Status: Completed - Go check out the sequel :)

Save the Day

Chapter 3

“Hello there,” A friendly voice said from my side. It was around nine at night and they just finished recording for today. I was tired, achy, and all I wanted to do was go home. But, Uncle John wanted me to file the day’s recordings on his computer.

I glanced over to the doorway and saw all three members of the Jonas Brothers standing there. “Hello.” I said politely as I smiled before quickly going back to my work. I heard footsteps as (I assumed) the brothers entered the room, but stayed concentrated on the screen in front of me.

“How are you?” Joe asked appearing in front of me.

“I’m fine, how are you?” I asked, still keeping my attention on the screen.

“Okay, she’s either too tired to realize who she’s talking to or she hates us.” Joe said throwing his arms up in the air.

I laughed, “I know who you are, Joe. And no, I don’t hate you.”

“Then why aren’t you freaking out?” I heard a different voice, Kevin I think, ask.

“Because I’m not a crazy, obsessed teeny bopper who drools over your every word. Now, if you’ll excuse me,” I said, shutting the laptop and placing it in Uncle John’s bag. “I have a nice, comfortable bed calling my name. Night boys.” I smiled in their direction before I started walking towards the door.

All of a sudden, I was face to face with someone’s arm as it blocked my only exit to freedom. I looked up and saw Joe’s smirking face looking down at me. “Then who are you?”

I sighed, “I am Morgan. I thought we covered that this morning.” I answered, ducking underneath his arm and out into the hallway. “Again, night boys.” I walked to the elevator without anyone following (thankfully).

The doorway was about to shut when someone’s hand jabbed out causing the doors to open again. “You have got to be kidding me.” I mumbled under my breath as the brothers piled into the elevator.

“Oh, fancy meeting you here.” Joe said as he stood next to me in the (now cramped) elevator.

“Ha.” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. I noticed Nick snicker under his breath but ignored it.

“So you didn’t answer my question.” Joe said.

“And what question would that be Joe?”

“Who are you?”

I tapped my chin as the elevator slowly declined. “I’m pretty sure I did answer that question. But if you couldn’t comprehend before, I am Morgan. You, Joe. Me, Morgan.”

“Tarzan, cute.” He smirked which just made me roll my eyes even more.

“What my incompetent brother is trying to say,” Kevin started speaking before Joe could say anything else. “Is why didn’t you freak out or anything around that nature?”

“Because I don’t like your music, nothing personal.” I answered shrugging.

“So you do hate us!” Joe exclaimed.

“Joe, shut up.” Nick said, rolling his eyes.

“I told you I didn’t and I don’t. It’s just… not my taste.”

“Then what is your taste?” Kevin asked just as the elevator doors opened to the lobby.

“No one you’ve ever heard of.” I smirked and walked towards where my uncle was waiting.

“Hey Morgan, what took you so long?” He asked, grabbing his laptop bag from me.

“Sorry Uncle John, I had a few obstacles.” I said, peering over my shoulder where the brothers were standing (in front of the elevator doors) just staring at me. Creepers much?

He glanced at them too and laughed, “What did you do? They look shocked.”

We started walking to the parking lot where his car was. I shrugged, “I was honest. But nicely, of course.”

He grinned, “Of course.” He mimicked and chuckled. I laughed along as we found his car.

The entire ride back home was quiet, each of us too tired for words. Still wordless, we crawled into the house and into our respective rooms. Thank God I was in too much of a rush this morning to put on make-up because as soon as my shoes were off; I fell face first into my pillows, instantly falling asleep.

What felt like minutes later, I awoke to the annoying, buzzing sound of an alarm clock. I sighed in aggravation as I glanced at the clock that read 7:45 AM in bright, red digital numbers.

“I thought I’d give you more than a half hour to get ready. We leave at nine.” I heard Uncle John’s voice drift through my unconscious mind.

I turned onto my back and stared up at my ceiling. “I get paid, I get paid, I get paid.” I said to myself, trying to find some motivation.

Eventually, I did get out of bed and got ready. I took a quick shower, put on a minimal amount of make-up (just some foundation, eye liner, and mascara so I didn’t look as tired as I felt), and threw on an outfit with a pair of black Converse (I don’t own any flats) and was ready by nine o’clock.

Uncle John was waiting at the bottom of the stairs with a bagel in his hand. “Some long term energy before the shots of caffeine.” He said, handing me my breakfast.

I smiled gratefully as I took the bagel. As we drove the streets to the office, I took in his appearance. He was wearing the same type of clothing as he did yesterday, but his face had an extra hint of grogginess. “Uncle John, why do you do this job? I mean you look so tired.”

He smiled and glanced at me quickly. “The same reason why you woke up this morning, because I love it,” He said. “Plus the money’s great too.” He added laughing. I joined in and took a sip of my caramel frappachino (much stronger and tastier than actual coffee) before trying to squeeze in a quick nap on the ride.

It was a short nap (about three minutes) before we were back in the office, preparing the same way as we did yesterday. I make multiple copies of sheet music, got breakfast for everyone (apparently today there was going to be nineteen people), and other small odds and ends – leaving each thing in front of the door. And again, at around two o’clock I was told to get Chinese for lunch and was introduced to the string players. I felt a routine coming on.

I was right. After lunch, Uncle John didn’t have anything left for me to do so I stayed and listened. I sat in my usual chair and leaned my head against the wall. I listened to the song with closed eyes as I pictured the notes on a page in front of me.

“Morgan, Morgan… wake up.” Someone said, shaking me awake.

“What? I’m up, I’m up.” I said, opening my eyes.

“Sorry,” Uncle John smiled at me apologetically. “You can play the piano right?” He asked.

I sat up straighter as I stretched, “Yeah, why?”

“Because Ken’s not in today because Nick was playing the piano. But, we still need to isolate Nick’s voice for the track. So, do you mind playing a few times? We won’t record you, it’s just so Nick can hear.”

I stood up and shrugged, “Sure.”

Uncle John smiled and led me over to the studio where the baby grad was sitting. He handed me headphones and let me read over the music a few times.

“You ready Morgan?” I heard Ed’s voice through the headphones.

I nodded my head, “Yes, sir.”

“Alright… on your count.”

I took a deep breath and began playing the first notes, enjoying the feeling of the ivory keys under my finger tips. The entire band joined in and after eleven counts, Nick started singing:

If time were still
The sun would never, never find us
We could light up the sky tonight
If I could see the world through your eyes
And leave it all behind


The piano in this song was the melodic base line, so it was basically the same thing the entire song (with the exception of the bridge). Nick finished singing and I finished playing out the base line for two bars and the song was over.

“Hold on guys, John come out here.” Ed said into the microphone as Uncle John started walking out of the booth.

I started playing some random tune, noticing that everyone’s headphones were off so I was left in silence. I didn’t notice someone was trying to get my attention until I heard a loud thud of someone playing four low notes at the same time.

I looked over and saw Joe standing to the side of the piano. “Rude much?” I asked harshly as I took off my headphones, placing them around my neck.

“No no really, it’s just you.” He answered and sat down next to me on the bench.

“What did I ever do to you? I’ve known you for a day and a half.” I asked incredulously.

He shrugged, “You’re just different.”

“It’s called being honest Joe.” I spat.

He ignored my tone and continued asking me questions. “How did you learn to play?”

“Just like everyone else. I put my fingers on the keys, learned what each meant, learned how to read music, and practiced.”

He sighed, “Who taught you then?”

“My mother,” I said simply.

His eyebrows furrowed, “Where is she?”

Uncle John’s voice suddenly boomed throughout the room. “Nick, you did it perfectly in one take. We’re just going to do it once more and then you can all… go I guess.” He said laughing.

“You should go back to your spot.” I said quietly and placed my headphones back on my head. I felt Joe’s gaze on me for a little while before he got up. I sighed and shook the thoughts out of my head and tried to concentrate on the song.

“Whenever you’re ready Morgan,” Ed’s voice rang though my ears, breaking me out of my trance. I nodded once and began playing the song again.

After the song was recorded and everyone left, I stayed in the studio to put the files on Uncle John’s computer.

“Hello there,” I heard Joe’s voice ring through the room.

“Are we seriously doing this again?” I asked, not even bothering to look up from the screen.

“Not exactly. I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with my brothers and I, since it’s only like four. We owe you that much.”

“Really? How come?” I asked, glancing at him quickly.

“Well you are single handedly saving our record from total destruction and Nick meltdowns. I’d say that’s a pretty big feat.” He answered, smiling.

I laughed, shut the computer, and walked over to Joe. “Sure, why not. It is the least you could do.”

Joe smiled and extended his arm in front of me, “After you my lady.”

I just rolled my eyes and walked to the elevator, Joe closely on my tail.
♠ ♠ ♠
And so it begins! The Jonases have OFFICIALLY been introduced into Morgan's life. Aren't you excited? Because I am. =D
So, nothing really EXTREMELY exiting happened in this chapter and I apologize for that. But, I swear, it does get better. hehe

Song that was used - Fly With Me - Jonas Brothers

Thank you all for reading/subscribing, I'm really glad you guys like it. And thank you all who are commenting, it means so much to me even if it's just a smiley face =].

SO DON'T BE A SILENT READER!
COMMENT/SUBSCRIBE

Peace.Love.Write. -Jill =D