In the Shadows of My Brother

Chapter 15

August 19th.

I stood on the porch with my friends. Sipping some ice brewed tea.

Tonight was the last night I’d see them again.

Well at least until holidays.

I looked at Haley.

She was my sister in every way.

She was sporting tears. I didn’t want tears. Tears only meant I wouldn’t be coming back. But I was my Mom would kill me if I didn’t.

We all sat in silence, looking at pictures from our youthful days and talking of days that seemed to be just yesterday.

August 21st

Cambridge, Massachusetts

So here I was. My day was filled with particular duties. We were looking for my dorm room.

Mom, Dad, Zina, Matt and Zacky were all here with me.

I looked at them.

My family was carrying something that belonged to my new living quarters.

We could see the stares. Zacky wasn’t exactly incognito for this day.

It would’ve been wrong to make him dress a way that didn’t suit him. Even if it was to protect who I was, but that didn’t matter to me.

His name didn’t help me get accepted into Harvard. It was him being my big brother Zacky Baker, not Zacky Vengeance.

Plus, I also think my grades and participation in extracurricular activities that might have helped too.

We walked towards my dorm room and opened the door.

“Hey, you must be Mercedes Baker,” A girl said walking in the living room.

“Yeah, I’m Mercedes Baker,” I said looking at this girl.

“I’ll leave you to set up your room.” She said walking out of the room.

I turned toward my family. I hugged my mother and father, and my other siblings saving Zacky for last.

“Thank you,” I said looking at him.

He ruffled my hair, with his hand.

“No, thank you. You taught me a very important lesson.” He said looking at me.

“What was that?” I said

“Helping my family achieve whatever dream they have in mind especially my baby sister.” He said hugging me.

I looked at my entire family, knowing that I’ll see them again. This wasn’t a good bye forever just a time apart for me to create my future.

“Don’t worry; I had to leave my family too. These are some of our greatest years here. I’m Kaycee by the way.” She said looking at me.

“Hey, let’s go check out the guys’ dorm. There’s this one guy, I know you would get a kick out.” she said grabbing my hand.

I laughed, she was right. This would be the greatest time of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments. :D