Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

Hiding Is Only A Solution For So Long

Rudy swore as he took his hand off of the intercom button. Turning around, he grabbed a pillow and smacked Marrietta gently in the face. She groaned and rolled over, blinking her eyes in the morning light.

He had no sensitivity to her grogginess as he said, "Get up. Tyler's here. Don't ask me why because I have no freakin' clue." He paused and then added, "Just go hide in my bedroom, okay? He doesn't go in there in the mornings."

"You're disgusting," Marrietta managed, rolling off of the couch. She stood up, straightening out her night shirt and said, "Are you sure it's safe for me to go in there in the mornings?"

He shrugged, "You hear anything last night?"

"No."

"Then it's safe." Rudy gave her a shove between the shoulders just as a knock sounded on the door. He swore again, this time louder than before, and Tyler laughed outside the door. Rudy put on a smile, held his hand on the doorknob and waited until he heard the bedroom door shut. Then, he flung open the front door. "Hey, buddy."

"Hi," Tyler said shortly, "Have you seen Marrietta?"

Rudy blinked, "Why on earth would I have seen her? She doesn't know who the hell I am." He replied, barely concealing the nervousness in his tone. His fingers tapped out a pattern on the door frame as he added, "Is she missing?"

Tyler shook his head, seeming pre-occupied, "I can't get a hold of her cell phone and Rodger said she wasn't home and wouldn't be home for a while, but I need her. I can't take care of Edward without her. I have no idea what to do with kids."

"Bring him here," Rudy replied nonchalantly.

Rolling his eyes, Tyler sniffed the air almost curiously. Of course, he already knew what the apartment smelled like by heart. Rudy had owned it since before they had even met at college and the stench of pot smoke was woven into the walls.

"Are you trying to get my son addicted? Because I have a feeling, and it's just a hunch and is probably completely ridiculous, but it's just that I don't think his mom is going to be all that pleased that he's smoking pot," Tyler responded, his voice dripping with sarcasm, "Plus, you probably know less about kids than I do."

Rudy smiled his usual, charming and mischievous smile, "When do you have him?"

"I have him for lunch and then the afternoon, why?"

"No reason," Rudy glanced backwards, as if he had heard a sound, "But I bet she'll get in touch with you by then. She's probably just at work or something. I've got to go though..." He let his eyes move slowly to the bedroom door and then he winked, "I have a feeling she's getting restless."

Tyler shook his head, but he couldn't help the smile that spread across his face, "Okay, have fun. I'll be sure to call you if she gets in touch with me."

"Yeah, because I'm really worried about her, Tyler," Rudy said blandly, "She's my sun and my moon, you know. I dream about her all the time and I only f*ck girls who look like her." He rolled his eyes, "I'm not you, Tyler. The mirror's in the bathroom in case you've forgotten what your face looks like. I don't care about her." And with that said, he shut the door in Tyler's face.

Marrietta came out of the bedroom cautiously and asked, curiously, "What was that last part for? You could have just told him that you'd be waiting by the phone. No need for the giant speech."

Rudy shrugged, "Yeah, well, he should know how absolutely crazy he sounds when he talks about you," He paused as he shook a cigarette out of the pack, "I thought you said you two were just friends now, though?"

"We are."

"So why is he still head over heels in love with you?"

She shrugged and bit her lip slightly. Moving towards the kitchen, she changed the direction of the conversation and asked, "Should I call him then? And ask him if he wants to hang out or something?"

He shook his head, "Too soon. Looks suspicious. Wait an hour or two, until he's like seriously freaking out about having the kid, and then call. He'll be too relieved to realize that I seem to be psychic."