Status: Completed - Go check out the sequel :)

Save the Day

Chapter 20

Listen while you read: Elephant Love Medley - Moulin Rouge Soundtrack

“Home sweet home!” Joe said excitedly as we all piled out of the black SUV in front of the hotel (our new ‘home’ for the next week).

“More like twenty minutes away,” I retorted, letting out a large yawn. It was about two in the morning since we drove to New York City right after the show and I was exhausted.

“Alright, I truly love all the banter, but I need a bed pronto.” Demi said, appearing next to me. Realizing we were still in front of the hotel, we walked inside and got our room assignments. Luckily for me, I had a room all to myself.

“Isn’t Jenn going to visit you this week? Why do you have a single room?” Joe asked as we all rode the elevator to our floor. Yeah, the entire cast and crew is taking up an entire floor. Crazy, I know.

“Yeah, but her mom doesn’t want her to stay in the city. Plus, she lives close enough to take a bus.” I answered simply. Everyone’s head nodded in acknowledgement and stayed quiet.

The elevator finally arrived on our floor, the twenty-third, and we all walked off to our respective rooms. Mine was next to Uncle John’s on the left, Mr. and Mrs. Jonas’ on the right, and Nick’s and Joe’s was directly across the hall. Fantastic. Just as I was about to walk into my room, I turned to Joe who was watching Nick try to open their door with his eyes half open. “Happy birthday Joe,” I told him with a small smile.

“Oh yeah, it is my birthday! Thank you!” He said.

I shook my head, “You would forget your own birthday. Nick Joe. Night Nick.” I said, nodding in each of their directions before closing my door.

The room was amazing. There was a small ‘lounge’ area with a chair and couch facing a plasma TV that was mounted on the wall. On the same wall, there was a door leading to the bathroom. But the part of the room that had my entranced was the large, king sized bed on the opposite wall, poking out into the center of the room. I grabbed my pajamas from my suitcase that was already in my room (we sent our luggage here earlier so we didn’t have to drag it with us). I changed quickly before diving into the bed, instantly falling into a much needed sleep.

***

I woke up hours later, fully rested. The bright sun was shining into my room even through the closed curtains. I glanced at the clock on the bedside table and sprang out of bed seeing that it was almost ten. Quickly, I took a shower and threw on a pair of simple Bermuda denim shorts and my favorite t-shirt (a gray Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt). Slipping on my flip flops, I ran out of my room with my phone and room key to the elevator.

It came quickly, but it wouldn’t go down fast enough for my liking. Once the doors opened I ran through the lobby to the hotel’s private dining room.

“There you are!” My uncle said as he saw me run through the door. “Where have you been? You were supposed to be on cake duty with Nick a half hour ago.” He scolded me.

“I’m sorry but I didn’t expect to sleep this late. And I thought I was baking the cake myself.” I said, my throat tightening at the thought of being alone with nick for more than ten minutes.

“You were and then you slept late. I had to send someone in there to start it.” He explained and pointed to the double doors in the back of the room. “Through there is the kitchen. Go, help Nick and make sure he hasn’t broken anything.”

Sighing, I nodded and began walking towards the kitchen. Since Joe was turning twenty-one today, Mrs. Jonas thought it would be a good idea to throw him a party for the family and close friends before the more media centered party tonight at Planet Hollywood. Thing was, Joe doesn’t like store bought cake, he loves homemade cakes; and since Mrs. Jonas was busy preoccupying Joe, I was in charge of the cake since I took culinary classes all through high school.

I pushed open the doors and saw Nick running all over the kitchen. “Wow Nick, you look like a chicken with his head cut off.” I chuckled.

His eyes darted toward me and relief flooded his face. “Oh thank God,” He said and rushed over to me. “I have no idea what I’m doing. It took me ten minutes to find a pan and then another ten to find the flour. And then I remembered I have no idea how to bake a cake off the top of my head, so I’ve been running all over looking for some type of recipe book.” He said in one breath.

“Woah Nick, relax. It’s all good. But I need you to relax, I already had my uncle yell at me for being late, I don’t need you going crazy on me.”

“Sorry.” He said, a soft blush rising to his cheeks as he took a deep breath. “So, what do you need me to do boss?”

I smiled and started telling him what we needed for the cake and icing. Maybe the next hour or so wasn’t going to be that bad.

The minutes passed quickly, and so did the mixing of the cake. Nick and I worked in sync in the kitchen, trying to get it ready for the one o’clock party. But since I was ‘late’, we had to stash the cake in the fridge so it could cool faster before we iced it. This left us with some time without any distractions.

I jumped on top of one of the many counters and let my legs dangle over the side. “Why does your brother have to be such a diva and need a homemade cake? I would be very content with an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen.” I said, sighing in exaggerated exhaustion.

Nick laughed, “I don’t know, but that’s Joe for you.” He said, jumping on top of the counter across from me. “So… have you thought about Joe’s question?”

Dammit, exactly what I didn’t want to talk about. “Yeah…” I said hesitantly.

“And… are you going to?”

“I don’t know. I’m still thinking about it.”

Nick sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Why? It’s a simple question, you either like him or you don’t.”

“It’s not that simple.” I snapped. “Why do you care so much Nick? This is between Joe and I, not you.”

“I just don’t like my brother being strung along.” He retorted. “And that’s exactly what you are doing.”

“No I’m not!” I yelled, losing it for a minute. Nick stayed quiet as I tried to compose myself. “There are reasons for me to be apprehensive about starting any relationship, dating or otherwise.” I started quietly. “Ever since I was little I’ve been like this. Think of it this way, besides Jenn, you are one of the very few people that know a lot about me. And I’ve met a whole lot of people these past seventeen years.”

“Why is that?” Nick asked, jumping down from the counter and stood in front of me. “Why do I know the most about you?”

I shrugged, refusing to look him directly in the eyes. “I don’t know. There’s just something about you that gets me to say all this stuff that I normally wouldn’t say; and I’m perfectly fine with it afterwards.”

“Well, they do call me the sensitive one.” He said, smirking. I pushed his shoulder playfully as I laughed. Unexpectedly, Nick grabbed my hand before it fell back onto my lap, lacing my fingers with his own. Instantly, electricity flew up through my arm into my body. My eyes flew up and met his deep brown ones, emotion flooding his face. Happiness, content, and another emotion that I refused to acknowledge covered his face and centered around his eyes. “I’m glad I am one of the lucky few to know the real you Morgan.”

A small smile spread across my face, “Me too.”

***

Nick and I (eventually) did get the cake iced and ready right in time for Joe to arrive. For a small party, there were a lot of people there (I thought anyway, when I said that to Kevin he just laughed). A bunch of the Jonas’ family was there and some of their old friends were too. Since I wasn’t much of a mingler, I stuck to hanging out with Demi, Alyson, Anna Maria, JMan, and Mdot. I had fun, and I got to know them better seeing as the Jonas’ mostly kept my attention thus far on tour.

About four hours later, the party was over and we had to get ready for the party at Planet Hollywood. This was more ‘media friendly’ so we had to actually dress up (I wondered why Uncle John made me pack a dress). I put on my simple black halter dress that fell just about mid-thigh and my black Converse (no heels) and fixed my make-up before meeting everyone in the lobby.

“Wow, you look beautiful Morgan.” Nick told me once he saw me.

A blush rose quickly to my cheeks, “Thanks.”

“Nice shoes Morgan.” Joe said, smirking slightly.

I narrowed my eyes, “I don’t have heels with me. I wasn’t planning on going fancy this tour.” I said, but Joe just smiled and started walking towards the SUV that was taking us to the restaurant. I fell into step with Nick. “He’s lucky that it’s his birthday or my ‘nice shoes’ would be up his ass.” I said to him under my breath.

Nick laughed, “I’d love to see that.” He said and jumped into the car.

The party was pretty uneventful for a non-famous like me (though I’m pretty sure my face will be all over the internet again). It was basically me, my uncle, Demi, JMan, Anna Maria, Mdot, Alyson, and the Jonases having dinner while a photographer took pictures and a reporter asked some questions. They stayed away from me, thankfully.

After dinner, we went back to the hotel and were left to do what we wanted. I went up to my room, washed my face, and put on a pair of sweats and a white tank top. I took my hair out of the messy updo I had it in all day and let the wavy mess fall across my shoulders.

Falling onto my bed, I picked up the remote and flicked through the channels. “Oh, Moulin Rouge.” I said to myself, noticing the very beginning of the movie. This was another one of my favorite movies of all time, and it just started. It was my lucky day.

Just as the opening monologue finished, there was a knock at my door. “Ugh,” I said in frustration, tearing my attention away from the TV and went to open the door. Looking through the peep hole, I saw Nick waiting patiently outside, my stomach instantly twisting into knots. I unlocked the door and pulled it opened. “Hey, what are you doing here?”

Nick smiled, “Kevin took Joe out for his first beer and since I am not of age, I couldn’t go. So, I was hoping I could hang with you.”

I leaned against the door frame, the door knob still in my hand. “I don’t know. I mean, this is the second time that I’ve been your last resort, and I don’t know if I’m okay with that.”

“Trust me, you’re not my last resort today.” He said smirking.

Feigning a sigh, I said, “Fine, but I’m watching Moulin Rouge.” I turned back towards my bed, letting Nick in. I returned to my spot as Nicole Kidman’s first musical number started.

“May I?” Nick asked, pointing to the spot on the bed beside me.

I nodded, “But shoes off.” I ordered.

Nick laughed, but kicked off his shoes before jumping onto the bed beside me, but with about a foot of space between us.

He changed out of his dress clothes as well. Now he was wearing a pair of basketball shorts with a worn out sweater covering his upper half. He looked incredibly sexy… stop Morgan, you can’t think like that. I told myself as I tried to concentrate on the movie instead of the heat radiating off Nick’s body that I wanted to feel wrapped around me.

“So you like this movie?” Nick asked as he watched the strange scene unfold in front of him.

“Yes I do, it’s one of my favorites. Now, shush.” I said to him.

We continued to watch the movie quietly until my favorite part came up. Ewan McGregor’s character was trying to get Nicole Kidman’s character to go out with him, while on top of an elephant (watch the movie and it’ll make more sense). “Ah, this is my favorite part.” I told Nick, stealing a side glance of him.

He was smirking as he watched the scene unfold.

“Love is a many spending thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. All you need is love.” Ewan McGregor said.

“Please don’t start that again.” Nicole Kidman said sighing.

As Ewan started singing, so did Nick. “All you need is love.”

“A girl has got to eat.” Nicole said as I just looked at Nick’s smirking face.

“All you need is love.” He continued; he wanted me to join.

“Or she’ll end up on the street.” Nicole said, but I kept quiet.

“All you need is love.” Nick begged with his voice and eyes.

I gave in. “Love is just a game.” I mimicked Nicole’s lines, smirking.

Nick jumped in front of me on the floor and continued. “I was made for lovin’ you baby, you were made for lovin’ me.” He sang.

I slid down the bed, letting my legs hang over the side. “The only way of lovin’ me baby is to pay a lovely fee.” I said messing his hair up.

Nick got on his knees, “Just one night, just one night?”

“There’s no way, ‘cause you can’t pay.” I sang.

“In the name of love, one night in the name of love.” He sang, standing.

“You crazy fool, I won’t give in to you.” I sang and pushed past him.

He grabbed my wrist, stopping me and pulled me towards him. “Don’t, leave me this way. I can’t survive, without your sweet love. Oh baby, don’t leave me this way.”

I gazed into his eyes and tried to remember the words, his hand still around my wrist. “You’d think that people would’ve had enough of sill love songs.” I sang softly.

Nick inched towards me and kept singing. “I look around me and I see, it isn’t so. Oh no.”

“Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs.” I sang, pulling away from him.

“Well what’s wrong with that? I’d like to know, ‘cause here I go again.” Nick sang, jumping on top of the couch, standing on the cushions. “Love lifts us up where we belong. Where eagles fly on a mountain high.”

I stood by the edge of the couch, looking up at him and crossed my arms. “Love makes us act like we are fools. Throw our lives away for one happy day.”

“We could be heroes,” He sang, jumping down in front of me. “Just for one day.”

“You, you will be mean.” I said, walking towards him; his steps matching mine, but backwards.

“No, I won’t.” Nick said, mimicking Ewan.

I sighed, mimicking Nicole. “And I – I’ll drink all the time.”

He stopped suddenly, forcing me to too, “We should be lovers.” He sang at the top of his lungs.

“We can’t do that.” I said, pushing past him, my back facing him.

“We should be lovers,” He sang, his arms wrapping around my waist, his head leaning on the base of my neck. “And that’s a fact.”

I pulled away (though I wanted to stay) and jumped on top of my bed, placing my hand on the ceiling to keep my balance near the edge. “Though nothing, will keep us together.”

Nick stood by the edge of the bed, looking up at me. “We could steal time.”

“Just for one day.” We sang together. “We could be heroes, forever and ever. We could be heroes, forever and ever. We could be heroes…”

Nick wrapped his arms around my legs, lifting me off the bed, “Just because I,” He sang as he spun me around. “Will always love,”

I placed my hands on his shoulders for balanced as I sang the harmony, “I…”

“Will always,” We sang together as Nick placed me down, moving his hands to my waist, our faces a few inches apart.

“How wonderful life is, now you’re in the,” I sang softly.

“World.” We harmonized the ending, staring into each others’ eyes.

The movie continued behind us, but we stated as is: my arms wrapped around his neck, his wrapped around my waist, each of us looking into each others’ eyes. I had to crane my head slightly, but not as much as I did with Joe. I couldn’t help but find my body fitting perfectly in Nick’s arms.

I pulled him closer, placing my head on his shoulder, hugging him tightly. “You got me to sing again.” I whispered into his ear.

He laughed as he squeezed me between his arms, “What can I say? No one can resist the Nick J charm.”

I scoffed playfully and released him from my grip. “Cocky much?” I accused, laughing.

He smirked, “Just a little. But seriously Morgan, you should let people hear you; not just me and your uncle.”

I sighed and walked back to my place on the bed. “No thanks, I’m perfectly fine singing in my room, alone. That’s the way it should be. I don’t like crowds.”

“Have you ever tried?” Nick asked, sitting next to me. “What we just did was extremely theatrical and we did it on instinct. You did it on instinct. Maybe you were born for the stage, but too afraid to give it a try.”

“Well maybe I was, but it’s not going to happen. So drop it Nick.” I snapped, pulling a pillow onto my lap, hugging it fiercely.

“Fine, I will. But you know I’m right.” He said, turning his attention back to the movie.

I sighed and laid down on my bed, arranging my pillows so I could see the movie. The sad thing was that Nick was right, but I was too afraid to admit it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry if the song part was a little hard to follow, but... wasn't it just the cutest thing? :D
I've imagined this scene like a million times, I just had to put it in.
And this is just the beginning... ;)

Song: Elephant Love Medley from the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack

Comment/Subscribe

Peace.Love.Write. -Jill =D