I Need a Hero

“We’re getting our names changed?”

I was woken again later on in the day. Around noon-ish to be exact. This time it was Gena leaning in my door, smiling widely at me. “Good morning sunshine.”

“Isn’t it afternoon though?” I asked, a yawn escaping my mouth at the end of my sentence. We had gotten to know each other quite a bit when we were all talking on the ride for the first two hours. How Zacky and Gena met in high school, how Zacky got pulled down to Bridgeview, how she moved down to be near him. I found it all oddly romantic.

“Smartass,” Gena scoffed, still smiling. “C’mon, we need to go meet Val’s sister. Twin actually.”

“Twin?” I echoed, following her to the two story home we were parked in front of. I could see all the boys bringing things back and forth between the vehicles and house. I couldn’t stare too long though because Gena grabbed my hand and led me into the backyard. In a semi circle of chairs sat Jessica, Val, and a girl I didn’t recognized but figured it was Val’s twin.

“There she is!” Jessica chirped, causing everyone to turn around. Val and the woman stood and I couldn’t help, but make my jaw fall open at the similarities. The only difference was that Val’s sister had brown hair with blond highlights.

“Brenda, I would like you to meet my sister Michelle. Michelle, this is Johnny’s girlfriend Brenda,” Val introduced. The girl gave me a wide smile and took me into a hug.

“Sorry, more of a hugger than a hand shaker,” Michelle apologized as she separated from me.

“It’s okay. Gena’s the same way,” I chuckled, nudging a thumb at the blond. She just shrugged with a small smile. Suddenly Jessica’s phone - which she had apparently stowed away this whole time, don’t ask me how it’s still connected ’cause I don’t know - let out a few beeps signaling she got a text message. She chuckled and grinned at all of us.

“Well come with me for a second everyone. I have a nice little surprise for Jimmy I’m sure you’ll all be excited to see,” Jessica announced. Jessica and Michelle smiled knowingly while Val, Gena, and I shared confused faces. We followed none the less to the front of the house again. There all the guys were sitting around the front porch, chatting a little.

“What’s going on?” Matt asked cautiously, looking from Jessica and Michelle who were still grinning widely to the rest of us who also looked lost.

“I have a surprise for my dearest brother,” Jessica informed. Jimmy raised a suspicious eyebrow at his younger sister.

“Should I be worried?” Jimmy asked.

“Nope,” Jessica replied, popping the ‘p’. Just then a dark blue jeep pulled down the path that was surrounded by trees on either side of the way to Michelle’s house. Jimmy shot to his feet and ran forward as a short woman literally hopped out of the vehicle.

“Leana!” Jimmy screamed, scooping the girl into his arms and twirling her in a circle. An almost heavenly laugh echoed throughout the open area as Jimmy slowed and placed the woman on the ground. He gave her a passionate kiss which I tore my eyes away from. This seemed like one of those ‘private moments’.

“Everyone, this is my soon-to-be sister-in-law Leana. Leana, this is - “ At this time Jessica took it among herself to point out everyone and tell her their names. This Leana girl only seemed about five foot two, making me taller than her by two inches. She had beautiful, curly brown hair that reached her waist and brown eyes.

“How did you know to come here?” Jimmy asked with wonder.

“Well you should love your sister to pieces Jimbo. I got a call from her explaining the situation very early this morning. She got Michelle’s number from Val’s phone and talked to her, and Michelle agreed I could come stay too. An address, Google Maps directions, and nine hours later, here I am!” Leana chirped. Jimmy practically tackled Jessica into a hug.

“My bestest little sister,” Jimmy cooed, petting Jessica’s head. Jessica huffed and hit him in the crotch, causing him to let go and fall to the ground holding himself.

“Never do that again,” Jessica warned, dusting the imaginary dust from her clothes. Will grinned, draping an arm across her shoulders.

“Hello new best friend. I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced. I’m Will,” he said, leading Jessica towards the front door of Michelle’s home. Jessica rolled her eyes but allowed him to walk her. Looks like Will has a little crush. I suddenly felt two arms wrap around my waist. I fought my instincts to tense up and just leaned my head back to look up. Johnny smiled back at me.

“Hey,” he said simply.

“Hi,” I replied, a smiling itching it’s was onto my face. He leaned down and gave me a kiss which I returned. Just as it was about to deepen a cough made up split apart. I glared at Brian who was smiling at us. “You know, I’m getting really tired of this happening Haner.”

“I know, you love me though,” Brian sang, skipping off into the house.

“Is he on meth or something?” I asked, rolling my eyes.

“Possibly, but I told him to get your attention,” Michelle replied. “We have a little job you two and everyone from the hospital needs to go to.”

“Oh really?” Matt asked, him perking up from where he still sat on the railing of the porch. “What are we doing?”

“Well you guys can’t stay with your last names,” Michelle said slowly. My heart stopped for a moment. Wait, we’re getting rid of our names?

“We’re getting our names changed?” I whispered. Michelle nodded.

“It’s going to be easy to located you guys right now. There’s no other Jonathon Seward or another Matthew Sanders. Plus I doubt any of you have identification. I have a friend who can help us get everything done free of charge,” Michelle informed.

Jimmy clapped his hands excitedly. “Yes! No more Sullivan.”

“But I like Sullivan,” Leana pouted.

“I don’t. You haven’t met my father.” Jimmy shuddered dramatically. “I want a new name.”

“Well come on, you can all bicker on the way to my friend’s place. Decide how you’re going to go but hurry up,” Michelle said, walking to the garage. Jimmy and Leana climbed into her jeep with Jessica in the back. Matt, Val, Michelle, and Brian climbed into Michelle’s Land Rover. Gena and Zacky got into the Taurus and Johnny and I climbed into the truck which Jared had given him the keys to.

“So what are you going to change your name to?” Johnny asked as we followed the line of cars. I shrugged, staring out the window. I didn’t really want to change my name, it’s who I’ve been since I was little. I felt like if I changed my name it would completely change me. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know if I want to change my name. I mean, sure I hate my adoptive parents, but it’s who I am,” I replied, biting on my lip. He took my hand in his, kissing my knuckles.

“I know, babe. Me too. But you have to realize, we need to. It’s going to be a bit painfully, but we have to do what we need to,” Johnny said, showing reason. I sighed, nodding. “So do you think you know what you’re going to do?”

“Brenda Ryans,” I stated after a moment. Johnny turned to his head to offer a raised eyebrow look before turning back to the road. “I heard a long time ago it was my biological mother’s maiden name. I need some kind of reminder.” He nodded in understanding. “What about you?”

“Does Jonathon Williams sound too painful?” Johnny asked, a slight wince on his face.

“I like it. Has a ring to it. Any particular reason?” I questioned.

“Same as you. My mom’s maiden name. I hate her, but hey, she didn’t hate me at first. It was all my step-dad’s idea to send me to foster care.”

“Hey Johnny? Why did your parents not care about you?” I asked quietly. Johnny tightened his grip on my hand, choosing his words carefully.

“When I was younger my mom married this one guy name Frank. Frank, well, he hated me. For some reason he thought I was always in the way of him and my mom. I guess that’s what happens when you’re five. One day when I was seven he finally just snapped. My mom was never a strong willed person, it was just in her family. Frank just, well, he managed to talk her into putting me into foster care.

“In a way I guess I just can’t blame her. She thought she was in love and she tried to care for me. Told me once, I remember it perfectly, ‘I love you and even though you won’t believe me when you’re older I do’. She was a good woman. Before I got here I heard from my foster parents that she died. Frank didn’t want anything to do with me. Didn’t shock me after what went on those two years I knew him.”

It fell silent and I kiss his cheek. “That is a lot to go through Johnny.”

“It’s life and I got used to it. With all that bad it just gives me room to have fun,” he replied with a small smile. We pulled to a stop in front of another house, this one a basic one story. Everyone climbed out heading up the pathway to the front door.

“This is it,” I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting: Rhi_LoveMeHateMe, hachie, pixiesticks650, Waiting_For_Normal, a7xgirl6661, violetriddle, HotelBellaMuerte., Hanny Gates, and Thegreatunspoken. If you are subscribed to my 'You Stole My Heart', you're about to hear the same explanation.

I wanna say that I'm going to be grounded and won't be able to update for a while ('cause that's what my mom's saying right now), but honestly she can never make up her mind. I'm also suppose to be gone and without internet starting Wednesday until I dunno when, but that might change too, I dunno. So for now pretend I will disappear off the face off the Earth for a while.

But still, comment please <3