Status: Complete :)

Cry Little Sister

The End

The man John Howard lumbered back to his house, sweat dripping off his face. The nights were cold, but today was hot. He dunked his head into the tub of water outside the house and flung his shaggy hair back from his face. He didn’t notice the long tall figure standing behind him. Only the small clank of spurs gave him away. John turned around slowly and his eyes narrowed.

“Whataya want?”Charlie stood there silently, his blue eyes flashing angrily. “My wife ain’t home, so beat it!”

“I ain’t here for your wife, you miserable son of a bitch,” Charlie clarified cooly.

John straightened up. “Now just a second,” he growled. He was much stronger than this string bean and would break the little coward’s neck.

“You didn’t give Charlene a second.”Charlie spat on the ground.

“She’s gotta learn her place.”

“No...You do.” Charlie reached behind him and slowly pulled out a knife from his belt. He looked at it fondly for a moment, before turning his gaze back on Howard. “Do you know what happens when you hurt a member of an outlaw’s family? They chop off their nuts.”

John Howard’s eyes widened, sudden recognition hit his face. “You...?”

Charlie gave him his smile and pointed the knife at him. “You hurt my sister, Mister. Now ya gonna die.”

--

Charlene, Ethan, and their horse rolled out of town, stocked with the supplies they’d gotten. As they left the edge of town, Charlene spotted a rider coming towards them. Her hands tightened on the rains as he drew nearer. His hat was tilted to hide his face, his arms crossed over the horn of the saddle, reins gripped casually in one hand. He never spoke, only tipped his hat politely and passed on. Charlene looked over her shoulder at him, but he never looked back.

“Mama? What’s that?”Ethan asked pointing to their right.

Charlene turned back around. Her eyes widened. “Its smoke.”

“But ain’t that where home is?”

“Yes,”was all she said before she clucked to the horse and took for the ranch.

The whole place was burning. Flames licked at the last bits of charred wood that was once the fall away barn and house. Charlene stood frozen, her arms wrapped around Ethan, as men from town tried to quench the flames. But the homestead was destroyed and there was no sign of the owner.

1 months later

Despite the fact that the homestead and Charlene’s livelihood had been destroyed, she was the happiest she’d been in several years. Hope had been lost, until Charlene went back into town to stay. The owner of the general store came rushing out and handed her a bundle, telling her that some stranger had left it for her.

Settling on the bed in her temporary room, she ripped open the package. In her hands had been five hundred dollars in cash, and a note that read.

Do something useful with it. Go to New York like I told you. You don’t have to worry about him anymore.

After that, Charlene’s luck only increased. Only two weeks after John went ‘missing’, she met Alex Sutherland, a young rancher who was looking to expand his parent’s estate. He was her own age, handsome, had money behind him, and best of all he loved Ethan. Many other women went after him, but he only had eyes for Charlene. For once, Charlene was finally happy.

The day was warm, the bright sun shining in the Arizona sky. Charlene dismounted from her brown mare and looked over the patch of dry land. Sadly, it looked better as bare land than it did with the buildings. However, she looked over the dusty area with...sadness perhaps. Maybe it was because it was the last place she’d seen her brother. No matter how ruthless or cold-blooded he was, she still felt grateful to him in a way.

The approach of a horse’s hooves made her turn around. A man came riding down the slight decline on a dark horse. He had a short trimmed beard and a thin brimmed hat. He stopped his horse in front of her.

“Miss Charlene Prince?” he asked in a deep voice.

Charlene looked at the man wearily, hiding her surprise. No one knew her maiden name around her, everyone called her the widow Howard or Mrs. Howard, nothing involving the name ‘Prince’.

“Who are you?” Charlene demanded. Her eyes went to the rifle on the back of her saddle. Alex had made her carry it, and now she was happy he did.

“Ben Wade,” the man tipped his hat to her. “And I wouldn’t go for that rifle if I was you.”

Charlene’s eyes widened. Ben Wade? That was Charlie’s leader. “What do you want?” she asked.

“I have news of your brother, Charlie.” He leaned forward in the saddle.

“What about him?” Charlene asked casually.

Ben Wade’s eyes narrowed and for a moment they strayed behind her at the horizon, then went back to her. “He’s dead.”

Surprise hit her, but she tried to conceal it, even though Wade had already seen it. She knew this day would come, after all he was an outlaw and a dangerous one too. Trying to clear her throat, she asked,“Did the law finally get to him?”

Ben looked long and hard at her, making her step nervously. “You want the truth?” he asked.

“Why wouldn’t I?” the woman snapped, baring her teeth.

“I killed him.”

Charlene stood in shock, her mouth dropping open. “You...killed him?” Ben Wade nodded. “Why? He followed you! Why would you kill him?” Charlene screamed.

“He didn’t follow an order, a simple one that had big consequences. It’s a long story.” He straightened up in the saddle. “I thought I’d let you know. No doubt you never woulda if I hadn’t come.”

Charlene stared at the ground for a long moment, before she finally spoke. “Where’s he at?”

“Contention. That’s where it happened,”Wade said.

Charlene said nothing more, she just stared up at the cowboy. Ben nodded and touched the brim of his hat. “Ma’am.” He turned his horse away and trotted away, leaving her in the dust.

Charlie was dead. Shot by his own leader. She never said goodbye to him. Never told him thank you for freeing her.

Charlene fell to her knees and did something she’d never done for any other man before.

She cried.

The End
♠ ♠ ♠
Last chapter! With only one comment!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :D Thanks to WaterXGoddess my BFFF for commenting! We love Charlie Prince! <3

"They had a lot of weapons, Mister. And they was shooting bullets."

"Hey! HEY! Not the black hat! The rancher, ya dumbshits! The rancher! The ran--BANG!"

His last words: "For a one-legged rancher, he's a tough son-of-a-bitch..."

R.I.P. Charlie Prince