Seize the Day

Part 27

Before the boys got everything underway with the new album, there was something we all needed to do.  It hadn't been said aloud, but every single one of us was thinking it.  Finally, one day near the beginning of September, we were all hanging out at Vengeance Manor, Zack finally said it. 

He picked up his beer bottle, and tipped it toward the sky.  "You guys know we need to let him hear it, right?"

Everyone was totally silent for a couple of moments.  "You're absolutely right, Z," Brian said.  His eyes started to glisten.  "I know he's been there with us hearing everything and helping us write, but it's only fair that we show him the finished product."

"I think that's a great idea," Michelle chimed in.  Jess and I nodded our agreement.  

"I've still got his shitty old boombox," Matt said, laughing through the couple of tears sliding down his cheeks.  "What better way to do it."

We all gathered up our stuff and loaded into our cars.  We drove to the cemetery, where Michelle, Jess, Arin and I waited near the vehicles while Matt, Brian, Zack and Johnny went over to talk to their brother.  After about 15 minutes, they all hugged each other, and Matt waved to us that it was ok to come over. 

Arin grabbed the huge old boombox and my hand.  I snatched Jess' hand with my other, and she latched onto Michelle.  As we approached the guys, they were trying to dry the tears from their faces.  I wiggled out of Arin's and Jess' grasp and full-on sprinted to Matt, hugging him as tighly as I could.  I couldn't stop the tears from flowing out of my own eyes.  Michelle and Jess did the same to Brian and Zack, and then the three of us made our rounds to each of the guys.  

"Ok, dude, here's what we've got," Brian said aloud.  "Hope you approve."  He took the boombox from Arin and pressed play.   We all sat in silence, listening to each track, talking to Jimmy within our own heads.  Matt pulled me closer to him, and kissed the top of my head.  When the last track ended, Zack turned off the cd player and stood up, looking at the sky, which had clouded over slightly.  

"Whatcha think, bro?" he asked the sky. 

Out of nowhere, a thunder clap echoed from a couple miles away, rumbling like applause.  Then, a flash of lightning and another peal of thunder came from just above us, where there hadn't even been clouds 10 minutes before.

I grinned.  "Well, fellas, I think Jimmy approves."  I too directed my next comment toward the sky.  "Right, man?" 

As if on cue, the lightning and thunder returned, and huge, cold raindrops started falling.  Michelle squealed, but none of us hurried to the cars.  We all just stood there, hugging and crying again.

"Thanks, Jimmy," Johnny said.  "Asshole," he added under his breath.  In response another flash of lightning lit up the sky. 

"He thinks it's funny," Matt laughed.  "Let's go."

We all said our goodbyes to Jimmy, and walked back to the cars, relishing every second of his meteorological presence.  

"I think we got our answer," Brian said, wiping raindrops and tears from his cheeks.  "Seems to me like he likes it."

As soon as we all got into our cars, the rain stopped, the clouds cleared, and the sun was shining once again.  

But not before the most brilliant rainbow I'd ever seen shone just over the cemetery as we were leaving.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the mega-short chapter, but I felt like Jimmy needed his very own chapter. :-) More soon!