Rui's One-Shot Collection

I'll Protect You... Kish One-shot for RainStarr

In life, people always say that there is good, and then there is evil.

Black or white.

Yin or Yang.

Lover or Fighter.

But when has anyone taken into account those who could fit in the middle.

Those in the gray area.

Yin and Yang.

Lover and Fighter.

When has anyone taken into account that perhaps, separating those two worlds were too good to be true, and that life was already a mix of those things. The good and the bad don't have to fight. What if they didn't fight? What if everyone could find that in between?
That was my one wish.

To someday find that in between.

_____________________

"Mikan-chaaaan!" Pudding's voice rang in my ears as she brought me back to reality.

I blinked a couple of times, focusing my vision on the hyper ray-of-sunshine that had jumped on my back. I growled a little and she jumped off, crying to Ichigo. It was true that I was infused with the genes of the critically endangered, and possibly extinct Madeiran Large White Butterfly, but that didn't mean that I was always as graceful and as calm as one. Sure, I tended to stay quiet often, but I was easily angered, especially when someone was disturbing my day dreams or sleep.

"Mikan, why can't you be nicer to Pudding?" Ichigo storms in with Pudding tailing her.

I crossed my arms as I sat with my legs crossed, looking at her with me at full grumpy mode. Surely, she should know that the morning wasn't the best time for her to be messing with someone like me.

"I don't know. Maybe because she always tries to force me into that skimpy little outfit that you always want me to wear." I said, pointing to the black and white maids dress in Pudding's hands.

I could tell that Ichigo was just a little bit intimidated, but her pride was on the line, so she blew up on me, just like she did every morning.

"WHY ARE YOU EVEN A MEW MEW?! YOU'RE USELESS, YOU STINKING NO GOOD BRAT! YOU'RE NEARLY AS LAZY AS MINT! NO, MAYBE EVEN LAZIER! JUST GO AWAY IF YOU HATE THIS PLACE SO MUCH!" she screamed, letting out all of her anger.

And just like always, Ryou and Keiichiro busted through the cafe doors, holding Ichigo back as I stood up.

"Fine," I said, walking away without another word.

______________

I laid on the grassy hill by the park, looking up at the sky.

I sighed, letting all of my emotions out.

It's not fair, I thought. Living a life like this.... I want to be free... Like the clouds.
I was suddenly surprised as a hooded person sat by me, only inches away. I couldn't see his face, like always, but I felt like I already knew who it was, because he always came for me in the mornings. I just stared at his back and for a moment, before I let out a warm smile.

"So what's been bothering you today, Hime-chan?" the man said, in an almost whispery voice.

I got up and leaned on my elbows, so I was still partially laying down.

"The same girl, like always." I said, sighing for a second time.

"So you're hurt again," the man replied...

I fully sat up and peeked at his hooded figure before I answered.

"How are you able to know me so well?" I suddenly asked.

The figure's light, warm chuckle made my heart skip a beat.

"I've always been watching you, Mikan." he said, "And I already know all of your secrets... No matter what, I'll protect you."

Then in a quick and barely visible movement of his arm, I found myself in the one armed embrace of this mysterious savior, breathing in his scent as he pressed my face into his firm chest.

"Thank you," I said, relaxing in his arms.

And before I knew it myself, I had fallen in love with him.

__________________

"Cyniclons ALERT!" R2000 repeatedly screamed as it floated around the cafe.

I covered my ears as the eruption of exclamatory remarks were made, and we were ordered to change into our Mew Mew forms. I transformed into my white uniform, which was a white spaghetti strapped dress that stopped at my mid thighs- the most normal looking transformation, out of the 6 of us. I looked a bit like a fairy, with butterfly wings on my back.

Then I was dragged out of the cafe, and brought to the dangerous battle scene, where a human spirit, infused with the being of a chimera animal, had started on its rampage, moving towards the city.

I ignored the rest of the group as they copied Ichigo's words, and stayed silent as I cautiously kept my eyes out for that same troublemaker we liked to call Kish. He was always there, playing around with us like saving the human race as well as the whole world, was just a game to him. He was the cause of this; he was picking from innocent lives, like they were pieces of furniture. It was disgusting.

My butterfly wings started flapping a bit, and I began to carry myself into the sky, as the rest of the group began to attack them. They all knew what I was planning to do, and they didn't really care, because it would save us time. I was looking for Kish, or whoever brought this human to experience such pain. After all, I needed my revenge.

It was their fault why I was like this- why I was alone.

When I was younger, my house was burnt down, and my brother was killed... saving me. And it was all because of that... that thing. That alien and his stupid pets of destruction. He had set the fire; he had killed my brother...

or at least that's what I said to convince myself, that it wasn't my fault.

Then, there was a sudden gust of wind, and I felt something extremely close to me, leaning on my shoulder.

Of course, I already knew that it was Kish.

He leaned his chin onto my shoulder ever so casually, and I tried hard to elbow him; however he moved away just as quickly as he came. I looked for him blindly, as I heard his strangely familiar laugh. When I spotted him near his chimera animal, I charged at him without any hesitation. He scoffed at me while I tried to hit him with my weapon, [again, the only weapon that looked like an actual weapon] a butterfly katana. He dodged me and I found myself still charging, but only this time, in the direction of the monster, who was right in the middle of launching an attack.... directed at me....

My eyes widened and I froze once I found myself, seconds away from the point of non-existence.

...Then, at the last second, I felt myself being swooped up and carried away. That was followed by the same comforting scent that belonged to only one man.

The mysterious savior, cloaked with anonymity.

My heart rate increased as I began to wonder what was about to happen. Was I about to find out who this person was? And what was I going to do about this? Would I be able to take this?

From shock, I tried to push myself away, but I was brought back into those comforting arms.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you... Now sleep." His voice commanded and I fell into a deep sleep, just as he commanded.

______________

"...Y-you're here early," I blurted out as I got to that same grassy hill.

The man was already there, sitting as he faced the sun.

I sat beside him, a bit awkwardly, while we both looked at the sky.

"Uhm, thanks for saving me the other day," I said, avoiding the stare that I knew was directed at me, from behind that hood.

There was a long silence before he decided to speak.

"I don't want you to be one of the Mew Mews anymore." he mumbled, lifting his hand to rub his temples.

"W-why?" I asked, sort of shocked.

Sure, I didn't get along with Ichigo or Pudding much, especially in the mornings, but being with them wasn't too bad... because they made me feel like I belonged... like I was a part to their family.

"Why do I have to do that? Because I don't do what they say? Because I don't get along with some of them? Is that it? Why should I listen to you? Why should I leave?" I said, in attempt to defend my place.

"It's because I won't be able to protect you,"he hissed, looking at me, just as I was looking at him.

The first things I saw were those fierce glowing golden eyes, looking into mine. I grew afraid almost immediately, remembering those familiar eyes that glowed in the darkness, as the fire behind him grew.

Those eyes belonged to that same alien, the one who had caused my brother's death.

"Y-you're an alien!" I said, already a few feet away from him.

My face hardened as I locked my emotions away. I felt so betrayed, and at the same time, I felt like I had betrayed my friends. I tried to transform, but before I had the chance to, the alien had leaped towards me, so that I was laying on the ground with both of his hands on either side of my head.

"I've never done anything to you. I told you I'd protect you... Don't reject me as well," he said, leaning his hooded head on top of my shoulder.

I pushed him away, anger overflowing from my body.

I stood up and transformed so that I could finally get my revenge. Knowing that my savior was actually my mortal enemy hurt me deeply, but I couldn't overlook the fact that my brother was dead because of him. I couldn't forgive him.

"You set my house on fire. You killed my brother. You made my life miserable... It was you!" I shouted as I walked towards his hooded figure on the ground, slowly trying to crab-walk away. "And, you think that you have the right to comfort me?! To make me happy?! To protect me?! Who do you think you are?!"

As my rage grew, my emotionless mask shattered before him, letting him know what I was feeling. Why was I always so weak around him...?

When he could no longer move away, I waited for his reply, with my katana by his neck.

He slowly stood up, and I let him, carefully lifting my katana as he got up.

"Why does it have to be this way?" he said, angry. "Why do you have to look at me like that? Why did you have to find out?! Why did I have to fall in love with you?!"

My heart skipped a beat as I gust of wind blew across from us, so that his hood fell off of his head.

My eyes widened, but grew sad as I met the eyes of the one and only, Kish. His hurt eyes moved me, and I could no longer find the will to kill him. I couldn't, after all he had said.
I couldn't ignore the fact that he had also captured my heart, and that we were both trying to deny our feelings for the sake of our causes.

His goal was to take over the world. Mine was to save it.

Our wills were different, and that was why we would never be.

I slowly began to back away, while my bangs hid my eyes, so he wouldn't be able to see the tear rolling down on my face.

"W-why did you say that...?" I said, "Now, I won't be able to...."

I trailed off, making it, so my katana no longer touched him. I transformed back into my human form, and without another word, I ran away.

___________

"Mikan, is there something wrong?" Lettuce asked, shyly hiding behind the small tray in her hands.

I had been daydreaming again, with my chin resting on my crossed arms, looking out the
window of Cafe Mew Mew. I hadn't slept at all since that day, but I couldn't let anyone know how I was feeling.

I didn't want them to feel my pain.

"I'm alright," I said, smiling, "Why? Do you need any help?"

She and the rest of the Mews looked at me worriedly, as I stood up and went into the kitchen.

They all followed in after me, and circled around me, as I was sitting on the chair by the island, helping Keiichiro decorate some desserts.

"Stop acting so weird. You're not being yourself," Mint said, crossing her arms.

I smiled.

"I'm only trying to be more helpful around here. I'm starting to feel a bit guilty for-"

"Cyniclon ALERT!" R2000 suddenly yelled.

And so they were off again.

But I stayed frozen, with the icing holder still in my hands.

Keiichiro looked at me and smiled.

"Are you going to follow them, Mikan-chan?"

I blinked and hesitantly nodded, before I ran after the rest of the group.

__________

We were all there. One one side, the Mews.

On the other, the Cyniclons and their pet mutations.

I avoided all eye contact with them, only looking at the deadly creatures that growled at us.

"Oh, look. Well if it isn't the Mew Mews," Pie said, crossing his arms.

"And, isn't that the one who tore our little Kish's heart into two...?" Tart added, and I could tell that everyone's eyes were on me. "Should we kill her for you, then?"

"Wh-what?" Ichigo stammered in shock. "I-is that true, Mikan?"

I looked at the rest of the team with hard faces, like I was unfazed, although, just remembering it made my heart heavy.

"It's not true," Kish interrupted and the Mews looked at him, instead, "Actually, I'm the one who broke the Little Butterfly's heart, right?"

They all looked back at me, and I looked back at them, while I could feel Kish's anticipating stare on my back.

My wings began to flap and my weapon appeared in my hands.

"You wish," I lied to him and myself, charging at him, leaving my friends behind.

All three of them disperse, and he dodged slowly, so that I was still able to give him a small scratch on his arm.

"Why you stupid human...!" Tart said, attacking with an energy beam.

I slashed the beam in half with a flick of the wrist, and attempted to charge at the small cyniclon.

But in a blink of an eye, Pie was at his side, and I was kicked hard, slamming into a tree.

I groaned, while the rest of the mews shouted my name.

"Don't worry about me," I yelled back. "Concentrate on the chimera animals."
I shot up from the tree and aimed an attack at Pie, but I was interrupted again, this time by an attack from Kish.

"I told you that I wouldn't be able to protect you like this," he said, as he came at me, with the weapon in his hands, slashing my stomach.

"Well then, so be it." I said, kicking him towards his colleagues, so that they all started to fall towards the rest of the fight, from down below.

I held my stomach and winced as I heard their impact with the ground.

Panting, I made my way back to the ground, to where the 3 of them landed.

It was a bit dusty, so I couldn't see, but as the dust cloud cleared, I found myself surrounded by them all.

We were no longer near the rest of the Mews... I don't even think we were near the city anymore.

We were on a piece of.... rock... floating up in the air.

"H-how did we get here?" I asked, in full-defense mode.

"Relax, human. We brought you here, "Tart said, floating with his hand behind his head. "Kish, are you sure she's worth it?"

I turned to see Kish, looking at me with eyes of contemplation.

"I... need to do this." he said.

The two chuckled as he said this.

"Alright then." Pie said. "We'll get back to the fight. Have fun."

And then, with a small flash of light, they were gone, and it was only me and Kish.

We were silent, but I was a bit more cautious as he walked towards me; there was this suspicious look in his eyes.

"Look, I don't know what we-"

Before I could make another noise, I felt something warm touch my lips, embracing me as well.

My heart skipped a beat as my eyes widened.

"I'll make you mine someday." Kish said, as our lips parted.

His forehead was touching mine, and my hands were in his.

A smile was on his lips.

"...For now, I can only protect you... So, until then, wait for me."

I looked up at him and my tears began to fall...

"...It wasn't you, was it....? The fire..." I began to trail off as I moved my head from his, and brought it to his shoulder.

It was quiet for awhile, as he comforted me while I cried.

Once I stopped, I heaved a heavy sigh but stayed unmoving.

"...Alright." I said weakly, starting to move so that I could face him properly. "Until that day... I'll wait for you."

Our faces grew close once again, and with that, we shared another soft kiss, before we were brought back to reality.

___________

And that was how my wish was fulfilled.

By that mysterious stranger that had always loved me.

By the supposed evil who found me, and protected me from harm...

The kiss we shared was a sign of that gray areas in life.

That in between the good and the bad, there was always that middle area, where wishes
were fulfilled, as long as we found a way to become one.

And to think, this all began with that phrase of hidden love... that phrase of loyalty.

"I'll protect you..."