Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

'Secret' Is An Ugly Word

"I'm so glad you called. I would have died out here today without you, you know that, right?" Tyler said, glancing over at Marrietta. She blushed even though she knew in her heart that she shouldn't. He was being friendly. That was the only reason he had offered to buy her ice cream after they had brought Edward home. "What made you call anyways?"

Marrietta shrugged and took a lick of her chocolate ice cream. The wind was mild, but it still blew her curly hair in every direction. The park bench was hard under her butt but she wasn't complaining because Tyler was sitting awfully close. She swore in her mind. She should not be feeling this for him.

Tyler nudged her with his elbow playfully, "Honestly, why did you call? Because I never really gave you the chance to tell me. I kind of just hit you with the Edward thing immediately."

Licking her lips, she shrugged again. Her feet had suddenly become very interesting as she searched for something to say that wouldn't be a lie but would still be a way to avoid answering his question. "Rodger... kind of got really mad that I worked at Hooters. And... he asked me to leave."

Tyler swore colourfully. Marrietta shot him a slightly amused look, but he went on as if it hadn't happened, and asked, "When did this happen? Who are you staying with? Are you alright?"

His concern might have made her laugh if it hadn't sped up her heart rate so much. The fact that he even cared made her tremble. But then she remembered that she couldn't exactly answer one of the questions and avoiding it wasn't going to be easy.

"It was yesterday after my shift. Rodger and Steven happened to be there and I wasn't paying attention and... I walked right up to them like the idiot that I am." She took a deep breath, "So that must answer your last question too. I'm... not that good."

He bit his lip and lay one hand gently over hers. She tried to look as if it didn't matter, but for some reason he made her feel like a school girl. Maybe Rudy's apartment was making her high. "I'm so sorry, Mary," Tyler said sincerely, "Where are you sleeping? And please don't say a hotel, because if you're sleeping in a hotel I'll feel horrible since you could've crashed on my couch."

Marrietta nodded slightly, "I'm not at a hotel. Umm... I'm staying at a friend's house."

"What friend?"

A swear escaped her lips before she could stop it. Tyler raised a questioning eyebrow and slid his hand off of hers. He could sense there was something wrong in her eyes, something that made her scared of him. Or maybe of something else. "A boyfriend?"

"Yeah, 'cause I rebound that fast from five year-long relationships," Marrietta retorted, the words sounding more venomous than she had meant them too. She forced a laugh and hit him lightly in the arm, "Come on, give me some credit. Or at least more credit than you would give yourself."

"Ouch." Tyler rubbed his arm but she knew he was talking about what she had said. The smile on his face gave away the fact that it was fine though and the way he looked at her told her that he did give her credit even though she had cheated on her fiance with him. And had almost gotten married to him while still engaged to said fiance. Maybe she really didn't deserve that credit.

"It's just a friend. Don't worry, you don't know them. Just know that I'm safe and I've got a roof over my head," Marrietta responded, knowing in her heart that that was probably one of the lamest things she had ever said. She stood up and added, "We should really get going."

Tyler nodded, "Do you want me to walk you to your, for lack of a better word, house?"

"I'd love it," She replied, smiling. Then she paused and shook her head, "I've got to do some errands to run and it's going to take a while so maybe I should just... see you later? I'll try to keep my cell on now in case you need some help with Edward... or you just need to talk."

He ran his tongue across his lower lip slowly before nodding. Standing up to hug her goodbye, he said, "Marrietta, do you ever feel like we're... doing something wrong here?"

"What do you mean?" She asked, pulling away slightly.

Tyler shook his head, "Nevermind," Then, with a smile, he added, "Maybe I'm a little high. I was over at Rudy's place and it... well, it stinks."

Marrietta forced a laugh, gave him a little wave and turned away. Once she was sure she was far enough away, she let out a swear under her breath and sunk to her knees beneath an oak tree. Staying at Rudy's was going to piss off Tyler. Going anywhere else would be insane. Hanging out with Tyler was going to make her kiss him. Staying just friends with him was going to kill her. She swore again. Tyler had been right. Of course they were doing something wrong. They were doing everything wrong.