Sequel: Broken Wings
Status: Old version.

Broken Soul

Five.

Evan stared down at his scab. He couldn’t believe it had healed so quickly. “Dannie, what the hell? What happened to me? I thought it was worse than this, how am I not in a hospital right now?”

“Evan, hey, calm down,” Dannie said, grasping onto his hands and prying his fingers away from his shirt’s collar. “Listen to me, okay?” He calmed down and looked at her. Again, those eyes of his made her spine shiver. “I know all of this is a huge shock to you. I still can’t believe what happened myself.”

“What happened?”

Dannie wasn’t sure where to begin. But she told him everything. Well except for his eyes and skin changing, that she left out so far.

Evan couldn’t believe what he had heard. “Okay so…” he tried putting it all together, “you’re saying some lady appeared from out of nowhere, healed me and disappeared?”

“Yes.”

“Did you get her name?” he asked. “Or anything?”

“No, she never told me her name,” Dannie replied. “There was just something really eerie about her.”

“Like what?”

Before Dannie could respond, they heard their band mates walk into the bus, then they noticed she was by Evan’s bunk again. “Trying to wake him?” Caden asked as he approached her. “He’s gotta get up soon.”

“Guys,” Dannie announced, “he is awake.”

Both of them went over to investigate. “Dude! You scared the crap out of us-” Bryan began, but paused when he noticed Evan’s eyes. All of them looked at him just as Dannie did.

“What now?” Evan asked, getting annoyed with all the stares.

“Your eyes-” Bryan started to say when Dannie elbowed him in the ribs. “Ow, what?”

She shook her head no at him, silently telling him to drop it.

It was too late though and Evan had heard him. “What? My eyes? What’s wrong with them?” He quickly jumped down from his bunk and headed for the nearest mirror. “Oh my god…” he muttered as he stared at his own glowing eyes. “What’s wrong with me?” He turned and looked directly at Dannie.

“You’re really pale too…” Caden added after noticing.

“Dannie, what did that person do to me?” Evan asked, desperate for answers. “This isn’t normal!”

“I left when she healed you,” Dannie answered. “She told me to. But when I was leaving, I noticed she leaned down to you. Like she was…going to…bite you…”

“Okay, what?” Evan was more confused than ever.

“It looked like she was going to bite your neck.”

Evan stared at her in disbelief. “What, like a vampire?”

“Well, I-“

“As awesome as it would be for them to exist, they don’t,” Evan interrupted. “I’m not a vampire, that’s impossible.”

“Evan, her eyes were just like yours,” she explained. “You were on the verge of death and she healed you. I felt your cold body weaken in my arms. There’s no way you could have lived through that on your own. I’m not making any of this up and I’m not crazy. And I’m not saying you are a vampire but I am asking you not to dismiss the possibility completely. I mean, look at you. You’re white as a sheet and your eyes…Something is wrong.”

“They don’t exist, Dannie,” he said again. “But if it makes you feel better, check my neck for marks.” She inspected his neck for him and saw nothing. “Anything?”

“No,” she sighed.

“See?” Evan gloated. “Scratch blood sucking parasite off the list of explanations then.”

“Well that woman healed your stab wound so she probably healed the puncture marks from her teeth pretty easily…”

“Dannie, do you really believe that?” Caden asked, skeptical about it as well.

“Look at him!” Dannie exclaimed and pointed at Evan. “Guys, can you think of a better way to explain all of this?”

“Well, he’s probably pale from losing blood last night,” Bryan tried rationalizing. “And maybe his wound wasn’t as bad as you thought.”

“Where did his blood go then-“

“And,” Bryan interrupted, “his eyes could have changed because of medical reasons. It’s known to happen.”

“That shade though?” she asked. “They glow in the dark, Bryan! That is not supposed to happen.”

“Dannie, he’s right,” Evan agreed with Bryan. “It’s probably just some kind of weird medical problem. I’m fine.”

“Evan, you were dying, remember?-“

“Dannie, no,” Evan interrupted. “I don’t want to hear it. I’m not a vampire, end of story.”

“You don’t believe me?” Dannie asked, feeling alone. “You think I made it all up?”

“No,” he replied. “I just don’t want the word vampire to be brought up again. Because I’m not. They aren’t real.”

“But-“

“I said no,” Evan remarked. Dannie could see the fear in his eyes. Clearly, he was just confused and didn’t know what to think about all of this. He definitely wasn’t acting like himself and she didn’t blame him. If someone told her she was a vampire, she wouldn’t believe it either. “If anyone asks, they’re just contacts,” Evan said as he left to get ready for the show. The other guys started to follow him out of the bus. Evan was about to jump down from the last step, but hesitated. “What is it?” Caden asked him.

Evan lingered on the step, staring at the fading sunset. He had no idea why he did that. It just seemed to happen, almost like an instinct. But he just shook it off. “Oh…nothing. Let’s go.” He left the shade of the bus and stepped out into the warm fading sunlight. Dannie noticed how strange he just acted and didn’t want to drop the vampire possibility, as absurd as it sounded. She knew what she saw last night and nothing else seemed to add up. But she decided to drop it since Evan asked her to.