These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Fourteen

“Hayley do you want anything?” Hayley was staring out the window thought the wooden prison bars as the large forest rolled by slowly before stopping. She wouldn’t listen to her captor. “Hayley did you want something to eat or drink?” Travis tried desperately to get her to talk to him. “Hayley?” He whispered. She still wouldn’t look at him. “I’ll get you something anyway.” He whispered getting out of the truck.

Wandering through the seven-eleven he kept looking over his shoulder as his truck filled up on gas for the third time. Hayley had woken up about an hour ago and refused to acknowledge him.

Getting a few lunchables, some juice, and RedBull for himself, he placed it all on the counter he shot the man behind the counter a weak smile.

“Is that your truck?” The man pointed weakly. Turning Travis’s mouth dropped open at the group of guys circling it.

With in seconds Travis was bolting out of the store towards his truck.

“Get away from my truck!” He yelled startling them. Walking up to it he glared at them, blocking Hayley’s door.

“Cute kid.” One of them stated laughing at him.

“Touch her and I swear to god I’ll fucking kill you.” He growled feeling his fists tighten in rage. Pulling his keys out he locked the door with the button and walked around the truck. Putting the gas nozzle back he closed the locking cap glaring at the guys watching him.

“Locking the doors doesn’t do much for open windows.” With that stated Travis pulled his phone and lifted it. “What the hell are you doing?” Taking several pictures he smiled.

“Break my windows, touch my kid. I now have your pictures. See how far you get with that you dicks.” They glared. “Good bye.” Walking around the truck he unlocked it and smiled at Hayley once the door was open. “You okay?” She sniffled weakly. “They didn’t hurt you?” Shaking her head she sniffled. “Come on.” Unbuckling her he pulled her out of the truck, amazed she wasn’t fighting him. “I won’t let them hurt you.” Kissing the top of her head he closed the door relocking the truck and heading inside to pay for his stuff. “Thank you.” He called to the man behind the counter.

“No problem.” He stated ringing Travis’s items up. “I called the cops too. They’re always doing crap like that.” Nodding Travis looked back over his shoulder at his truck the group of kids still standing around it.

Paying Travis left. Placing Hayley back in her car seat and the bag of food and drinks next to her and opening a lunchable for her. Petting her hair he closed the door walking around his truck to the side all the guys were waiting on.

Carefully unlocking just the driver side door with the key Travis pulled himself in and locked the door right away. Turning to Hayley munching on a piece of cheese he smiled weakly.

“Do you want some juice?” He asked she weakly shook her head looking down at the tray in her lap. “If you want some, just ask, okay?” She nodded still not looking at him.

Grabbing the bag from next to her he put it in the passenger seat pulling out a RedBull and starting the truck. Sipping his drink he flipped the kids of subtly, looking into the back to double check Hayley hadn’t seen the gesture.

Once back on the road the silence was deafening. He was so use to her mindless chitter-chatter that not hearing it and know she was awake was killing him. Travis didn’t push it though, not wanting her to hate him more.

Hayley fell asleep again not long after finishing her meal and some juice. Breathing a sigh of relief Travis stopped at a rest stop and got out to stretch his legs. Opening his phone he noticed he’d missed several calls from his parents.

“Damn.” He whispered dialing his mom. Sighing he peered into truck at Hayley’s sleeping form and sighed gently. “Hey mom.” He stated once the line picked up. “I’m sorry. No I’m not running away.” he laughed gently. “Yes she’s with me. Yes I told her…” Sighing he leaned his head against the passenger window. “How do I make her not hate me? She hates me because I told her I’m her dad and thinks I don’t love her cause I was never around.” Licking his lips he looked back in the truck and stepped back from it. “Yes I tried to explain I didn’t know she was my daughter. Hell I even lied and said, no she’s asleep in the truck, I even lied and said I knew about her I just didn’t know she was mine. She still hates me.”

Travis stood around outside the truck talking with his mom and his dad for a little bit before bidding them goodbye and promising that their granddaughter would be safe and sound.

The rest of the drive to New York was just as silent as the first part of it. Travis didn’t even go to the hotel first, he went straight to the hospital since it was early morning. It took him awhile to find the hospital but once he did he was amazed he’d missed the massive building.

Pulling Hayley’s sleeping form out he tucked Tito between the two of them and wrapped her up in a blanket, grabbed a bag full of stuff for her and him and headed inside. He was afraid he’d have to talk his way into seeing Ashlee and wasn’t sure how to do it. Yet once inside the nurse knew just by looking at him and Hayley what room he needed and led the way with out a question. She kept asking how Hayley was since she hadn’t seen the little girl in nearly two weeks. Travis answered honestly and stepped into the room.

The sight before him was a heart breaking one. A fragile woman lay in the bed half asleep half dead it seemed. Stepping up to the bed he pulled up the chair behind him and laid Hayley next to her mother. He sat around for hours, his lawyer called and he went to get her. Then the two of them sat around whispering gently of the situation, though Travis didn’t want to have to talk about it anymore.

Ashlee woke up before her daughter did and froze at the sight of Hayley next to her.

“Morning.” Travis greeted sitting up straighter. Ashlee’s eyes snapped up to him, they were still so full of life. “Hi.” He waved nervously.

“Why are you here?” She croaked pulling Hayley up closer to her as best she could.

“First off if she asked we’ve been talking and you just told me I’m her dad.” Ashlee frowned. “I had a blood test done a week-ago to be sure and just told her. She … she hates me now.” He nodded weakly. “So yeah…” he licked his lips.

“Did you sign the papers?” Ashlee asked gently a smile lingering on her lips at the thought.

“No.” Her smile faded as Travis began digging through the worn out OGIO bag next to him. “I wanted to do it in front of you.” She blinked startled. “So you don’t have to worry. By the way this is my lawyer Jen.” The woman smiled waving at her. “Once I sign it she’s going to take it and have it processed as fast as possible.” Ashlee’s bottom lip began to tremble. Nodding Travis picked up a pen and laid the papers out flat before him, his nerves running a mile a minute.

“Now.” Jen stated lifting a hand. “Before Travis signs the papers, I’m not going to make him not sign them. I think the man could use some more responsibility, but I do have a few questions.” Ashlee nodded kissing Hayley’s head. “Its obvious money, and the love for you daughter is not the reason your passing her off to him. And I know you’re not faking an illness,” Travis narrowed his eyes as Jen confused. “If by chance Miss. Greenee should you make it through your illness would you still want to see your daughter after Travis has full custody or not?”

“I would. If I wasn’t as sick as I am he still wouldn’t know of her. I don’t want to lose my baby. I want to see her grow up. Send her to her first day of school,” She choked back several sobs and sniffled loudly. “her first A or first F. meet her first friend,” Travis looked at Tito clutched in Hayley’s grasp. “Send her to her first day of high school, threaten her first boyfriend.” Travis grimaced at that one. He’d forgotten about boys and girls mixing later in life. “Yeah.” Ashlee giggled at Travis’s face. “I feel the same way but you get to be there for it.”

“Just so you know in advance, any boy touches her before she’s thirty I’m running them over with my monster truck.” Travis stated honestly causing Ashlee to laugh gently. “And you’ll see her grow up.” Ashlee shook her head. “If you don’t make it through this you’ll watch her from heaven and laugh saying ‘Travis has to clean that up’ or something.” Ashlee laughed again.

“Maybe so but I still won’t be there.”

“Okay so now that that’s passed. Is there anything you want Travis to do for Hayley once you’re gone? Final wishes besides take care of her? Send her to a certain school, do this or that for her?” Jen asked her questions making Travis uncomfortable.

“No. But I do want Travis to give her something when she’s older.” Ashlee never once looked away from Travis as she reached around her neck removing a necklace. “It was my dads wedding ring and his cross. She doesn’t remember him but he was around for a short period of time during her life. The only one that didn’t hate me for not giving her up or getting an abortion.” Licking her lips she pointed at the dainty ring. “That’s my ring. My dad gave it to me when I was little I want her to have it. I want you to tell her who I…was, because I know she’ll forget me when she gets older. I don’t want her to never know of me.” Nodding Travis slowly took the necklace. “That’s all I want.”

“Now, before you go do you want to see Hayley again?” Jen asked gently

“No.” Ashlee whispered playing with Hayley’s hair. “Love her and I don’t want her to see me like this anymore. I want her to remember me for the mother I used to be not the bed ridden one hooked up to monitors.” Jen and Travis nodded.

“Travis you can sign now.” Jen whispered.

Travis did as told and signed the papers. Once he’d finished filling them out he handed them over to Jen who quickly bid the group goodbye as Ashlee began to cry. At the crying Hayley began to stir and sit up.

“By the way.” Travis whispered. Ashlee looked at him confused. “You get to meet her first friend.” Her confusion was evident as Travis gave a weak smile.

“Mommy!” Hayley screamed clinging to the woman tightly. “Eyes luvs yew mommy!” She giggled as Travis sat in his chair awkwardly. He felt like he was invading on a personal moment. “Eyes do!” She giggled kissing her mothers cheek.

“I love you too Hayley-roo!” Ashlee giggled as Hayley smiled widely. “I hear you have a friend.”

“Uh-huh!” She held up Tito. “’Ims name Tito! ‘Ims a ‘iger!” She rawred at her mother, before giggling and hugging the tiger closer to her chest. “’Ims pro’fects me!” She added just as eagerly.

“Yeah? Did your dad give him to you?” Hayley scowled at the question. “What’s wrong?” Hayley looked over at Travis before hiding her face in her mother’s chest. Travis sighed gently and looked down at his lap. She still hated him.

“’Im no my daddy. Eyes no w’ike ‘im!”

“Hayley Marie! Don’t say that.” Ashlee scolded. “He is your dad so you better be nice to him.”

“Why ‘ee no d’ere!” Hayley yelled hurt as more tears flooded to her eyes. Travis wasn’t sure if she could cry anymore.

“That’s my fault Hayley not his.” Hayley didn’t stop scowling. “He was always busy so I never told him. I never planned on telling him either.” Hayley looked at Travis then at her. “Then I got sick and I wanted to make sure you knew because I don’t want you to have to deal with your grandmother all the time like before. That’s not fair to you and I realized it’s not fair to him to never know he has a child, a beautiful wonderful daughter like you. Don’t be mad at him Hayley, be mad at me. I was the one keeping you from him. It’s my fault not his.” Hayley kept scowling as she glanced over at Travis. “You’re going to have to learn to like him,” Ashlee laughed. “You’re going to live with him now. With your dad.” She tried to make it sound chipper and happy as Hayley kept scowling.

“No.” Hayley laid on her mother hugging the frail woman close.

“Yes.” Ashlee stated sternly earning a whine of distaste for Hayley. “Don’t try to argue it either missy you know better.” Hayley whined again.

“Eyes wanna bees wif yew!” Hayley whined.

“I’ll be around but Travis is nicer than Grandma and he’ll take better care of you too. I’ll still be around.” Ashlee lied.

“Pom’ise?” Hayley whimpered.

“Promise.” Ashlee smiled at her daughter. “Now you be good for him, okay?” Begrudgingly Hayley nodded for her mother and snuggled into her side with a pout. “No pouting.” Ashlee laughed.

Travis sat in the hotel room for two days, in and out, watching how Ashlee and Hayley worked together, trying to be apart of the dysfunctional family. The only thing he’d learned was Hayley would talk to him but she wouldn’t address him. He wasn’t dad, daddy, anything to address a father and he didn’t expect that right away but he wasn’t even Tabis anymore. Hell he wasn’t even ‘hey you, yes, you with the face.’ Or something of the nature. Hayley would wait till he looked at her to talk to him or tug on his pants leg or sleeve. Nothing to address him and that stung a bit. A two-year-old hurt his feeling more than any other person he’d ever met in his life, more than any injury hurt.

After two days Travis felt like he’d known Ashlee the whole time. Laughing gently at her jokes she looked over at the clock and stopped smiling.

“Okay, time to go.” Hayley pouted as Travis frowned. “It’s that time again.” Hayley groaned as Ashlee passed the toddler to Travis.

“What’s going on?” Travis asked holding Hayley carefully.

“My mother will be here in the next twenty minutes so you need to leave so she doesn’t do anything stupid with you or Hayley. She’s not that great of a person. She’ll come in here and make it seem like I’m sick because of something I did or that being a single mother is the reason why I’m sick. God is punishing me for having child out of wedlock or something stupid. It’s safer and better if you leave now.”

“Ok.” Travis nodded gathering their things. Hayley began crying. “Hey, Hey,” He rubbed the little girls cheeks. “We’ll be back before you know it. Say goodbye for now.” He set her on the bed and kept collecting his things.

“Do you want to see grandma?” Hayley panicked kissing her mother goodbye and made grabby hands for Travis.

“Ha, the evil one comes.” He teased picking her up. “I promise we’ll come back soon.” He stated to both girls, Ashlee shook her head but Travis nodded and left the room before she could protest.

Hayley hid herself in Travis chest as they left the hospital passing several people. Travis had no idea which one could possibly be her grandmother, if Hayley’s grandmother was even in the hospital yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so this one's extra long 'cause I'm stuck on 'Falling on Deaf Ears'.
I've rewritten it half a dozen times and its not right and I don't like it.
So sorry on that front, I'm working on it. I promise.
Thank you for reading! I love you guys!