Seize the Day

Part 28

If Matt was gone a lot while they were cutting the new album, he was never home while they were rehearsing for their upcoming tour.  As soon as the long studio hours were finished, they began live performance rehearsing.  It was killer, but I knew that it'd all be worth it that first time our boys hit the stage.  

We were meeting with their tour manager, running through the final ideas for the brand-new stage show.  I was in on the meeting thanks to my new job.

"We've got some huge ideas," Zack said.  "We're known for our theatrics at times, but this is gonna be huge."

We discussed dates, cities, time-frames and the like, suggesting a full Canadian tour before heading south to the States.  

"That's a great idea," the label exec said.  "It's been awhile, right?" 

"Too long," Brian said.  "I get hate mail every day from our Canadian fans!"

"How about we start off with a local show, here in SoCal for Halloween, then head to Toronto to kick off Canadian dates.  Then we'll head back through, hitting cities we haven't touched in awhile."  When I noticed the looks and dropped jaws of the band, I rolled my eyes and continued.  "Please excuse them.  They apparently still don't think I'm fit for this job.  Anyway, hitting some smaller, lesser travelled cities will give me an advantage, showcasing bands that usually might not get any exposure." 

Steve, my boss, who was also present for this little pow-wow, smiled.  "I knew I did this for a reason.  Great ideas, Vivienne!"

"Thanks," I grinned.  "But yes, big cities are great, but the smaller towns are a huge draw.  Some people can't get into the city for shows."

"Good call," Matt said.  "Let's have Larry map out some dates, and we'll get this proverbial show on the road!"

"Sounds like a plan," Steve and Larry said at the same time.  

As we left the conference room, Arin slung a lanky arm around my shoulders.  "For the record, I knew you'd be great at this job, no matter what these ass-hats think."  He ducked out of the way and ran ahead as Brian and Johnny both lunged for him, chasing him down the hallway. 

"Children!" I yelled, laughing.  "I may be going on tour with you, but I will not be acting as your mother, keeping you all in line."

Matt caught up to me, and grabbed my hand.  "You really are excited about this new job, aren't you?"

"I always wanted to do something in the music industry.  I never thought I'd ever actually have the chance to!"  

"Well, now you do.  And you're already doing a great job.  Did you see Larry's face?  Even he was impressed," he said. 

"Yeah, I did," I scoffed.  "I don't know why you ass-hats are so surprised!  I know what I'm doing!"  He just laughed at me. 

---------
Matt's POV

With the crazy hours we had been putting in rehearsing, we all decided to take some time off before things really got rolling.  Brian and Michelle ran off to Cabo or some shit, Zack and Jess holed themselves up in Vengeance Manor, no one heard anything out of Johnny, and Arin was just kicking around.  V and myself, we decided to just stay at home too.  

"So, whatcha wanna do for dinner?"  She flopped her legs over onton mine, and stretched lazily.  We had just wrapped up our A Nightmare on Elm Street marathon, watching the first four flicks in one sitting.  

"Well, if I knew someone who would enjoy it, I'm totally in a sushi mood right now."  I laughed at her as she scrunched up her noise and made wretching noises.

"Um, gross.  You know I don't do sushi!" she pouted.  "No fair.  You can't hold that against me!"

"I'm kidding, chill!"  I knew for a fact how much she hated sushi, and seafood in general.  I just loved teasing her about it.  Although, a little sashimi did sound awfully damn good.

"Oh!" she squealed.  "I've got an idea.  Mama J loves sushi, but I know Zeeves isn't a big fan either.  You up for a significant other swap?"  She flashed me that huge grin she has, the one that makes me melt inside every time I see it.

"Let me call Zack," I said.  "There's a new pizza joint downtown I'm sure he'd love to try.  I know Mama's getting fucking sick of pizza."

She giggled when I referred to Jess as "Mama," like she always did.  I was picking up my phone to call Zack, but she'd already dialed Jess from her own.  "Mamaaaa," she said, drawing out last syllable for a full 10 seconds.  "My Matty wants nasty fishy sushi for dinner, and you know I'm not ok with that.  You want to take him out on a date for me?  I'll keep Zeeves occupied!"

Obviously, I couldn't hear Jess' end of the conversation, but she must have consulted Zack first, because the next words out of V's mouth were, "Of course I'm in the mood for pizza!  I'm always in the mood for pizza!"  She winked at me.  "Yeah, meet us here at our place in half an hour?"

She  looked at me again and crinkled her nose again.  "There.  Now you get to have your gross sushi for dinner, and I don't have to feel bad about you not getting it!"  She was very much proud of herself.

"Come here, goof," I said, beckoning with my index finger.  She walked toward me and planted herself on my lap.  "Thanks," I said, trying to tickle her.  Of course, she wasn't ticklish, but I always tried, just in case.  "I've been wanting to talk to Miss Mama anyway."

"Oh yeah?"  That had definitely gotten her attention.  "What about?"

"Oh, nothing," I said.  And five, four, three, two, one... I counted down to myself.  

"Nothing my ass!" she said, turning on my lap to face me full-on.  "What are you plotting now?" she demanded.

"Has anyone ever told you how fucking gorgeous you are when you're trying to be angry?"  I pulled her tightly against me and kissed the top of her head as she tried to struggle away.  "I was kidding," I said.  "Just wanted to see what you'd do.  And it was exactly what I was thinking you'd do."  

She huffed, then sighed, and finally relaxed against me.  "Fine.  But you better not be up to anything, Shadows."  She only ever used my stage name when she was trying to make it sound like she was really mad.  Usually, it only made her even cuter.

A couple minutes later, Zack and Jess rang the doorbell.  Jess trotted in, looking smug.  "I told you it'd come to this some day," she laughed. 

"Oh hush," V said.  "I can't do seafood and sushi, and I know you enjoy it as much as he does.  Go, enjoy yourselves."  She twirled to face me.  "Just take a toothbrush or something." 

I kissed her.  "Got it, boss."  I winked, and she did a little swoon.  I don't know if she knows she does it, or if she knows I can see it, but I love catching her at it nearly every time I smile or wink.

"Ok, Zackykins," she said, quickly regaining her composure.  "Where we headed?"

"Well, there's a new Italian place downtown," he said.  "You know I'm gonna have to check that shit out."

"I'm totally in for Italian," V said.  

We all left the house, kissed our repsective significant others goodbye, and loaded into cars, me and Zack driving.

In the car with Jess, we were both quiet for a moment.  "So, how are things with Zack?" I finally asked.

"Pretty much amazing," she answered, with the biggest grin I've ever seen plastered on her face.  "It's one of those things.  I don't know how it happened, but I'm just really glad we found each other." 

I know that feeling, I thought.  I must have been smiling more than I thought, because she reached over and mock-slugged my upper arm.

"And I don't have to ask how things with you and Vivienne are, do I?"  She chuckled.  "It's written all over both your faces."

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to play it off. 

"Oh, come on Matt," she said.  "It's like you two are the only people on the planet when you're together.  No one else even exists!"

"Fine," I sighed.  "You're right.  I've pretty much jumped off the high-dive, head first for her, huh?"

"Absolutely," she beamed.  "And it's fuckin' awesome.  I'm so happy for you both.  Vivienne really deserves someone as great as you, Matt."

"Yeah, her ex was kind of a dick," I said. 

"Understatement of the century," she said.  "Asshole extraordinaire."

"Yeah, we had a bit of a run-in with him last year."  I felt my knuckles involuntarily tighten on the steering wheel.

"Wait, what?" she asked, shocked.

I quickly recounted the incident at the bar back in Lexington.  "He was a real shithead," I finished.  "It really upset V, to the point that she was questioning her own reasons for being involved with me.  Real piece of work, that guy."

I could feel her tension building as well.  "Yeah, I only met him once, but that was plenty.  But now she's got you, and that's all that matters."

"Thanks," I said.  "Crazy as it sounds, I still feel like I need that affirmation from someone."

"It's not that crazy, but consider yourself affirmed."  She patted my knee lightly.

"Good, cause there's something I want to ask you about while she's not around."  I couldn't keep the grin from crawling across my face no matter how hard I tried.

"Matt!" she squealed.  "Are you thinking what I think you're thinking?"  She clapped her hands together and literally bounced in her seat.  "You are, aren't you?" she continued when I couldn't bring myself to say anything.

"I guess that depends on what you think I'm thinking, doesn't it?" I was finally able to manage, still smiling to beat all.

"It wouldn't have anything to do with a ring, would it?"  She was still bouncing.

"It does," I sighed.  "We've both been married before, but at least for me, this is so completely different from what I felt with Valary.  I loved her with all my heart, but this is..."  I paused, trying to find the right word.  "It's just different," was all I could come up with.  We continued talking as I parked and we walked into the restaurant.

"It's crazy, though, isn't it?" I asked Jess as we looked over the menu.  "Knowing someone for as little time as we have and being so completely off my rocker in love?"

"It's not crazy at all, Mattycakes," she giggled.  Her and Vivienne both loved that nickname, so I'd learned to just let it roll.  "Any of us can see that you two are nothing short of absolutely meant to be together anytime we're around you."

"I guess that's good," I said. 

"Zack has told me that from that first night she was around, they all knew you were done for.  Then, once you started writing music again, it was set."  She reached across the table to hold my hand.  "You've been waiting for Vivienne for years, and she's been waiting for you.  Just neither of you knew it.  Now that you've found each other, there's no other way for things to be."

"Thanks," I grinned.  "That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, and why it was you I needed to talk to."

We finally decided what to eat, and that we'd share a little of everything.  As I stole a piece of her spider roll and dipped it in wasabi soy sauce, she continued the interrogation that I knew was coming. 

"Have you figured out how you're going to do it?  When?  Do you have the ring yet?"  I could smell the fucking wheels turning inside her head, trying to plot things out already.   

"First things first," I said.  "I needed to talk it out with someone first."

"Well, now you are," she started, mouth full of shrimp tempura.  "So talk!"

I just laughed at her.  "Fine," I sighed after catching my breath.  "I don't have a ring or anything yet.  But I'm thinking of doing it at a show.  She wouldn't freak out, would she?"

"Matt," she glared, one eyebrow raised.  "Of course she'd freak out!  But she'd get over it and it would be awesome!"

"She would flip her shit, wouldn't she?"  This may prove more difficult than I thought, I said to myself.  "Vivienne hates attention, but she's slowly getting better with it."

"I've noticed that too," Jess said.  "She's never really been one to be the center of attention.  But she's dating, almost engaged to , M. Shadows.  There's going to be attention!"

"Yeah, that's what I keep telling her," I said.  "Anyway, I was thinking maybe onstage, at a show.  Originally, I didn't think she was going to be able to come on tour with us, so I was thinking it was going to have to he really early or really late  on the road.  But now, it could be anywhere."

"Oh, it's gonna be awesome," she squealed, clapping again.

"Mama J," I said firmly.  "I need your undying oath that you will say nothing to anyone about this."  I glared at her as stricly as I could.

She giggled, and turned her gaze away quickly.  "God fucking damnit, Matthew.  Your dimples are even bigger when you're trying to be angry!"

I busted out a laugh, nearly spitting rice all over her face.  "I'm being serious!" I huffed.  "Not.  A.  Word.  Not even to Zack."

"Swear to Batman," she said, mocking Vivienne.  "Really though, not a word."  She added a super sweet smile, as if that made it more official.

"Ok, good."  I took another bite of my tempura.  "So, here's what I'm thinking."  I saw her eyes almost glaze over.  "First, I'll need you and Michelle to help with the ring.  I know she won't ask for anything fancy, but she's going to get nothing less than top of the line."

"Youre right about that," she agreed.  "She will not want anything big or flashy.  You're gonna have that one pretty tough."

I nodded.  "That's where you and Chelle come in.  I need you to scope her out, see what she does like, what she doesn't.  Take her shopping!"

Jess groaned and slapped herhands over her face.  "I love Michelle, I really, really do, but I hate shopping with her!" 

"But this is for me," I pouted.

"God!"  She covered her eyes again.  "Stop with the pouting!"

I grinned triumphantly.  "Fine," she sighed.  "Only beacuse I love you, Shads.  And I love Vivienne more."

"Fair enough."  I held out my hand to seal the deal.  She shook it, then motioned for me to continue.  "Once that part's settled, I'm thinking during a show.  I know how much she loves 'Seize the Day,' so that'll definitely be part of it.  Then maybe play 'Phoenix,' just that one night, and do it then?"

Jess was grinning like the Cheshire Cat.  "Yes, yes, yes!  She'll totally hate you for a week or so, but she'll get over it."

"My other idea was just me and her, having dinner at home one night, and do it then."  I paused to let her contemplate.  "Definitely more V's style, and of a little of mine, but not nearly as mind-blowing, ya know?"

"Agreed," she nodded.  "V would be far more comfortable with that, but psha."  She waved her hand in dismissal.

I chuckled again.  "If I do it at home, that way, I'm thinking a scavenger hunt.  I know it's cheesy and cliche, but make her work for it!"

Jess nodded, shoveling the last forkful of shrimp tempura in her mouth.  After chewing and swallowing, she continued.  "That, she would get a kick out of.  Romantic but cheesy, just the way she likes her Mattycakes."  She stuck out her tongue at me.

"Fair enough," I said.  "I'll take that."  I started stacking the plates, a general kindness to food service workers than V taught me.  She never failed to do most of the cleaning up for the server staff anytime we ate at a restaurant.  "Guess I've got some thinking and planning to do."

"You sure do," she said as we left.  "And I've got some ring shopping recon to do."  She huffed another sigh.  "Shadsman, be glad I love you, dude.  Seriously.  You don't know what you're asking of me."

"Of course I do, shithead," I laughed.  "I was married to Michelle's twin sister, remember?"

"Fuck!" she squealed, ducking her head.  "Of course you were, and of course you know.  Sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about, kid."  I opened the passenger door for her and then playfully mock-closed it on her as she was getting into the seat.  "Oops, sorry," I said.

"Fucker," she hissed.  "If you need anything out of me, you know you don't have to hesitate to ask, right?" she asked me.

"Yeah, thanks," I answered.  "I may need some help again down the road.  Thanks for tonight."

"Youre quite welcome," she said.  She squealed again.  "I'm so excited for you!"

"Don't be yet," I said.  "She hasn't said yes yet!"

"Matt, honey, I love you, but you're dumb as a fucking post sometimes."  She reached over to pat my knee.  "She will say yes, you two will have an amazingly beautiful wedding, and then many, many small Viviennes and Mattycakes running around."

"Here's hopin'," I agreed.  "Well, not neccessarily about the 'many, many children' part.  A couple, maybe, but we'll have to see."

She giggled.  "Whatever, you're on your way to a long and happy life, Matt.  And I'm thrilled to fucking death for you!"

Zack and Vivienne had just beaten us back to our house.  They were getting out of the car as I pulled in the driveway.  

"How was your Italian?" I asked V, as she came over to hug me.  

"Eh, Zack was alright.  The food was amazing though!"  She winked at Jess, who was nearly doubled over in laughter.

"Fuckin' hilarious," Zack muttered.

"Oh, Zacky, you know I love you," V said through a laugh.  "Thanks for dinner, though.  Really."  She crossed over to give him a hug.  

"Youre welcome," he answered.  "Anytime our significant others decide sushi sounds like a good idea, we'll swap dates."

"Deal," V said. 

"Fine," Jess said, turning to me.  "I guess we've been at least periodically replaced, Matt."

"Looks like we have, Mama."  I opened my arms and engulfed her.  Even though she was the same height as me, I easily overpowered her frame.  "We'll just have to have a sushi date every week!"

"Ew," Vivienne groaned.  "You will do no such thing!"

I continued hugging Jess.  "Yep, every week.  Maybe twice a week."  

"I have nothing to do with this idea," Jess said, muffled in my shirtsleeves.  

I finally let go of her, and she sauntered over to Zack.  "Did you have a good time, baby?" he asked her.

She quickly glanced over at me, then back to him and shrugged.  "Yeah, Shadows is an alright date.  Nothing too extraordinary."

"Hey!" I bellowed.  "I am an awesome date, thank you very much!"

V snaked herself under my arm.  "You sure are, baby.  You sure are."  She turned to Jess and Zack.  "Thanks guys," she said.  "Thanks Zack for taking me to dinner.  It was delish!  And thanks Jess for humoring Matt's icky cravings."

"You're quite welcome," Zack said with a little bow. 

"Anytime," Jess said.  Then quietly, she added, "No.  Really.  Anytime."

We said our goodbyes and Zack and Jess sped off to return to their hermit life in Vengeance Manor.  We still had three days before things got crazy busy before we left for tour.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please pardon any typos... Another update crafted on my iPod. :)

So... Whatcha think? How would Matt propose?? ;)