This Heart Still Feels

This Heart Still Feels-20

Three days had passed since Dan had found you and a lot had been going on. Once the police had found Jim's dead body, you were taken in for questioning. Since you had done it in defense to save Dan, they let you go and called the case closed. You were then taken to the hospital to make sure there was nothing seriously wrong with you. You had major bruiises and cuts, but nothing worse. The gang was really glad to see you safe once they found out you were alright.

"Welcome home, De," Teresa squealed as she helped you into your apartment.

You looked around as if it were an unfamiliar planet, "Wow, it seems like forever since I've been here,"

"I would think so," Teresa commented as she carrried your bag inside,

You looked around. The glass had been cleaned up and the blood you left on the wall was cleared off by a fresh coat of paint. There was no T.V,(Jim had yanked out the wires to tie you up) and some of the stuff from the kitchen was missing from the fight. The area may have been cleaned up, but you could still feel the horror that took place.

"You okay, De?" Teresa asked when she noticed you zoning out.

"Yeah," you sighed, "I'm okay,"

She walked over to you, "Hey, De." she put an arm around you, "It's okay to be a little uncomfortable. A lot took place here."

You nodded

"I know it was hard for me," she sighed, "I mean, I had to stay at Katies while you were gone. And it wasn't just because I was afraid of the apartment." you smiled, "But," she continued, "I knew that each time I came in would be another reminder that you wouldn't be here."

You sighed, "I remembered waking up each morning hoping with all my heart I was back safe in my bed,"

"But that's all in the past," she patted your back, "What's important is that you and Dan are safe and Jim is dead thanks to you."

"Yeah," you smiled

"We can leave your stuff on the floor for tonight," she said as you gave out a big yawn, "You just go to bed. You've had a very long few weeks,"

You nodded, "Alright," you staggered to your door, "Goodnight Tree."

"Goodnight De,"

Few weeks pass by

"What do you mean you haven't talked to her?" Tom asked anxiously

"I don't know," Dan dropped his hands, "She's been avoiding me ever since she got back from the hospital."

"Are you sure she's avoiding you?" Tom asked

"I have tried calling her, texting her, and even tried going over to her apartment," Dan listed, "She never returns my messages and when I go to her place she is either gone or," he paused, "sleeping," he said using air quotes

"There's something up." Tom murmered

"No kidding," Dan panicked. He fell down to the lounge chair and ran his hand through his hair, "I don't know what to do. I really want to talk to her."

"Have you asked Teresa about her?" Tom suggested

Dan shook his head, "No. Didn't really think of it actually,"

Tom handed him his cell phone, "Then maybe you should."

Dan took the cell phone and dialed Teresa's number. He pressed send and waited as the ring tones rung. Teresa answered, "Hey Dan,"

"Listen, Teresa," Dan said, "We need to talk,"

"Sure," Teresa said, "About what?"

"Deana,"

"I'd figure you'd want to talk about her," she said as a matter of factly. "I've actually wanted to talk to you about that also,"

Dan looked to Tom and signaled for him to leave so he could talk. Tom held up the okay sign and left, "So is it just me or does it seem like Deana is trying to avoid me?"

"Definitly avoiding you," Teresa said straightly

Dan rolled his eyes, "What did I do, Tree? Did I do something wrong? Did I not do something I was supposed to?"

"Dan, calm down," Teresa raised her voice in sympathy, "She's just a little shaken up about the whole...you know what I'm talking about."

"What does that have to do with me?"

"Well, if that happened to me," Teresa suggested, "I would feel a little jinxed."

Dan raised his eyebrows, "How come,"

"Listen, I don't know if I should talk about it," she said in a hushed tone, "But things haven't been perfect for De. Very far from it, I should say. And if you knew the whole story, you would understand,"

"I wish I did," Dan sighed

"Let's just say, Deana doesn't care when her actions hurt her," Teresa explained, "but when someone who doesn't have anything to do with the situation meddles in and gets themselves hurt, she takes it pretty hard."

"But I'm okay," He paced as he talked, "It's her I'm worried about."

Teresa sighed, "Me too. She's been really depressed ever since. Honestly, I think she misses you."

"I know I do," Dan half smiled "Do you know how I can talk to her?" Dan asked, "I don't even need that long. Five minutes is all I'm asking. I can even do less."

Teresa paused and thought for a moment, "I can give you more than that," she snapped her fingers, "Just do as I say,"