Sequel: Broken Wings
Status: Old version.

Broken Soul

Eighteen.

It was sunset. Evan had awoken and instructed October to retrieve Dannie for dinner. He also wanted his guest to dress formally. By now, there were several dresses hanging in her closet. She looked inside of it and gasped. Every piece of clothing was so beautiful. They looked like dresses a fairy tale princess would have worn. Dannie chose a dark red medieval gown and wore her hair down.

"So, why do I have to wear this?" she asked October as she stepped toward the dining hall.

"The master prefers his guests to dress formally while dining at this table," October replied. "It's just his orders." She opened the double doors and dannie walked inside. The dining hall was so large and spacious. The walls were dark cherry red, so was the carpeting. There were black chairs lined beside each end of the long glass table. Above hung the most gorgeous chandaliers Dannie had ever seen. Lit candles were sitting sparatically along the table and one sole plate was set by the far end of it. Silver utensils and a red cloth napkin accompanied the plate and crystal glass. Her place was the only one that was set. It was right beside the largest chair at the table. Dannie knew it was Evan's. She stood beside her chair, waiting for him to walk in. The doors opened and sure enough, there he was. Evan wore another black suit and tie, like he usually did now. He silently approached his chair and gestured toward Dannie, permitting her to sit down first. Once both of them were seated, Evan asked, "How was your first day here?"

"It was nice," she replied. "I spent most of it reading."

"You must have found my study."

"If it's the room with the endless shelves of books, then yes." Dannie smiled warmly at him. He unfortunately didn't return it.

"Well, you're welcome to read all the books you want," he told her. Evan was going to ask her several more questions but was interrupted by the sound of knocking at the front door. October served Dannie's food, then went to answer the door. She stopped in front of it, hesitating to open it. Something did not feel right to her. "Who is it, October?" Evan asked her. She should have told him of her uneasy feelings but didn't. She had to obey him and find out who it was.

October opened the door and saw a man in black with pale skin and long, dark hair. She sensed this person was a vampire or something evil but his eyes weren't blue or black. "Can I help you, sir?" she inquired.

"Yes, I am here to speak with your master," the stranger said, attempting to peek inside and spot Evan.

"My master is busy, please come back another time," October insisted and began to close the door, but the man refused and held it open. October glared at him, ready to protect herself and everyone inside if she had to.

"Young lady, I assure you, I come with good intentions," he promised.

October knew what to do now. All she had to do to protect the castle was to get him to confirm it once more. "Do you swear it not to harm anyone in this house?"

"Of course." He was powerless now within Evan's home.

October was not sure if the stranger was aware of this. Maybe he was but was simply investigating. She let him inside but kept a very close eye on him as he walked to the dining hall.

Evan rose to his feet when he saw the man enter. "What is this intrusion?" Evan asked angrily.

"Keep calm, my friend, I am not intruding," the man told him.

"What business do you have here then?"

"I have learned that you recently acquired applicants for a donor," the man said with a small smirk.

"Those girls' memories were wiped," Evan declared. "There's no way you could have known that information."

"Word gets around, apparently."

"What about it, then?" Evan asked. "Why does it matter to you?"

"I'm just here to welcome you," the man said.

"Who are you?"

"My name is Zachary Banks." He let his eyes glow blue. "I just wanted to make an agreement on territory."

"This is where I live," Evan stated. "I own fifty acres, extending south of here. The rest of the land is yours. I don't hunt anyway."

Zachary eyed Dannie and Myra. "Are these your donors?" He grinned at them and then knelt in front of Dannie, then took her hand into his cold grasp. "It's a pleasure, my dear." Dannie froze as he gave the top of her hand a chilling kiss.

"Don't touch her," Evan ordered impatiently. "Those girls are not your concern. You have established territory, now please leave." Dannie couldn't believe how angry he looked. He was getting extremely defensive.

"My apologies," Zachary said, attempting to bow politely at all of them. "I will not disturb you any further. Good evening." October showed him out and made sure he left the property. He didn't even look back.

"What was that about?" Dannie asked Evan as he sunk back into his chair.

"October, please take Danielle's dinner to her room," he announced.

Dannie was more confused than ever. "What?" she muttered, wondering what on earth was going on. "Did I do something wrong...?"

"No, you didn't," October assured her as she gathered up her plates and set them on a tray. "He just wishes for solitude at the moment. It happens often."

Dannie noticed how quiet and still Evan was as she left the dining hall. There was something heavy on his mind. It gave her a really awful feeling.

Alone and changed back into her regular casual clothes, Dannie ate in her room. It had been a long time since she had eaten dinner by herself. Usually her band was with her. She really started missing them now.

* * * * *

Zachary's boots thundered down the streets through the cold, light rain. He stepped through the darkness until he found the alley he was looking for.

"You're late," a soft, sinister voice greeted him.

"Sorry," he apologized. "I had other business."

"So, what is this favor you ask of me?" The woman stepped closer to him, her black eyes staring right into his.

"I need you to kill a vampire. And the girl who is keeping him alive."

"Payment?" she demanded.

"Name it."

"A soul."

"You will have one," he promised.

The demon smiled maliciously. "It's a deal."