I Need a Hero

“Welcome to the family then Nick.”

- Brenda’s P.O.V. -

“And that’s all they know,” I finished. We had all met outside in the courtyard again two hours later. Everyone’s eyes were wide with shock.

“No way. Are you sure these guys are right?” Brian asked.

“I’m prepared to put my life on the information they gave me,” I replied sternly, my eyes meeting his. After a moment he nodded.

“Wait, so you mean they’re going to try and get Val to help?” I nodded. Matt’s face stretched into a smile, his dimples appearing in the corners of his mouth. “That’s great! Val will ram people’s asses into the ground to get information.”

“Then her, Will, and Jared will get along greatly,” I laughed. It fell silent for a moment as everyone’s mind began to wonder.

“So here’s a small question.” Everyone turned to Jessica who had a distant look on her face. “Let’s say they do try to break us out. How are they possibly going to learn the layout of this place? Visiting day is only once a month.”

“There’s has to be someone,” Zacky murmured. Jimmy and I shared a look as everyone else began to think.

“Nick, duh!” Jimmy and I shouted in unison. Everyone gave us strange stares.

“Oh, c’mon. Nick would help us out. He doesn’t want us here just as much we don’t want to be here. I really doubt he’ll turn this down. Plus, he’s an employee. He can go to town anytime he wants. He can go find Brenda’s friends and Matt’s girlfriend,” Jimmy explained.

“He has a point,” Johnny piped up. Everyone else nodded.

“It’s our only chance.”

“So how are we going to get this idea by Nick?” I asked.

“Easy. Hey Nick!” Jimmy screamed, running forward towards Nick who was just walking outside. I jumped up with Matt, quickly running after the stick. “We need you to -”

“Shut up Jimmy!” I yelled, jumping on his back and covering his mouth with both of my hands. “You can’t just scream it to the whole goddamn world!”

“About what?” We all looked over to see Dr. Stiles standing there with his arms crossed and a suspicious stare on his face. My heart stopped beating for a second as I thought of a quick lie.

“The fact that I think I should be starting my period soon and might need tampons,” I replied, making myself blush like a bashful teen would. He stared at me for a moment longer and nodded.

“Well Ms. Summers please get off Mr. Sullivan. It’s time for his therapy.” Jimmy hesitated before carefully lowering me. I gave him a quick hug before he followed Dr. Stiles inside. Once they left, Nick turned back towards Matt and I.

“What is really going on?”

“We have a hugeeee favor to ask of you,” I sang. He stared at me and nodded.

“Tell me on the way to take you and Jessica to your room.” I nodded and he waved Jessica over. We headed into the hospital and hurried into the elevator. On the ride up I explained the situation at hand as quickly as I could. He nodded and looked both ways before leading us to our room. “Write one of their numbers on my hand and I’ll call them up when I leave early.”

“Thank-you so much!” I took the pen from his hand and wrote the ten digits on his palm.

“No problem. I’ll make sure you guys get out of here. I never liked my uncle so this will just be a slap in the face. Best comes to best, I get fired.” I laughed, leaning up to kiss his cheek.

“Still means a lot.” I walked into our room and waved before he locked the door. I laid on my bed, my brain taking my thoughts to everything I learned today.

“Do you think they’ll pull it off?” I looked over at Jessica who was in a similar position on her bed.

“I know they will,” I replied confidentially.

- Nick’s P.O.V. -

I looked at my watch an hour later. It was about five, a time that would not seem suspicious. I nodded to myself, heading to the first level in the elevator. I power walked down the hall to my uncle’s office. I knocked with my knuckles and waited until I heard the faint ‘come in’. I opened the door and walked inside. My uncle sat behind his desk, typing away at his computer. He looked up and smiled at me. I wanted to curl my hands into fists, but that would give away I was pissed and would want to know why.

“Hey, I’m going to take a ride down to town,” I announced, jutting my finger towards the general area town was located.

“That’s fine.” He looked up from his computer again. This time he paused, crossing his arms on the edge of the desk and in front of the keyboard. “Why, if you don’t mind me asking.”

Actually I do asshole. But of course I couldn’t say this. Needless to say plans would be cut short. I, instead, just shrugged my shoulders. “Need some more deodorant, more dye for my hair. Maybe treat myself to new shoes or shirt.”

Mr. Knight nodded. “Okay. Well have fun.”

“I will,” I called before shutting the door behind myself. I rolled my eyes before quickly heading to the record room that stood at the opposite end of the hallway. I had to hurry, grab a file or two, and leave. I unlocked the door that read ‘restricted’ and quickly ushered myself in. I flickered on the light switch and flipped through the manila files. I pulled out three different files that popped out to me.

“Got it,” I breathed to myself. I quickly flipped off the lights and left the room. I stopped by my room and grabbed my coat. I slipped the hoodie over my head and tossed off my khaki pants to pull on jeans and my boots. I placed the files in my backpack and tossed in my wallet, laptop, and charger. I slipped my cell phone that my uncle didn’t know I had into my pocket and headed to the exit of the hospital.

“Hey Nick. Heading out?” Becky asked, batting her eyelashes. Really this girl is the harlot of our institution. I think Ron and Knight are tapping that. Ugh, that just completely makes me cringe.

“Yeah. Need some personal grooming done,” I replied simply. She sighed when she realized I wasn’t going to ask her to…well, whatever she was hoping for. She pressed the buzzer under the desk and waved me goodbye. I hurried to my ’69 Buick, quickly starting up the car once I was inside. I placed my backpack on the seat next to me as I pulled out my phone. I punched in the number on my palm before pulling down the road.

“Hello?”

“Is this Jared?” I questioned, turning left to head to the town of Terrance. It was a small town that wasn’t even on the map of Utah. And to think almost no one there knows how evil Bridgeview really is.

“Who’s this?” The guy, Jared I’m assuming, demanded.

“I’m friends with Brenda. She asked me to contact you,” I replied simply.

“How can I trust you?”

“Well Brenda can, why shouldn’t you be able to?” It was silent for a moment on the other end of the line. “Besides, I have some files that would most benefit you to get Brenda out.”

I heard some muffled speaking on the other end. As soon as I reached Main Street, Jared began to talk to me again. “Do you know where Comet Road is?”

“Of course,” I replied, already turning right to head to it.

“Go to the last house on the left; it’s the big brown house. My friend and I will be outside,” Jared replied.

“Okay.” I hung up, placed my phone in my pocket again. Within a minute I was pulling into a long driveway. On the porch was one of the guys from Brenda’s room and the black haired woman that was meeting Matt. I turned off my car and stepped out with my backpack. Both of their faces lightened up with recognition.

“Hey, you’re that guy from the hospital,” Jared remarked as I stepped onto the porch.

“Nick,” I greeted, my hand sticking out.

“You’re the one that Matt was talking about! Sorry we doubted you. I’m Val, Matt’s girlfriend,” the woman said, shaking my hand.

“I’m Jared. Brenda’s friend,” Jared replied, also shaking my head. We then walked inside, Val leading the way. She led us into a living room where the other guy from the hospital was sitting at a desk, eyes burning onto a screen, and another woman sat flipping through some book. Both looked up upon our arrival.

“That is Will –” The guy waved, head going back to the screen. “This is Gena.”

“Hey, you’re that one bodyguard from the hospital,” the blond said suddenly. My brain racked for remembrance of her but came up empty handed. “Oh, don’t worry, you don’t know me. You were leaving whenever a nurse brought me in to see Zacky. I’m Zacky’s girlfriend.”

“Oh, nice to meet you.” I offered her a smile which she returned. “I wouldn’t think you lived so close.”

“I didn’t originally. Zack and I lived over in Salt Lake City. But since he got moved much further south I ended up moving down here to at least feel a bit better. I feel much better I did once I met Val here at the hospital.” The two friends shared a smile.

“You mentioned files, right?” Jared interjected. I nodded, placing my backpack down. I pulled out the folders and tossed them onto the coffee table in the middle of the room.

“What are these?” Val asked.

“Hospital layout, information on workers, and the expenses and income of the hospital.” Everyone’s eyes grew wide and Jared and Val began to flip through them.

“Why would you help us?” Will asked suspiciously.

“I want those seven out. They don’t need to be there. No one does, but I can actually help these guys out alive,” I replied simply.

“You could get fired if caught. Even possibly arrested,” Gena warned.

“I’ll take that risk.”

“Welcome to the family then Nick.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting: hachie, Hanny Gates, Pansyx3, Rhi_LoveMeHateMe, violetriddle, and midlipsters. Oooh. They're getting so close I'm getting excited lol. So how do you all think they're going to get out? Just an fyi, I'm not too sure when I'm ending this. Spoiler: I'll probably have them break out within a chapter or two. After wards I'll show how things are after they escape. But at that point I'm not sure how much longer I'll do this. I know I'm not doing a sequel, it's just not my thing :) So anywho, comment please <3

P.S. No patience for proofreading. Just point out anything you notice.