Status: Completed - Go check out the sequel :)

Save the Day

Chapter 18

As promised, Uncle Joe (eventually) taught me how to record the sound tracks for the album. He even spent an hour going over the speed of each song; he said it was to ‘make sure I got it right’. I think he did it just because he felt bad about leaving me alone for most of the day and all night.

I’m fine with being alone, it’s been great for my own music (and staying away from the Jonases was an additional plus). It’s not like I hated them, there’s no way I could do that at this point. I just didn’t want to deal with Kevin and his constant prodding to tell Joe the truth. I didn’t want to deal with the awkwardness with Joe that’s surrounded us since that night on my bus. I didn’t want to deal with Nick and his… I didn’t know what to call it, everything I guess. I didn’t want him to get all Jedi mind tricky on me (I’ve convinced myself that’s what he does to me) and get me to say things I never say.

But, of course, I rarely get what I wanted. Since the brothers had a ‘traveling day’, I was stuck on my bus with them and my uncle while they recorded vocals for some of the songs. During the entire day, I stayed in my bunk and watched the small television that was installed in the roof of the bunk. I felt like a prisoner on my own bus, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

“Morgan,” I heard my uncle call my name from the back room.

“What?” I yelled back in annoyance.

“Come here.” He said sternly. Sighing, I rolled out of my bunk and walked the five feet to where they all were. I stayed in the archway, placing my hands on my hips, waiting for Uncle John to talk. “Morgan, why did you change the arrangement on the verses on the guitar?”

I shrugged, “It sounded better. Besides, I only changed a note; not a big deal.”

My uncle sighed and rubbed his face with his palm. “Normally, I’d agree with you, but this time you can’t do it. None of us wrote any of these songs and the producers of the show will get pissed if we change anything.”

“Seriously?” I asked in disbelief. When Uncle John shook his head, I scoffed, “What happened to creative liberty?”

“It went out the window when they started doing musical TV shows.” Nick, who was standing behind my uncle, said.

“Nick,” my uncle said in a warning tone before turning his attention back toward me. “Can you just re-record it quickly for us so we can move on?”

I shrugged and walked into the booth, knowing I really didn’t have a choice. I picked up the acoustic guitar and placed the strap around my body and sat on a stool. Fixing the microphone so it could record properly and after I placed the headphones on, I yelled to my uncle. “I’m ready.”

“You can sing it if it helps you,” My uncle suggested. I gave him a death glared. He just laughed and pressed the start button.

I started playing the opening chords of the song, the way it was written. Just as the tone shifted, I heard a voice singing in my headphones that wasn’t mine. I looked up quickly, startled at the sudden voice and saw Nick smirking at me from the other side of the glass. I smiled back, but kept my (partial) concentration on the song as his amazing voice rang through my ears.

On the edge
Of something real
I have a choice
But I don’t know what to feel
Getting tired
Of all this fear
Before I choose
Let me know that you’ll be here
Let me know that you’ll be here


Joe opened his mouth and began to sing the chorus.

‘Cause I’m not afraid to fall
If you’re the one who catches me
Tell me that you’ll be there when I’m
About to lose it all
And you’re the one who helps me see
That sometimes it’s okay to fall


As I continued to the second verse, I expected Nick to start singing again. But before Nick could, Joe continued to sing. Dammit, they’re going to do this now, I thought but tried to keep my face neutral.

I’m far away
From where you are
It’s okay
‘Cause we’re under the same stars
I’m laying down
This heavy load
Maybe now, I can finally let this go
I can finally let you know

That I’m not afraid to fall
If you’re the one who catches me
Tell me that you’ll be there when I’m
About to lose it all
And you’re the one who helps me see
That sometimes it’s okay to fall
To fall
To fall
To fall
To fall
To fall
To fall
To fall


The temp slowed as the bridge came nearer, and before Joe could dominate the entire song, Nick opened his mouth and sang; staring at me the entire time. The depth and truth to his voice almost made me stop playing and jump him right there.

I’m not afraid to fall
If you’re the one who catches me
Tell me that you’ll be there when I’m


As the temp increased, so did Joe’s voice.

About to lose it all
‘Cause you’re the one who helps me see
That sometimes it’s okay to fall
Sometimes it’s okay to fall
When I’m about to lose it all
And you’re the one who helps me see
Sometimes it’s okay
It will be okay
Sometimes it’s okay to fall
I’m gonna fall

I let the guitar ring out the final chord and stared at Nick and Joe in disbelief. I couldn’t believe they just did that.

“Um…okay.” My uncle said, trying to cut the tension that was quickly filling the room. “Good job Morgan, thank you. And guys, sing it like that again and we’ll be done in twenty minutes.”

Once the words ‘thank you’ came out of Uncle John’s mouth, I practically ran out of the booth and out of the back room. Realizing that I was still on a moving vehicle and the fact that it looked really suspicious running away, I went back to the room. I grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge as a cover up.

I walked into the room and took the seat next to Uncle John by the controls. The Jonases were getting ready in the booth, fixing microphones and what not.

“So what’s going on between you and Joe?” My uncle asked quietly from beside me. I glanced over at him and saw him fixing some levels on the board in front of him. When I didn’t answer he added, “Don’t worry, the microphone is off. They can’t hear you.”

I nodded by answered with a slight lie, “Nothing.” It was slightly true; nothing was happening… now. But, seriously, why would I tell my uncle that Joe kissed me? Awkward much?

“I know something happened Morgan; I’m old, not blind. Plus, I do live on their bus, remember?”

“Stupid tour,” I mumbled sinking further into my seat.

He laughed, “Don’t worry, I’m not asking you to tell me exactly what happened. I just want you to know that Joe has been happy and beaten up about what ever happened, truth be told… so has Nick. And Kevin just seems really amused by the entire situation.

“Anyway, what I’m trying to get at is that I think you should talk to Joe, straighten things out. I know you don’t want any drama in your life right now, and if you talk to him it’ll all work out.” Uncle John said smiling at me.

“I’ll think about it,” I said honestly. He patted my knee and turned to the guys who have been waiting.

As they recording the song, I listened to words carefully, realizing they had a special connotation to me. Of course I was afraid to fall… who wouldn’t be after all the shit I’ve been through? But I did, I am. I was slowly falling for Nick.

I’ve been able to talk to him about anything and everything. He has been able to get me to smile even when I didn’t want to. He’s been there whenever I’ve broken down to help me ever since I came to LA. And I’m glad that he’s been there to catch me.

But as the song continued for the third time, my usual fears took control of my brain. Those fears that have been engraved in me since I was six. I stayed safe that way; they’ve never let me down at that aspect. So, I decided that I was to do nothing about my feelings for Nick. Do nothing at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, since I haven't updated in a while AND this chapter is shorter than I thought it was... I'm gonna upload another. Why? Because I'm in a good mood strangely. :D