These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Forty-Eight

Travis stopped and looked out of the tent, a tag around his neck stating family member instead of observer like it’d been years ago. Officially his life was the best as he smiled at the four women that ran his life and kept him in check: His mother Debbie, his wife Lyn-Z- of who knew how many years since he always forgot their anniversary, never failed on that-, and Jolene all were fusing over his fifteen year-old daughter who was making weird hand gestures while she talked to his almost six-year-old son. Laughing he watched as she made a face back at him ignoring her two mothers and Gi Gi easily.

“Hayley.” She looked up at him startled. “Let’s go.” He laughed nodding his head.

“Okay dad!” She called. “Let’s go Trace!” Ushering the six-year-old along quickly they ran over to him. “Let’s go before they tell me something else!” She gushed. “I’m losing my mind.” She giggled. Trace laughed as her and let her.

Travis stuck his hands in his pockets once he’d reached the bottom of the hill Hayley had rolled down with Trace. Both covered in dirt. Shaking his head he kicked some lose top soil at them with a comment to get up.

“You going to lay in the dirt all day or you gonna walk the track before the race?” Hayley sprung up as Trace did. “That’s what I thought.” He laughed. Looping his arm over her shoulder he gave her a side hug and let her walk in front of him looking for good lines.

“So mom says you’re first big thing was at fifteen too.” Hayley looked back at him. Travis nodded. “It was x-games right?” he nodded again knowing talking to really to need happen with Hayley she would go on without him say a word. “That’s cool. Gi Gi said it has to run in the family.” She added.

“Maybe. I know she’s not to thrilled that it might.” Travis laughed. “You know I’m proud of you.” He stated picking Trace up on his back and giving the boy a piggy-back ride. Hayley smiled. “A professional race at only fifteen…”

Hayley groaned with a smile knowing it was coming just by the pout he was giving her. It came up every time she pulled on her helmet or her jersey. He always gave her crap about it, and all she could do was give him crap back for what was on his jerseys and helmets.

“Did you have to go with Suzuki Rockstar? Why couldn’t you go with Redbull?” he pouted. “It’s part of the family business. Suzuki, DC, Redbull.”

“Yeah ‘cause I want wings coming out my butt,” she pushed it up at him getting a groan a distaste. “Pfftt. You may be okay with fluttering around like that but I’m not. I’m a rock star!” She flexed her arms at him with a giggle.

“Yeah, yeah you sound like Jo. Oh and did you tell your mothers yet?” Hayley stopped dead in her tracks before continuing on quickly. Travis glared at her. “We had a deal missy.” He snapped sternly. “No big race till you told them!”

Hayley placed a hand on the side of her face to block her view of her dad as she tried to rush away from him quickly, still looking for good lines. There was no way she was going to tell them, but she’d lie to him about telling to them race. That wasn’t as deadly as telling them she’d turn down going to Harvard and every other college that wanted her now that she’d graduated high school.

“We had a deal!” He stated.

“Yeah well your deal is a suicide sentence!” she called as he grabbed her pulling her back. Trace was simply laughing and watching from atop his father’s shoulders as they argued. “Do you think they’d actually, dad, do you think they’ll actually let me race if I tell them now? I have to show them I’m good at this.” Travis frowned. “Jo might be okay with it… but mom and Gi Gi they’ll kill me first that I told everyone no for this. You know how much they wanted me to go to college and expand my brain power across the world.” Travis pursed his lips. “New deal.” He rolled his eyes. He always got cheated on this ‘new deal’ crap with her. “Three races. I need three races to prove myself to mom, then I’ll tell them and run for my life from Gi Gi then. Deal?” She asked weakly, worried.

Travis simply nodded. This was what she wanted he’d give it to her.

“Fine.” He groaned. “But next time we make a deal you have to stick to it!” Saluting she turned and they kept walking.

Hayley smiled behind the gate, helmet and goggles on. The throttle twisted in her hand and the clutch in. Swallowing she watched the woman walk out with the time card raised. Her heart beat double as everything slowed around her. She stared ahead of her unblinking as the card turned to the side and the woman began walking to the side.

The gate dropped and she popped the clutch taking off and shifting gears as fast as she could. Taking the hard right corner she laid on the throttle wide open in the straight away. This was way better than a stuffy college.

Travis cheered with everyone else as he watched Hayley get the hole-shot. He cheered louder than anyone else other than Trace who cheered his sister on wishing he was racing with her. He was so proud of her. He’d rather cheer her on at the side of the track than call her every few days wondering how school was going.

His eyes turned to Hubert, who was doubling as her mechanic as well, began writing on the board. ‘Don’t do it Little Bird.’ Travis frowned and nudged his friend confused. Hubert simply pointed at the corner at the end of the straightaway past the mechanics. It was a nice big, long and at the moment smooth dirt corner. Travis grimaced.

“Don’t do it kid.” He whispered watching her start her away around.

Hayley ignored the sign as she came up to the corner. Sitting up right at the end of the straight she actually turned the bike almost completely sideways letting the back tire and her momentum sling her around the curve of the corner like they used to do during the old simple loop races of the sixties. She’d seen in the movie On Any Sunday. She loved doing it too.

Travis grimaced as Jolene cheered, his mother screamed in horror having never seen Hayley do it before, and Lyn-z screamed she was being stupid she was in a real race and not at home! Travis laughed and hugged his wife close to him before stepping back.

“P.S. on the note of the dumb turn, Hayley’s not going to college, she was supposed to tell you weeks ago. Bye!” He waved taking off with Trace under his arm as all of them looked horrified. He found a better spot to watch the whole race, watching the name Pastrana run circles around the track with her number under it.

“You’re so dead.” Hayley frowned at her dad’s words till it clicked and she stared at him mouth floundering. Hubert simply nodded.

“You told them?” She whined at him sadly. Her recent win meant nothing now, it was just something that had happened like a past memory. She was dead. They were going to kill her. “Why?”

“Hubert told you not to do it.” Was Travis only response. “But I’m proud of you.” He hugged her.

“Yeah well I’m running away. This is crap. How could you do that to me, your own flesh and blood!” She pouted. Travis laughed. She hadn’t changed much since she was three. Still using big water eyes and pouts on him.

Laughing he hugged her and kissed her sweaty forehead. She would always be his Little Bird.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End.
Thanks for reading. :)