Sequel: You Are Loved, Baby.

Shattered Secrets

04.

Bronx, Greg and I wandered out of the bar and into the small parking lot that was still damp from the rain earlier. I set Bronx on the hood of the car as he sniffled and wiped away his tears. "Bronx, I would take you if I could. But I don't want you getting hurt there. I know for a fact that the place is going to be packed and I don't want you trampled."

Bronx sniffled and nodded. "But it's not fair. I like them just as much as you," he murmured, his eyes droopy and red from crying.

"I know," I said softly, "But I didn't get you a ticket."

Bronx groaned as loud as a a four year old could before he reached up and wrapped his arms around my neck. Greg, who had been standing near, sent me a look and I nodded, knowing that I would take Bronx home, give him a bath and put him to bed early.

"Let's head home," I said as I picked the hefty four year old up from the damp car.

"Okay," Bronx murmured and let go of me as I opened the back door and leaned down to help him into his car seat.

The ride home was quiet, void of any music that would make Bronx more upset than he already was. I sat in the passengers seat on the way home and soon as we got there I hopped out and yanked Bronx out with me.

"I'm going to head home, beautiful," Greg stated as he walked around the front of the car.

I nodded. "Sounds good." I said and took Bronx's hand from where he stood next to me.

Greg kissed me once before he kneeled down on his knees in front of Bronx. "Take it easy, little man." He grinned, "You'll get there soon."

Bronx smiled back up at him as Greg ruffled his already fallen mohawk.

"Night." Greg said as he made his way to his own car and hopped in.

"Bye!" I called.

"Bye!" Bronx yelled.

I towed Bronx into the house where we discarded our shoes. Then once again I was pulling him up the stairs to the master bathroom and pulling his clothes off before he could throw a fit about having a bath. I filled the bathtub as Bronx stood there in his underwear, a glare on his face. Soon enough I was tossing the boy into lukewarm water to wash the hairspray out of his hair and the dirt off of his skin.

I filled a large cup with water and told him to close his eyes before I dumped it over his head, soaking his hair in the process. I took a handful of shampoo and lathered him up before I rinsed that out as well. I did the same thing for the conditioner before I tugged him out and wrapped a towel around him, the hood on one end going over his blonde, wet hair.

"Come on," I murmured as I pulled him into my arms and carried him to his own bedroom. I sat him on his bed while I went to chose some pajamas for him to wear to bed, ones that wouldn't be too warm against the late August air.

I helped him dress quickly and before I knew it we were both curled up on the couch in our pajamas watching Batman 3 in silence.

"I love you." I whispered against his skin as I kissed his cheek.

"I love you, too Mommy," he murmured with a grin, "A lot."

"Good," I said and turned my attention back to the screen where Batman was in the jail interrogating the Joker.

Not long after, Bronx passed out and with a sigh I heaved him into my arms, shut the T.V. off and carried him to his racecar bed. I laid him on the blue sheets and pulled them out from under him to cover him up with as his head lolled as he was jostled.

I leaned down and kissed his forehead as he slept. I pushed his hair away from his face and smiled softly as he rolled over and curled his pale hands into little fists against his comforter. "Night, Bronx," I whispered as I left his room, flipping his light off as I went.

I walked quietly to my own room and laid on my bed, face down, and breathed. I climbed under the covers and flipped the T.V. on. I watched old reruns before I fell asleep.