were burning for air. This was not a good plan anymore and it would definitely not be a good plan if I passed out before I could do anything.

“Calm down, girl!” December scolded in my ear over the phone. My heart jumped as I heard Alex’s voice in the background. “I’m talking to Kara. Leave me alone!” There was a loud thud in the background and then cursing in Alex’s voice again.

I bit my lip. “He still doesn’t know I’m here?”

“That’s a negative, sweetie. Though it is a pain in the ass.” I rolled my eyes and smiled a little. “We’re almost to the little café now. I’ll talk to you later, Kara. Bye.”

“See you in a few, Ember.” I clicked the phone shut and then put it in my pocket. My heart started to beat faster, as if that was actually possible.

I couldn’t believe I was finally in Baltimore again. This would be my chance to set everything back to the way it should be. I could have Alex back and that was the most important thing to remember.

Just imagining his face and his embrace made me swoon. The anticipation was literally driving me crazy. I wanted to see him. I missed him. God, did I miss him. Making us have time apart was the worst/best decision I ever made.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. It was best not to think about him. Thinking about him only made me more nervous. I breathed in deep and closed my eyes.

“Hey, Dell?” My eyes snapped opened and raised to the boy in the doorway. He smiled and gave me a thumbs up. “The kid’s here.”

“Great, thanks Tom.” I nodded and gave a weak smile back. This was it. I sighed and stood up, taking Jack’s old acoustic guitar up with trembling hands.

“Does this guy know how lucky he is?” Tom chuckled as I walked by him. He had so kindly gotten me clearance to play in the café and, to add to the effect of the surprise, let me chill in the employee lounge while I awaited Jack, December, and Alex’s arrival.

I smiled as we walked side by side down the back hallway. “I’m the lucky one, silly.”

He shook his head and laughed some more as he placed his hand on the door. “You ready?” I stared at the door as if I could see through it and bit my lip.

“Yeah, I’m ready.” He pushed the door open and I gasped. It was like my eyes immediately glued themselves to back of Alex’s head. It made me smile, just seeing his coffee colored hair. My heart jumped into my throat. How am I supposed to sing if I can’t even talk?

“Dell, you’re going to have to move.” Tom pushed me slightly and chuckled as I stiffly stepped forward.

“Right.” I breathed out and somehow managed to make it to my stool set up in the corner. Alex’s back was still facing me, but now Jack and December could see me. December got this wide, crazy grin on her face while Jack smirked. Neither of them was too good with secrets. I was slightly surprised they’d managed to keep their mouths shut this long.

The café was small enough and I was close enough to their table to hear their conversation. “What the hell are we doing here, guys?” Alex was irritated, obviously.

“Shut up, Alex. This is Ember’s favorite place.” Jack put his arm around her shoulders and practically snickered like a small girl.

“Yeah, it was also Dell’s.” Alex muttered and my heart leaped. He remembered my favorite place to get coffee. “The staff used to know us by name.” He pointed towards Tom behind the counter.

“So this place has some sentimental value?” December gushed and then squealed. “That is so cute!”

“It’s not cute.” Alex growled and then sighed, his shoulders hunching over. “She’s not here.”

“Yeah, sorry man.” Jack cleared his throat and then widened his eyes at me. “Adele should be here now.” He raised his voice, as if I couldn’t already hear him. I rolled my eyes and then dropped them to the guitar resting on my thigh.

“Excuse me everybody.” Tom demanded the attention of the entire café. He smiled and winked at me. “We have some very special entertainment for you guys and we hope you enjoy it.” He started clapping and then the rest of the restaurant clapped with him.

I held my breath and darted my eyes to Alex again. He was still completely ignoring me while he complained to Jack and December. The couple clapped along with Tom and discretely encouraged me to go on.

I licked my lips and quietly tried to clear my throat. “My name’s Dell and this song is called Some People.” My voice was soft and I doubt most of anybody heard it. But Alex heard it. He swiveled around faster than I could really breathe. His chocolate brown eyes were wide and his mouth was partly open. I smiled a little. “This will probably be the last time I ever play for anyone, and I want to dedicate it to a very special boy.” Alex was still in complete shock while Jack whistled and December smacked the back of his head. “This boy picked me up when I was in pieces. He never judged me though sometimes I deserved it. He listened to me and knocked some sense into most of my decisions. He loved me, not matter what.” I smiled wider. “And I love him.”

I strummed the guitar lightly and placed my fingers in the right spots. Alex finally loosened up and smiled as he stared at me. His eyes were soft and his smile was loving. He was everything I missed in that moment. He was perfect.

Isn't it a gamble
Layin' your heart out on the floor
Nothin' short of a miracle
When you find the one you're looking for
It's another kind of trouble trying to hang on to who you are
When all you wanna do is lose yourself in someone else's arms
Isn't it a wonder (that) we got this far

Some people aren't lucky like us
Some people they just give up
When the hard times fall
The thrill of it all is gone
Leaves you in a cloud of dust
It's sad to think that some won't find it
And others won't recognize it even when it comes
We're all at the mercy of the will of love
Some people yeah
Some people aren't lucky like us

Two lonely souls that just stumbled into fate
Look how much we've been given babe
In spite of all of our mistakes
And I will never forget I've been blessed with the gift of lovin' you
And when the going aint easy babe
A little faith will pull us through
Thank God we have each other we can hang onto

Some people aren't lucky like us
Some people they just give up
When the hard times fall
The thrill of it all is gone
Leaves you in a cloud of dust
It's sad to think that some won't find it
And others won't recognize it even when it comes
We're all at the mercy of the will of love
Some people yeah
Some people aren't lucky like us

To have someone you can laugh with
Someone you can cry with
Tell all your secrets to
To have someone who won't judge you
Someone who just loves you
No matter what, they stand beside you

Some people aren't lucky like us
Some people they just give up
When the hard times fall
The thrill of it all is gone
Leaves you in a cloud of dust
It's sad to think that some won't find it
And others won't recognize it even when it comes
We're all at the mercy of the will of love
Some people yeah
Some people aren't lucky like us


My eyes were tearing up as I finished the song. It was the last one I’d written and probably would be the last I’d ever write. I stood up slowly, sliding the guitar onto my back, and never broke eye contact with Alex.

He stood up too, that crooked grin taking over his mouth as he took steps toward me. My heartbeat thudded in my ears as finally we were only mere inches apart. It felt like forever since I’d even seen him, let alone been this close to him.

Alex lifted his hand to cup my cheek. He ran his thumb over my cheek and smeared the cool liquid I hadn’t even realized had escaped from my eyes. Of course I’d cry at a time like this.

“Adele Walker,” he whispered my name and my knees went weak. I’d probably fell to the ground if he hadn’t wrapped his other arm around my waist at that moment. Our chests were pressed against each other now and I was unintentionally holding my breath. Alex smiled. “I love you more than ever and I’m so happy you’re home.”

I blinked but before I could open my eyes again, his lips were pressed against mine. The thrill of kissing Alex coursed through my veins. It wasn’t like any other kiss we’d shared before. There was always something nagging us in the past, but that was all gone now.

It was just Alex and I, in love. My heart swelled as our lips moved in sync. Nothing in my life had ever felt this good or made me this happy. That was how I knew it was all right. I was meant to be with Alexander William Gaskarth and he was meant to be with me.

Alex pulled back first, leaning his forehead on mine. We sighed simultaneously and contently. I smiled and opened my eyes, tracing over his relaxed features.

“So does this mean you’ll be my boyfriend again?” Alex laughed and it sounded so melodic. Then he opened those eyes of his and my heart melted.

“Yeah, I guess you could say that.” He smirked and ran his hand through my hair. “I missed you so much.” There was a fraction of the pain I knew he’d been going through in his tone. It flickered in his eyes too. I kissed him quickly, but fiercely.

“You won’t have to worry about that anymore, babe.” I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, twirling a strand of his hair around my finger. “I’m yours, for forever and always.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Adele.
wow. it's over. officially. I can't believe this. three stories, eighty-eight chapters, and one love is where it ends my dears. I'm going to miss that face. I hate this part of stories. it too sad to say goodbye *sigh* and it's not like I can write another sequel ... right? *shifty eyes* hmmmmmmmm ... I love you guys! you're special and I love everyone who read, subscribed, commented, and even glanced at this story. simply couldn't have done it without you *tears up* here's my very special thank list ::

rebel.at.heart.
Sirius Black;
not mohawks; robots
aahkassidylyric
my_beautiful_rescue
samiiRAWR
Who me? Couldn't be!
sevenfold.
Crystal.Clear
Just.A.Cupcake.Lover
allzac
carcrashhearts.
joey wilson
brianna7x
purple_em
breepocket
MegansJizzin
nathaliie
Chachachloe
AcidicStrawberryBomb

all of you were sweethearts for commenting on these short seven chapters.
♥Ember

and just for good measure ... I'll leave everyone with this : )