So Heartless

two lives

"Power is what men seek and any group that gets it will abuse it.”
~ Lincoln Steffens.

Image

She awoke with a start that morning, her eyes snapping open to welcome the morning sun. Blinded momentarily, the woman shielded her eyes with her hands, slowly running them down her face. For a moment, she stayed like that, breathing evenly, wondering what the day held for her. She dropped her hands from her face and turned her head, blinking at the still body next to her, only half clothed. A light smile tugged at her lips, a kind of lightness radiating from her face.

She sat up, her arms flying heavenward as she stretched like a cat. She slung her legs over the edge of the king sized bed, once more glancing at her boyfriend, letting her eyes linger for just a second more. Afterward, she stood up, walking to the door quietly, barefooted.

Only clad in one of her boyfriend's t-shirts, she made her way down the stairs, slipping into the kitchen to make coffee. While the coffee was brewing, she hopped onto the kitchen counter, swinging her legs back and forth as she quietly hummed to herself. She let her lids enclose her eyes, enjoying the sound of nothing but her humming. It was a nice change from the usual bickering going on, which usually lasted only minutes, but it seemed like hours to her. She was convinced that she was too much of a softy and let things nag at her until she had to bring them up again. With a long drawn out sigh, the blond hung her head and quit her humming, just listening to the buzz of the refrigerator in the corner.

"Morning, Sophia love."

She jumped, her eyes widening in surprise. She wasn't expecting him to be up this early. And what happened next made her backpedal and think twice about whether or not they had fought the night before. He had kissed her. And he never kissed her in the morning. Something about bad breath.

"Good morning to you too, hun," she chirped, kissing him lightly on the cheek. "Coffee? I just made a pot." Without waiting for an answer, she got a cup from a shelf and poured him some, then added a little milk to it.

"Thanks, babe," he spoke, distracted by the morning newspaper he had in his hands. She only grinned, turning around and pouring herself a cup too, this time adding her favorite hazelnut coffee creamer he had purchased just for her.

"Anything interesting today?" She was on the counter again, swinging her legs back and forth like a child on a swing. Before taking a sip from her mug, she eyed the dark haired, stark blue eyed man that she had fallen head over heels for. A some sort of whimsical look came to her face, but she quickly covered it up by bringing her mug to her lips.

"Nothing really. Gotta run to the shop and pick up some parts for the mustang, but other than that, I'm pretty much free." His tone was distracted and he didn't look at her, too engulfed reading the latest gossip of the neighborhood.

"Oh .." she trailed off, biting her lip. "Well, maybe we could go to the zoo or something." She looked down at her mug, pretending not to see him shrug. "Or maybe we could go out for lunch at that new restaurant. Steve and Lauren went there a few nights ago. Lauren said that it was very classy, almost Hollywood like. Ya know, with the whole red carpet and glamour thing." She looked up to see if he was at least a little bit interested to hear what she had to say. She tried to not let her disappointment dampen her chipper mood.

"Well, I think I'm going to get dressed," she said before hopping off the counter. As she passed, he lifted his head to look at her, expecting a peck. Her smile returned and she eagerly pecked him on the lips, afterward hopping the stairs two at a time.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story. Please take your time to comment it. I'd appreciate if you did. :)