Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

Something That Didn't Happen

"Sucks that Nina's not there anymore, huh?" Rudy said boredly. He was throwing a baseball up in the air and catching it as they walked. "Do you really think it was because of us?"

Tyler shrugged, "Who cares? It's probably for the best anyways. Jen was getting really suspicious about, as she calls her, 'that girl we're always talking about on the phone'." He rolled his eyes, "She nags so much she might as well be my wife."

Rudy glance sideways at him and asked curiously, "Why isn't she your wife, man? You've been dating for her for what, like... ten years now?"

"Five, idiot," He responded jokingly. For a moment he thought about the real answer to that question. It's because of her, he thought begrudgingly. To his friend, he gave the answer, "I'm not married because 'affair' is a dirty word. Cheating... not so much."

Rudy laughed as he unlocked his car's doors. "You need a ride?" He asked casually.

"Nah," Tyler replied, "I'm walking."

***

Tyler looked both ways before crossing the street. His mind was on the red head he had seen at Hooters and it was also trying to get him to think about her. He had been trying for every moment of every day to forget Marrietta since the day she had dumped him on the football field.

It wasn't even fair, Tyler thought, I didn't even know who that girl was. I didn't cheat on Mary. I would never cheat on her...

He groaned and rammed his fist into a nearby building's wall. He was so sick of thinking of her. He was so tired of cheating on Jennifer that it actually physically hurt him. He hated who he had become since the day Marrietta left him. He loved Jennifer. What was his-

And then it hit him. The red-haired girl who had served them at Hooters was Marrietta. Had she realized who he was? He didn't think so. She would have said something, wouldn't she?

Tyler paused in the middle of the street. There were no cars coming, so he was safe, physically. Inside, he felt the familiar sinking feeling of his heart sinking into sludge. He missed her. He would always miss her.

With a sudden burst of adrenaline, he dashed back in the direction of Hooters. Is she was there, he was going to get her back. Who cared if he had a meeting to go to? No one got fired on their first day as coach of the New York Yankees.