These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Fifteen

“Hi Hayley.” Hayley looked up at Debbie and Robert from between Travis’s legs concerned. Suddenly not only did she have a father, or something like it, and now she had a grandfather and another grandmother. “I made lunch…” Debbie tried to coax the little girl out from between Travis legs.

“Good luck. She’s only clinging to me cause you guys are here. Usually it’s Tiny or Moose, never me.” Travis stated holding a juice box down to her awkwardly. He’d never had to pass someone something between his legs with out actually having to go through his legs.

Hayley took the drink and put the straw in her mouth.

“You remember my mom and dad, right?” Travis asked watching Hayley nodded. “You know what that means right?” Hayley looked up at him. “She’s your Gi Gi and he’s your Pop Pop.” Travis stated only getting a confused look. “Your grandma and grandpa” He tired.

“Why dey call Gi Gi an Pop Pop?” She asked simply.

“It’s easier to say.” Travis shrugged at her. “Why don’t you go say hi?” Hayley looked up at the two warily, unsure if she should say anything.

“Hed’o.” She whispered nervously up to them. Debbie smiled down at the little girl.

“Are you hungry?” Debbie asked gently, only to watch Hayley nod slowly. “Then come on. Let’s get you a good home cooked meal.”

Hayley looked at the woman’s out stretched hand nervously. Before her the witch smiled kindly at her with out stretched green hand wrinkly hand making her nervous of what she should do. Timidly she took the witch’s hand knowing she had no other choice with the giant standing over her and goblin sitting at the table. The witch’s smile grew as she led Hayley around through her cave and around to were the goblin sat at the old wooden table.

Crawling up into one of the chairs Hayley looked around at the giant across the table from her. Whining she watched as the plate was set in front of her. Travis sat next to her and began to eat as she eyed the food. She ate slowly watching the three around her.

“Come on Hayley.” Travis called as she hugged the post on the stairs tightly. “Do you want to me like Tiny?” He pointed at the dog sitting on the ground with his long hair growing in his eyes. Hayley pushed her bangs back. “It’s just a hair cut. I’m getting one too.” He pointed out as he pulled off his hat, showing his growing and ever expanding curls of hair. “I promise it won’t hurt!” He stated with a sigh. “Either you can come with me willingly or I will drag you kicking and screaming.” Hayley simply hugged the post tighter as Travis huffed at the little girl.

A month with her and he still wasn’t dad, or ever Tabis again. She sooner hid behind Tiny and Moose than going to him, his parents, or his friends. It stung, but he pushed past it.

“Hayley Marie.” He sighed walking over crouching behind her. “Don’t make me fight you.” He breathed sadly. He wanted back the chattering, playful little girl he had before he became her dad.

Grabbing her arms gently he pried them away from the banister, her legs following as she struggled wildly. Travis hauled her to the truck and wrestled her into her car seat. She glared at him with her arms crossed over her small chest.

The drive to the mall was quite. Travis was almost used to it, almost. It still hurt.

The lady at Supercuts cutting her hair had no idea what to do as Hayley kept trying to run and snapped her teeth at the woman’s wrist. Travis pointed a finger at her being stern, it only got her to sit still for a few minutes, but not long enough to get all of her hair cut.

“Hayley Marie Pastrana.” He pointed again getting a whine from the little girl. “Just sit still.” He warned, hoping he was coming off as fatherly as he could and not like a douche instead.

Once Hayley’s hair was cut he sat down, holding the pouting little girl in his arms tightly so she wouldn’t run off as he had most of his hair chopped off. He’d been too lazy to get it cut sooner when he probably should have.

“See not that bad.” He laughed as the still upset toddler in his arms as he left the mall. “I promised it wouldn’t hurt didn’t I.” She glared at him before placing her head on his shoulder, her way of saying she was going to ignore him with out saying a word. “I’ve never heard you talk to little, little one.” He breathed heading out into the cold hair.

“Travis.” He hummed at his mothers call for him, eyeing the room before him. He’d finished painting it pink and purple and was no looking at all the stuff jammed in the middle. He still couldn’t believe one of the rooms in his house was pink and purple. “What are you…oh it’s so cute Travis.” Debbie cooed eyeing the room he was making for Hayley.

“I figured she needed her own room. I’m sick of stepping on Barbies.” He mused, trying to justify why he was giving Hayley the room across the hall from his.

“Trust me, you’ll still be stepping on Barbies.” Debbie hummed at him. Travis simply rolled his eyes

“Maybe you should stop buying them for her.” He mused watching his mother. “And dad can stop with the hot wheel cars.”

“Which weirdly enough she likes more than the Barbies.” Debbie pouted at the idea. Travis frowned as well. Hayley had warmed up to Gi Gi and Pop Pop but not him. Hell Hayley loved his dad more than anyone he figured with how she followed him around like a lost puppy, babbling on and on about nothing. Like she use to do to Travis. “Anyway what happened to Hayley’s hair?”

“We went and got hair cuts today but she wouldn’t sit still.” Travis mused gently. Debbie huffed.

“I told you I’d cut her hair.” With that Debbie turned around calling for the toddler.

“I told you I’d…ow.” He groaned, mid mimic of his mother, holding his arm as a shoe bounced off it. “That was uncalled for!” he yelled rubbing the sore elbow. “And that was my bad elbow!” He added with out thinking.

“You don’t have a bad elbow yet.” Debbie called proudly. “So ha! That’s what you get.”

“You’re worse than Jo!” Travis huffed closing the door to the room. He didn’t want Hayley to see it yet and was happy she wasn’t tall enough to reach door knobs yet.

He paused mid step as the thought hit him. What was he going to do when she grew a few more inches and could reach the doorknobs? She’d get into everything, with out question she would. She was the most curious human being he’d ever met. He picked up a pen she wanted to know who made it, was color ink was in it, what he was going to write with it or if he was drawing something, and if he was writing something she wanted to know who it was for and why. So many questions over a pen let alone if he had something else in his had.

Rubbing his face Travis let out a deep breath. He’d have to tie her up once she was tall enough or atleast tie her hands behind her back. She wouldn’t mind that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. :]