These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Thrity-Seven

Looking down at the sleeping little girl Travis ran a hand over his mouth with a deep sigh. Every night he went to bed thinking he couldn’t be a father, that he would fail horribly. Yet as he sat there thinking of how he couldn’t do it he knew when he woke up in the morning to Hayley poking at his face screaming ‘daddy wake up’ at him he would try to be a dad. To him that made him wonder if that’s what it meant to be a dad. Just trying.

Running his hands over his mouth he laid down, turning off the light and rolled over to go to sleep. He’d be up all night again if he tried to ponder what it meant to be a dad again.

He looked around confused. He was simply sitting in his living room with the television on in front of him. Scratching his head he looked at what was on the screen. Hayley was waving at the camera with a flush on her face and Tito tucked next to her. She was laughing as Jolene lifted her up and smiled at the camera as well.

Travis smiled at the two as he and the rest of the guys appeared in the background pushing dirt. Hayley looked about three or four. He seemed to vaguely remember the day.

“Say hi to GiGi.” Jolene stated helping Hayley waved.

“Hi GiGi!” Hayley giggled. “Hi Pop Pop!” She added before hiding her face in Tito. Jolene laughed.

“What’d she say?” He knew that voice but he couldn’t place who it was. “What’d you say Hayley?” They asked. It was a woman but that was all he seemed to be able to figure out.

“I don’ wanna leave Pop Pop out!” Hayley yelled, giggling wildly as tried to hide into Tito. “Daddy!” She screamed. Travis remembered popped up at the shrill giggled scream. “Mommys are being means!” She laughed.

“We are not!” Both women stated, both Jolene and the woman behind the camera stated. Hayley simply nodded. “We are not!”

“She doesn’t like cameras!” Travis yelled up the hill with a laugh. “That’s why she thinks you’re being mean. And you call yourself mothers, can’t even remember your child doesn’t like cameras.” He teased going back to work.

“Oh hush you!” They both yelled as Hayley smiled and clapped wildly.

Travis stopped at the sound of heels. He didn’t know anyone that wore heels. Looking up he froze his heart nearly beating out of his chest at the sight before him.

“Wh-what are you wearing?” He gasped surprised at the woman moving through the living room.

“Cloths.” She scoffed picking up her purse.

“You call that cloths? I call that underwear!” He gasped at the small short and tank top that showed far too much. “Actually I can see your underwear! Why are you wearing…you’re not leaving the house in that.” He snapped standing up and hurrying across the living room. “Hayley Marie!” He snapped.

“Bye dad!” She closed the door behind her just as he reached her.

Swinging the door open he frowned at her climb into a car full of other kids, several of them male. He swallowed heavily as it drove away. Closing the door with deep breaths he slowly moved back to his seat and looked at the little girl on the screen.

“What happened to my little girl?” he whispered sadly. Covering his mouth he groaned and rubbed his arm slowly with a groan. Licking his lips he looked up at the sliding door open and Jolene stepping in. “What happened to our little girl?” He asked sadly. She frowned. “She just practically left in her underwear and I couldn’t stop her.” He whispered. Sniffling he looked back at the television. “I can’t breathe.”


Travis’s eyes sprang open to see Hayley hallway up his chest. She looked just as surprised to see him as he was to see her. Letting out a deep breathe he grabbed his chest, his heart still thundering away just beyond his ribs. He still couldn’t breathe.

“Daddy?” Hayley whispered concerned. “Daddy?” Travis simply groaned as he held his chest. “Daddy?” She pushed on his chest a bit.

“What Hayley?” He asked concerned. He’d never had a night terror like that before, nor had the lasting effects of a night terror ever felt like this.

“Yous okay?” She whimpered.

“Yeah.” Travis swallowed as he sat up slowly. “I’m fine.” He forced a smile at her as his back popped. “Oh yeah.” He smiled as the pain faded away. “I’m fine.” He laughed at her honestly this time.

“Sure?” She pressed eyeing him.

“Stop talking to Jolene and GiGi. You’re turning into them.” He laughed picking her up.

“No! I w’ike them!” She giggled. “Eyes’ hungie.”

“Me too. Lets get dressed and get breakfast.” Hayley cheered at the idea as Travis moved to their bags. “Now.” Hayley stopped cheering and giggling. “You gotta promise daddy something.” She nodded watching him. “You’ll always wear all your cloths while in public and you’ll only be friends with boys no matter how pretty they are okay?”

Hayley paused scrunching her mouth and nose up at him. Travis blinked surprised that his daughter was debating her options. Licking his lips he waited for the genius to go over her options.

“Sooooo,” he tapped her fingers against her lips. “Eyes only bes friends wif boys, otay. Eye no want more.” Travis felt a weight lift off his shoulders. “Eyes jus w’ink deys pretty.” She giggled. Travis nodded. He was okay with her thinking they were pretty and nothing more but friends. He could easily deal with that. “And eyes otay to be nakey at home?” She pressed. Travis laughed knowing how hard it was to keep her in cloths while at home.

“Yes. Just in public you need to have cloths on always.” He stated.

“Otay. Eyes do those.” She stated seriously. Laughing he nodded helping her get dressed in her pink dress and little pink flannelled DC sneakers. “Mommy!” She cheered as Jolene entered the room. “So wes mades deal you as to too!” She cheered. Travis laughed as his neck felt warm.

“You made a deal? What kind of deal?”

“She always has to wear cloths in public, and can only be friends with boys.” Travis coughed. “I’ll explain why later.” Hayley giggled.

“Buuuut!” Hayley sang with a finger up. Jolene and Travis looked at her. “Eyes allows be nakey at home!” Travis laughed realizing Jolene was one of the people that forced her into cloths at home. “So eyes otay to bes nakey at home!” She added with a stern look.

“Well I’m not agreeing to that.” Jolene smiled as she leaned towards Hayley. “Daddy may let you be nakey at home.” Travis looked away from her hard glare. He gave up after five minutes of chasing her unless it involved a bath. “But GiGi and I won’t.” She stuck her tongue out at her. Hayley scrunched her nose up with a groan like growl.

“Nos fair.” She pouted.

“Daddy’s the fair one I’m the mean one.” Jolene teased. Hayley groaned again.

“Daddy!” Hayley whined as she pouted at him.

“Hey. We made a deal. Never said anything about mommy agreeing to it.” Hayley crossed her arms upset.

“Nos fair.” She pouted again. Travis simply picked her up with a laugh and kissed the top of her head.