I Need a Hero

“We’re going to tell her the truth and hope to God that she believes us."

- Jared’s P.O.V. -

Once Will and I said our goodbyes to Brenda we were escorted to the lobby by some random male nurse. We nodded to the secretary, Becky I think, and headed outside.

“Becky creeps me out,” Will said with a wince as we braced against the chill that was sweeping through the area. I’m never moving to Utah. It’s too cold over here, and we’re only one state away from home!

“Becky thinks you’re a nice piece of ass,” I remarked, eyes trailing the few cars here. I saw the car Val arrived in when we all got here at the same time still in the lot. I let out a sigh of relief. At least she didn’t leave yet. I leaned again my Ford F150 that was conveniently parked next to Val’s Volkswagen Bug. Will’s face twisted up in disgust.

“Ladies like that make me want to go completely gay,” Will spat. I rolled my eyes at his childish behavior. Suddenly the doors to the front of the hospital opened. Out walked none other than just who I needed, Val. She was dressed in blue skinnies, black Uggs, and a black pullover hoodie advertising the New York Yankees. On her black hair was a purple beanie and a matching scarf around her neck.

“Val!” I called. She looked up, slightly shocked. When I met her hazel eyes she smiled out of remembrance. She gave a small wave as she approached her vehicle.

“Hey Jared, Will.” Will simply nodded to her, too engrossed in his iPod. “What’s up?”

“We were actually wondering if you’d come back with us to our hotel and hangout.” Val’s forehead scrunched up in anger. I automatically guessed what she was thinking and laughed nervously. “Oh God, not that. I’m not one to endorse cheating. We actually need to talk to you about something.”

“We can talk here,” Val said stubbornly, shivering a bit as the wind picked up the smallest bit. My eyes nervously shifted to look at the hospital to see if I could spot anyone in the windows. Not that I could see. But still, no, it was too risky to talk here, even in our cars.

“It’s freezing and I don’t think this is too great of a place to talk,” I stated, eyes trailing back to her. Her eyes also trailed over the building. She nodded to herself, turning back to me.

“Are you staying near Main Street?” I nodded at this. Our hotel was actually on Main Street. “I’m staying in a friend’s house near there. Meet at the Starbucks on that street?”

“Okay. We’ll see you there.” With that Val climbed into her Bug, starting it up and heading down the road. Once she was out of view I unlocked the trunk, climbing in. Will wasn’t far behind as I started up the engine.

“So what exactly are we going to say?” Will asked once we were back on the paved road. I shrugged, turning left to head back to civilization.

“We’re going to tell her the truth and hope to God that she believes us,” I replied.

“You know, for being agnostic and all you really are putting a lot of hope in God lately,” Will pointed out.

“I need something to believe in while this shit is going on. God seemed like the first choice. If this works I will become Christian,” I sighed.

“Why not hope in Buddha? At least that’s easier. You don’t have to wake up every Sunday Morning,” Will stated, sticking his tongue out at the end.

“I won’t be a very normal Christian, alright? I’m not giving up my Sundays off to go to church,” I muttered. He nodded, happy with my decision. I sighed, running a hand through my hair. How did I become such good friends with him again?

“Look! She’s already here!” I looked up to notice we were just about to pass the Starbucks, Val’s Bug already there. I took a sharp right, barely making the last parking spot. Will groaned as he rubbed his forehead which I caused him to hit on the window.

“Sorry,” I said meekly as I turned off the truck. Will simply flipped me off before climbing out of the vehicle. We hurried to the door and stepped inside the warm store. Will let out a sigh of relief and took off his beanie. Val had already shed her winter gear, sitting at a table in a baby tee with coffee in hand. We gave a small nod to each other before Will and I walked to the counter. Once ordering and me paying, we sat at the same table as Val.

“So what’s all this about?” I like her already, she just skips right to the point.

“That hospital is no normal hospital, even at mental hospital levels.”

“What do you mean?”

“It was a torture camp back in the Vietnam days,” Will chirped. Val simply gave us a disbelieving look in reply.

“Looks guys, I don’t know anything about you but if this is some kind of joke -” Val cut herself off, taking a deep breath. When she focused on us again her hazel eyes were narrowed in a dangerous glare. “Look, my boyfriend - about to be fiancé - has been in there for two years now. If this is anything short of the truth I will be willing to murder you.”

“Hey, our best friend is in there. Would I really make some bullshit up?” I snapped, slightly angry. Our glares battled for a little while until the teen working the orders called out me and Will’s drinks. Will went to get them as Val and I leaned back in our seats.

“Fine Jared, you have my attention. Now tell me what the hell is going on here.” As Will returned with our drinks we explained the history of the hospital. The whole time Val listened, nodding at the appropriate times and just sipping her coffee.

“And that’s all we know as of right now,” I concluded.

“But why would they keep it all going?” That was the first set of words Val had said since the beginning of the explanation. Will and I both shrugged simultaneously.

“No clue. Will here thinks that they’re just all sadists or something,” I remarked with a roll of my eyes.

“While that could be a small reason, I really don’t it’s a reason to put on a big charade. If they were just sadist it’d be random kidnapping and the minimum amount of people possible.” Val rubbed her face with both hands.

“What if everyone’s making a profit out of this?” Val and Will both turned to give me strange stares. “Think about it, this could be like those dumb conspiracy movies you hear about. Let’s say that Elizabeth Stiles hired people a long time ago to join on this. Every captive brought in would give everyone x amount of money.”

“And now it’s still going. Just on a bigger scale!” Val exclaimed, catching on to my thinking.

“So what’s the point of still torturing them?” Will asked.

“Well if they’re doctors it’s a so called ‘medical treatment’. Sure they don’t go into details to other colleagues from other states, but at home base it’s still praised,” I reasoned.

“Okay,” Val stood up, putting on her outwear again. “We’re going to go my friend’s house and look into this more. There must be something we’re missing.”

With that we all stood and walked out the Starbucks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting: JaspersGirl108, Hanny Gates, Rhi_LoveMeHateMe, hachie, pixiesticks650, and HotelBellaMuerte.. Ohemgee, we went into a P.O.V. from the outside world! lol. Well now what do you think is going to happen? :D And lookie, another layout. I have to go to a dang choir concert where orchestra is playing at as background music so I have to play. Please comment so I have something to look forward to when I get home <3