Status: Completed - Go check out the sequel :)

Save the Day

Chapter 21

Listen while you read: Turn Right - Jonas Brothers


…That everything that you had said to me
Was a lie until you left
Now I’m hoping –


My phone finished ringing before I could answer. I didn’t want to anyway, I was too tired. I kept my eyes closed and tried to fall back into the dreamless sleep I was in before my phone rudely woke me up. Something pulled tighter against my waist, pulling my body backwards, stopping once my back hit something hard yet comfortable.

A smile spread across my face, but quickly was wiped away once I realized I wasn’t dreaming. My eyes whipped open to see someone’s arm wrapped around my waist, cradling me into their chest. And from the feelings that were running through my body, I knew it was Nick.

I untangled myself from his grasp and checked my phone. ‘One missed call: Kevin’. Oh, I’m so screwed, I thought as I looked at Nick’s sleeping form. I could’ve sworn I heard him whisper, “Come back.” But I didn’t see his lips move nor was he showing any indication that he was awake. Sighing, I grabbed his shoulder, shaking it gently as I said, “Come on Nick, wake up.”

It took a little prodding, but eventually Nick’s eyes fluttered opened and settled onto my face. A bright smile lit up his sleepy features, “Hey, I guess I missed the end of the movie.” He said, sitting up and stretching his stiff muscles.

“Yeah, we both missed it by about eleven hours.” I answered as I tried to divert my attention away from his exposed stomach muscles. “I’m pretty sure it’s morning.”

“Its morning!?” Nick glanced at me frantically. “Shit, Joe is going to kill me.” He mumbled.

“What?” I asked, confusion written across my face. “Why is Joe going to kill you?”

“Um… because I wasn’t in the room when he got back. You know – hangover duty.” He answered, trying to cover up what actually was going on.

“Uhuh,” I said, playing along. “I suggest you go to your room then, we have to leave for the Road Dogs game in,” I started, glancing at the clock. “Twenty minutes.”

He nodded before grabbing his shoes and darting out of my room, the door closing silently behind him.

Sighing, I picked up my phone and called Kevin back.

“Hello,” He answered after the third ring.

“You rang?” I asked as I walked over to my suitcase to get a change of clothes.

“Yeah, I was wondering where Nick was. Joe slept in my room last night for obvious reasons and when we went over this morning he wasn’t there. But he just walked in… I’m guessing he was with you.”

“Nice observation skills there detective,” I said to him sarcastically as I pulled on my favorite pair of denim shorts. “Yeah, we were watching a movie last night while you and Joe were doing ‘Twenty-one and over’ things and we just fell asleep.”

“Sure you did…” He said to me trailing off.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was it. Especially since I was there and not intoxicated like a certain Jonas we all know.”

“He didn’t get that drunk, just a little buzzed. But now at least we know that Joe has little tolerance for alcohol.”

I laughed, “I bet he does.”

“Speaking of, did you answer him yet?”

“Ugh!” I yelled in aggravation. “Can everyone stop asking me that?”

“You’re only mad because I know the answer.” Kevin replied smugly.

“Shut up,” I hissed. “I’d rather not talk about this now. Plus I have to finish getting ready.”

“Alright, we’re meeting in the lobby in fifteen.” He told me, hanging up before I could reply.

I sighed in aggravation as I threw my phone onto the bed. Why must they keep prodding? I’ll answer the damn question when I answer the damn question, I thought as I pulled on a simple black tank top over my head. While I continued getting ready, I tried pushing all the thoughts of both Joe and Nick out of my head (which was mostly unsuccessful). I walked out of my hotel room shortly after, realizing it was going to be a long day.

***

“OhmyGod Jenn! What are you doing here?” I asked my best friend, squeezing the life out of her.

“What, you don’t want me to be? ‘Cause I’ll just leave if that’s the case.” She replied, hugging me with the same amount of force. This was our game, whoever needs the other to let go first due to lack of oxygen loses and has to scream a phrase one normally doesn’t say out loud.

I kept my grip around her, “No, of course not. I just wasn’t expecting you here in Connecticut! I thought I was just going to see you tonight at the concert.”

“Well your little friend Nick called me and practically begged me to take the car that he hired for me to bring me out here. So I figured… what the hell?” She replied in between gasps of breath.

I looked over at Nick who was standing with his brothers with amused faces on. “Seriously Nick? You did this?”

He shrugged, “It wasn’t a big deal.”

“Okay, let go Mo. I can’t breathe.” Jenn gasped.

With a triumphant smile on my face, I released her. “Woohoo I win, and thank you Nick.” I said, running over to him, giving him a quick hug in return.

“Again, no big deal,” He said, smiling down at me. I turned to Jenn who was just standing watching this whole exchange. “Say it Jenn.”

“Now!? I just met these people; I’m not doing it now.”

“You have to, you lost. It’s the rule.”

“Ugh, fine.” She said and took a deep breath. “I’VE GOT A LOVELY BUNCH OF COCONUTS!” Jenn screamed, sending me into hysterical laughter as the Jonases just looked at her awkwardly.

“Uh… okay…” Kevin said glancing back and forth between Jenn and me.

“It’s from The Lion King. The reasoning behind the whole thing is a long story and I don’t think either of us could explain it to the other’s liking without confusing you.” Jenn explained.

“Of course,” Kevin said, still watching me laugh. “You okay Morgan?”

I tried to pull back my laugher and I wiped my tears away, “I’m good; your faces were just so… perfect.”

“You are a strange one.” Joe said, smiling at me.

“Look who’s talking.” I said looking at him.

“Right, so… we have a softball game to play. Oh, and here are your jerseys.” Kevin said, magically pulling two jerseys out.

“These are for us?” Jenn asked, walking over and grabbing one of the jerseys out of his hands.

“Yes, but that one’s Morgan’s.” He said, handing the other jersey to Jenn.

Jenn threw the jersey she previously had in her hands towards me and held the new one in front of her. The front was just like everyone on the team’s with the basic Road Dogs logo. On the back was her last name and her favorite number, 13 (Kevin asked me all this information about a week ago). “This is awesome, thank you guys.” She said, pulling on the jersey over her t-shirt.

“Sorry Morgan, but Garbo’s already number fourteen so we had to go with your birthday.” Kevin explained as I looked at the back of my jersey.

I smiled, “No problem, but the last name…really?” I asked laughing. The red lettering on the back above the number read ‘Jonas’.

“Couldn’t help it” Kevin said.

“Plus, you won’t tell us what your last name is.” Joe added.

“So you two want marriage rumors to start now?” I asked glancing between both Joe and Nick.

“Eh, there are worse people to be paired with.” Joe said, winking at me.

“So Kevin, when does this game start?” Jenn asked quickly.

“In a few minutes, come on guys we have to warm up.” He answered, leading his brothers to the field.

Jenn and I followed so we could go into the dugout. “Thank you.” I whispered to her.

“No problem.” She said to me. “So, I’m guessing you haven’t given Joe your answer.”

I sighed and told her, “Later.” And left it at that. She found the double meaning in my words and dropped the subject as we walked into the dugout.

As the Jonases ran on to the field, shrieks of the teenage girls who were already there filled the air. “Seriously?” I asked. “I’m going to have to deal with that here too?”

“What? You thought that people would come for the game? Please, not with those boys in those pants.” Jenn responded suggestively. I just laughed as I tried to drown the shrieks out.

This was the first time I’ve been to a field, in the dugout, in a while. I didn’t realize how much a part of me the game was and how much I missed it. I was slightly disappointed that I wasn’t playing, but maybe next time.

Warm-ups progressed quickly and before I knew it, the game started. Mostly, I kept my eye on the game as a whole, but sometimes my focus would shift to Nick whenever he was out there. I couldn’t help but admire his form and how smoothly he played the game (those pants didn’t hurt either). The fact that he was playing my position, third base, seemed ironic and I smiled to myself when I found this out during the first inning. This wasn’t the first Road Dogs game, but it was the first one I went to so everything was new to me. Jenn wasn’t the biggest baseball fan, but she suffered just for me.

It was the top of the sixth inning and the Dogs were losing by two runs. Joe was up and flied out for the third time today and walked sulkily back into the dugout. It was only the first out, but there were two people on base ahead of him – RBI potential.

“You’re taking your head off the ball,” I told him as he walked past me. I was leaning against the railing watching Garbo bat.

“What?” Joe spat from behind me.

I turned and stood in front of him, “You’re taking your head out – moving it, that’s why you keep flying out. Keep your head down and let your eyes follow the ball, not your entire head.”

“What do you know!?” He practically yelled at me. Where the hell was this anger coming from? “How much do you know about his hm?” I could feel everyone in the dugout looking at us as he continued to yell at me.

“Heads!” Someone from the field yelled right in time for me to see the bright yellow ball flying towards the back of Joe’s head. I pushed him slightly and put my hand up closing my grip around the ball as it flew into my hand. It stung, but I’ve been hit worse.

“Oh, I think I know enough.” I said to Joe with a glare on my face before throwing the ball back to the pitcher.

“Well, if you’re so knowledgeable, why don’t you go play!?” Joe continued.

“I would if I could!” I retorted, resuming my place directly in front of him. “But I’m pretty sure flip flops and denim shorts aren’t the proper attire for a softball game. Just listen to me.”

“Whatever,” He huffed and walked away. “You’re worse than Nick.” I heard him mumble.

I scoffed, “Oh, and you’re welcome for saving you from a concussion!” I yelled at him before resuming my position against the railing next to Jenn. “I should’ve let it hit him.” I said to her.

“That probably wouldn’t have been the right thing to do; especially to the millions of fan girls everywhere.” She replied laughing slightly.

“But it would’ve made me feel better. Did you just see what he did? He completely freaked out on me for no apparent reason.”

“Hon, we all saw and heard. I’m not surprised if a fan said they heard you two, you were screaming at each other.”

“Fantastic,” I said sighing.

A faint smile appeared on her face as she rubbed my back, “It’ll be okay. But you have no idea why he flipped like that?”

I shook my head, “No clue.”

“It’ll work out, he’ll probably explain later after he cools down.”

I didn’t respond and kept my focus on the progressing game. No one talked to me after the incident at the field and it was an extremely quiet ride home. The day wasn’t even half over, they still had the concert.

***

“So this is where you sit every day!? This is incredible!” Jenn exclaimed as she looked out to the stage as the audience was settling into their seats.

“Well not every day. I don’t go to every concert either. But yes, this is where I sit… partially because the Jonases make me watch them perform but also partially because I actually enjoy watching everyone live.” I said taking my seat on the dirty floor.

“Don’t tell me you sit the entire concert too. How awful!”

I laughed, “Well it pissed off Joe when I sat during the first concert I saw, so I make a point of doing it all the time. It annoys the hell out of him. It’s fantastic.”

She rolled her eyes and joined me on the floor, “So has he apologized for his sudden outburst during the game?” Jenn hasn’t been with me the last few hours. I had to get some recording done and I didn’t want to completely bore her, so she hung out with Demi and the Camp Rock cast. Apparently, she and Demi got along really well (one of those ‘we just clicked’ type of things) so I was glad someone was having a good day.

I shrugged, “Kind of. He said he was sorry about ‘losing his cool’ but he did say that what I said to him was ‘a little harsh’.”

“Is that boy on something?” She asked astonished. “Seriously, all you did was try and help him out and he snaps at you. There had to be a reason for it.”

“Well if there is, he didn’t tell me, not even when I asked. He was all ‘it was nothing’ and walked away.”

“Are you still thinking about his question? Even though you know your answer.”

“And what answer would that be?” I asked in annoyance, Yes, I understand that she was looking out for me, but I was tired of the third degree from everyone. It was annoying as shit, I’ll answer when I answer.

“Um… NO! Come on Mo, you and I both know which brother you’d rather make out with and it’s not Joe. You have to tell him now before it gets too out of hand.”

“Gets too out of hand!? Jenn, you saw how he blew up at me for ‘nothing’, imagine when I turn him down because I like his brother!”

“It would be better now than if he found out while you are dating him or afterwards.”

Thankfully, I was saved by Alyson running on stage for her opening which took Jenn’s full attention. I knew I had to tell Joe the truth eventually. But how do you tell a guy who likes you that you don’t like him because you like his brother who may or may not like you back? I hate the male species. Seriously. Maybe I should just become a nun or something and never have to deal with any of them ever again; that would solve all my problems. Yeah right…

And I still had no idea why Joe decided to get pissed at me (well I had one, but I tried to keep pushing it aside). It couldn’t be because I spent the night with Nick… right?

The concert continued throughout the night (Jenn pulling me off the floor in the middle of Demi’s set). I was having fun, and having Jenn sing and dance next to me (she was an actual Demi and Jonas Brother fan) gave me an enormous boost of energy. I even started to sing along with some of the words that I picked up throughout the course of the tour.

The Jonas’ set was almost finished and the night (and Jenn’s energy) was waning thin. But something unexpected happened, something that they haven’t done in previous concerts.

“So you may have heard about this girl,” Joe started. Uh oh. “She’s been traveling with us this summer to help record the next CD for JONAS.” The entire audience started to scream at the utterance of the TV show. “And I was wondering,” Joe continued. “I was wondering if we could get her out here on stage tonight.” That’s when I realized the empty stool next to Joe. “What do you say Morgan?” He asked, turning his attention towards me backstage.

My eyes were wide and my head shook furiously ‘no’. There was no way in hell I was going to go out there in front of fifty thousand people. As time passed, the crowd began to chant: “Morgan, Morgan, Morgan”.

“Just go!” Jenn yelled at me as she pushed me onto the stage and into the view of the audience.

I sent her a quick glare before trying to gain my composure. I looked over at Joe who was grinning from ear to ear. “Come sit over here.” He told me as he patted the stool.

I complied, seeing as I had no place else. I could go I casted a nervous glance at Nick as I passed him. He just gazed at me apologetically, but in his eyes there was also some anger and resentment. What was happening? I sat on the stool next to Joe and looked straight at him, avoiding any glances to the screeching audience in front of me.

“Now this morning, I did an awful thing to Morgan that I truly regret.” Joe said, placing his hand on my shoulder. “I’m really sorry Morgan.” Couldn’t he have done this privately and NOT in front of EVERYONE!? I screamed at him in my head. “But I asked her something a few days ago that she hasn’t replied to; and I want to show her how much I want her to say yes. So will you all help me out?” He asked, directing the question towards the audience who screamed louder in reply.

The opening chords of a song that I didn’t know started to play. As Nick sang the opening verse I knew instantly that I was screwed.

Pick up all your tears
Throw ‘em in your back seat
Leave without a second glance
Somehow I’m to blame
For this never-ending racetrack you call life

So turn right
Into my arms
Turn right
You won’t be alone
You might fall off this track sometime
Hope to see you on the finish line

You’re driving all your friends out
At a speed you cannot follow
And soon you will be on your own
Somehow I’m to blame
For this never-ending racetrack you call life

So turn right
Into my arms
Turn right
You won’t be alone
You might fall off this track sometime
Hope to see you on the finish line

I did all I could
And I gave everything
But you had to go your way
And that road was not for me

So turn right
Into my arms
Turn right
You won’t be alone
You might fall off this track sometime
Hope to see you on the finish line

“So what do you say Morgan?” Joe looked at me, hope flooding his eyes. “Will you go out with me?”

My eyes widened even further than they already were as I stared at him with a blank expression on my face. The crowd was cheering and chanting, “yes, yes, yes”. I felt Kevin’s disapproving look pounding my side. I saw Jenn’s sad and knowing expression from her position backstage. But most importantly, I saw Nick’s expression. His face was covered with every upset emotion I could possibly think of – sadness, hatred, denial, misery – it was all there. It was all too much to handle.

Faintly, the word ‘yes’ escaped my lips before the world around me became black.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is really long... my bad. Hehe.

Songs: Jersey - Mayday Parade
Turn Right - Jonas Brothers

Oooooo, a twist! I wasn't expecting that... where you?
It seems like Morgan is Team Joe.. or is she?
What do you think she should do now?

Thank you guys for all the comments and support. it means so much to me. Keep going! :D

Comment/Subscribe

Peace.Love.Write. -Jill =]