Status: revamping

Fragile Beings

prologue; whose eyes glow like the sparks of fire

THE FLAMES RISE INTO THE NIGHT SKY, and I know that this would be the ending to my quite existence.

There was a point where I was settled peacefully on the white sands of the beach, where the bent grass tickled the skin of my bare legs. Like most times, I was alone with a novel in my hand and a wandering mind. I had merely read one paragraph when I caught sight of him under the pier.

His eyes were gleaming in the soft and iridescent light of the sunset.

Though distant, I had managed to see that one feature of his so clearly.

I didn’t know him; the boy I found myself unable to turn away from. I was more than certain that I wasn’t attracted to him. His jet black hair that was upswept by the wind was entirely too long. His angular jaw and lazy smile didn’t kindle any sparks for me.

I’m not one to be engrossed by another’s physical qualities, but his deep brown eyes were one attribute I admired. He had eyes as luminous and bright and brown like woodland brooks that crossed a sunlit spot.

I could recall seeing his face from different places around Clearwater, like now at the beach club, and the grille and school but I couldn’t remember anything significant about him like his name.

Not that I had any reason to know him. Before this moment we were poised to remain as two passing strangers. Before this moment we shared nothing between us.

Now, he is aware of me and I of him. We share this experience now.

What is happening before us isn’t magical. We are not gazing adoringly into each other’s eyes. Mutually, we are lost. We don’t understand. We’re uncertain.

My heart is heavy in my chest. I feel unnerved.

His stare is intense and it has me stationed to my spot on the boardwalk. I can’t tear my eyes away even as a bone-chilling sensation flows down the length of my spine.

I’m unsure of what actually happened. I mean, I saw it happen right before me but I don’t understand how. I only understand the gravity of the situation.

I don’t know what to say, but I know I shouldn’t be here. Neither one of us should. I say nothing as I turn away. I feel his stare on my form but I don’t look back.

My own eyes are alight, reflecting the bright flames of a burning fire.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let's do this one more time