This Must be Fiction

Getting Acquainted

The seat next to me was suddenly filled by a shadow. I didn’t bother moving my head. The stool next to him was also then filled, with who seemed to be an accomplice. My eyelids squeezed shut, not wanting to reveal the man next to me. I could practically feel his breath on me. I didn’t know whether to be worried or relieved that I was in this bar, surrounded by people. Although everyone in here could probably care less if he scooped me up and made off with me, or maybe the amount of people would deter him from making a move.

“I really wish you didn’t think so poorly of me.” He said softly. His voice pierced right through me like it had before. I noticed now, for the first time, a hint of an accent.

“Really, you do not understand my intentions.” He spoke again after I refused to acknowledge his presence. His voice was so smooth that it sounded like he had taken voice lessons. There was no fault in his speech.

“Please stop. I’ll l call the police.” I still wouldn’t open my eyes, fearing seeing him and becoming too infatuated with his good looks.

“For Christ’s sake Ville! She’s not going to be interested in you!” His companion shouted. His voice was scratchy but had the same sound as the man next to me, no imperfections. “Now I hate to ruin this little love fest you’ve got going on, but you know as well as I do that we have work to get back to at home, and that this girl is too young for you. Let’s go.” The stranger seemed so angry that he might start a fight. I shuddered.

“And I’m scaring the shit out of her, let’s go.” I could hear fabric rustling from beside me, and I opened an eye open to see the man still sitting there, but his companion gone.

“Please go with him. I’m not interested.” I said. It was almost a lie, because I was slightly interested for whatever reason.
“Can’t you just listen for one minute? I’m not a stalker, but you have to admit that it’s weird we keep running into each other.”

“What do you mean run into each other? You’ve been following me!” I yelled, getting attention from the people surrounding us.

“Excuse me? You were the one who was at the beach after me! You sat down in front of me when I was already sitting in the sand! I could accuse you of stalking me as well.”

I didn’t know what to say to that. Was it true? It could have been. I didn’t bother to really check my surroundings before I sat by the water. I didn’t respond.

“Let’s go outside and talk.” He said. I shook my head.

“Even if you’re not stalking me, I’m not going outside with a stranger who I just met and am not too sure about.”

“Then let’s talk here.”

“Fine. Let’s talk.” I sat up straight and looked at him directly in the eye. Up close he was even more startling. He looked older than me by a few years, but he had such a youthful appearance. Purple shadows surrounded his eyes and his vivid irises were lined with dark black circles. His frazzled brown hair was shiny and disheveled, but fit his personality. He wore a tight black tee shirt covered with a tight casual jacket, with loose-fitting jeans that had holes cut in them. He was extremely thin, but muscles were not hidden well under his clothing.

“Where are you from?” he asked, his accent becoming more and more noticeable.

“New York. And before you ask, not New York City. Upstate New York.” I crossed my arms and leaned on the counter top.

“Interesting. What brought you here?” He spun the stool around to face the door and leaned back against the bar. I looked him in the eye again and smiled.

“I’m ‘finding myself’” I said, laughing at the way I said it. I sounded like my mother. He laughed with me, a deep throaty laugh that was even lower than the sound of his voice. I had never heard anyone with a lower voice.

“Interesting.” He paused. “Aren’t you going to ask what I’m doing here?” He asked. I glanced at him again.

“I wasn’t. I assumed you lived here.”

He never took his eyes off of me, while I could barely stand to look at him. I covered my face with my long brown hair as a hint for him to keep his eyes off of me. I told him we could talk; I didn’t say I wanted him to look at me. I felt ashamed that I wasn’t as gorgeous as him.

“I’m from Finland. My friend Bam, that man that was yelling moments ago, is working with me on a new project.” He finally got the hint that I wasn’t interesting in an intimate conversation and looked away.

“Interesting.” I said.

“What’s your name?” He asked.

“Molly. Yours?” I asked. I was becoming increasingly more confident that he wasn’t trying to kidnap me. There was sincerity in his voice and mannerisms that made that clear.

“Ville Valo.” He turned towards me again and smiled. “I love the name Molly. I always thought it was adorable.” My knees, although sitting, were weakened. That voice! Oh that voice! Definitely the sexiest and most alluring voice I’ve ever heard.
“So something tells me you’re not in town for long.” He said. I was still focusing on the low pitch of his voice.

“How’d you know?” I asked.

“Wanderers always have a sense of… wondering. Like you never really know where you’re headed.”

I laughed. “That made so much sense.” I said as I rolled my eyes.He turned towards the bar tender and put two fingers in the air to signal for more drinks.Ville put his hand on my shoulder, and I retracted as the iciness from his palm stung me.

“I’m sorry.” He said, looking ashamed.

“No.. it’s fine.” I smiled sincerely at him. He looked down at me and I could have died staring into those eyes.

A loud eruption came from the door and I found myself huddling under Ville. He was protecting me like he had known me for years, but I didn't know from what. My ears were still ringing from the boom.I wasn’t sure what was happening until I heard a familiar voice.

“Ville, we have to get out of here!”