Status: Completed; Comments, please?; Sixalog?

Silvery-Edged Black Cloud

Chapter Four: Date Night Gone Wrong

It’s been a few weeks. Josh and I are back together. Of course Alison’s up my ass, saying I’m making the biggest mistake of my life. Alec, Mary, Scarlett, and Jesse are siding with their mother.

“Melody! This is so stupid! You’re wasting your time with Josh! You’re meant to be with Kevin! No matter how big of a baby he is! Ditch his little brother —”

“Alison, I’m not letting this control my life. I love Josh. And he loves me. If it’s not meant to be, then oh well,” I say, rolling my eyes as I put mascara on. I’m going on a date with Josh tonight. “I’m twenty-seven, Al. I make my own decisions.”

“You’re just making Kevin’s part even harder,” Alison grumbles stubbornly. “He’s not gonna just sit back and watch.”

“Ahuh, and you think I care?” I say, rolling my eyes. I put on some dark red lip-gloss, smirking at my reflection, my scars clearly visible. “If he doesn’t care, then I don’t.”

“He’s already gotten in a fight with Josh about this!” Alison yells angrily, glaring at me. “It’s not as simple as just ignoring it and it’ll go away. Believe me. I’ve tried.”

“You’re one to talk, Alison. You’ve already had your happily ever after.”

“You think my life is perfect because I have Martin?!” Alison growls furiously. “You’re so far from wrong with that. My dad was killed by my uncle! My oldest kids’ father is a stalking psycho vampire that I hate! Oh, and my first cousin is out to ruin my life! Then there’s all these problems I have outside of my family!”

“Like what?” I snap angrily.

“Oh, I dunno! How about the fact that I’m destined to lead the entire world of witches!” Alison growls. “If you think it’s just a walk through flowers then you’re dead wrong! Everyone hangs onto every word I say! I’m only called upon for prophecies.”

“Which must not be often.”

“You’d think,” Alison snaps. “I’ve already missed my crowning at sixteen. I’ve got a mountain loud of crap to do!”

“Big deal,” I growl angrily.

“Whatever! Just go ruin your life, Melody! I don’t give crap anymore!” Alison growls furiously, stomping away. “I hate you!!!”

Those three little words made me feel like crying. Alison may have said it to me one other time, but that was years ago. Sure, this wasn’t our first fight. But, it just might be our worst.

We had never hit so many nerves on each other. We both had a lot going on. I’ll admit that I don’t have half a clue of what Alison must be going through. I didn’t know she had that much to stress about. But, I was just sick of everyone trying to tell me what to do. I mean, thirteen years ago I wouldn’t mind that much. Thirteen years ago, though, I was only fourteen. I lived for people to tell me what to do.

It was only a matter of seconds until I began crying. I seriously felt like I just lost my sister. I also think that part of it was the tears I didn’t cry when my dad was murdered. When I watched him die.

I thought I was over that. Over the hurt I felt for never getting to know him. The hopelessness I had felt when I just wanted to save him from Kevin’s stake. But, I couldn’t. I was weak.

I wiped desperately at my eyes, hearing someone knocking on my door. After a few minutes of sobbing uncontrollably, Josh walked in. He stayed silent, pulling me onto his lap, letting me cry on him.

He waited a few moments, as I slowly calmed down, before finally asking, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing … I just got in a fight with Alison,” I say, hiding my make-up ruined face.

“Really?” Josh asks suspiciously. “Is that what messed-up your pretty face?”

“Yeah,” I say, laughing slightly. Josh gave me a suspicious look, making me sigh. “I was … I was remembering when my dad died.”

“Oh, yeah … Kevin thought he was Donovan. It was an honest mistake,” Josh says, obviously defending his older brother. “But, it was for the best. I mean, he nearly killed you —”

“I know.”

“And he was under Donovan’s control,” Josh says quickly. “Kevin figured it out after awhile. Your dad —”

“It took him that long?” I say, rolling my eyes. “I had known for months.”

“Oh,” Josh says uncomfortably. “If you tell him that I defended him he’ll be kicking my ass twice as much.”

“I hardly talk to him,” I say, rolling my eyes, taking a wash cloth to wipe off the smeared make-up on my face.

“You know, I personally prefer the no-makeup look,” Josh says, moving strands of my hair behind my ear. “You think you’re okay?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“I just don’t want this outfit going to waste,” Josh says, smirking. I look down at my outfit, not quite getting it. It was a simple strapless black shirt, heart-collar, and not too slutty. It was a little revealing, okay? I’ll admit it! Then I had some shredded jean-mini-shorts on. I didn’t understand what he meant.

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” I ask, as I sit back on Josh’s lap, kissing him immediately.

“Nothing’s wrong.

“You made it sound like I was dressing like a slut.”

“Baby, you’re beautiful,” Josh says, kissing me. “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” I say, smiling at him. He lays me back on my bed, smiling into the kiss. I pull away quickly, uncomfortable with where this was headed. “Josh …”

“What?”

“What do you think you’re doing?” I ask, slipping out from under him quickly, sitting at the edge of the bed. “Not until I see a ring.”

“I can buy one faster than you may think,” Josh says, smirking as he sits next to me. He kisses me deeply, pulling me closer to him, to the point where I was on his lap. I wrap my arms around his neck, smiling into it.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too,” Josh murmurs, lying me back on the bed.

“No,” I say almost immediately, pulling away. “No, Josh.”

“Fine,” he sighs, smiling reassuringly at me. I scoot closer to him, lying my head on his chest and falling asleep there.

♠ ♣ ♠

I woke up next to Josh, his arm wrapped around me as he slept. It was always so peaceful in the morning. I slowly, reluctantly, pulled myself away from him, gathering some clothes quietly to go and take a shower.

I walk out, toweling my hair, earning the attention of Josh almost immediately. He pins me up against the wall, making me drop the towel from shock. He touches my cheek, looking startled as he gazes at me.

“What are you?”

“W-what are you talking about?” I say, shaken from the suddenness of this situation. Just like that, he was gone. I stayed there against the wall for a few more moments, before I shook it off.

I continued drying out my hair, soon combing through it. I start adding my makeup, putting some on my arms in attempt to hide the scars. I tried ignoring them, as I added my normal thin layer of silvery eyeliner. It really added some effect to my diamond eyes. I put on a clear coat of lip-gloss, smirking at my reflection. I looked almost exactly like I had before the Torture. The thin layer of makeup on my arm really helped.

I glanced at the clock, startled at the time. I run through my house, quickly flying to school, disappointed that I was unable to enjoy the short flight. I go running through the hallways, ignoring the shouts as I bumped into people, deciding to kick it up to high-speed as I fled through the thin corridors with blinding-speed.

I barely made it to homeroom, but I wasted no time in taking my seat quickly as the teacher glared at me. “Miss Knight,” Mr. Brown says disapprovingly. I take no notice, ignoring the snickers I got. I just took my seat in attempt to ignore the fact that Alison was glaring holes into my back from her seat beside Martin.

♠ ♣ ♠

I walk slowly through the hallways, trying to ignore the constant shoving as everyone hurriedly went to their next class. This was elective.

I had been considering my elective for awhile. I wanted to specialize in the paranormal. But, more importantly, history. I wanted to know more about Katharina. If I could.

“Ah, good morning, Miss Knight,” Mr. Evans says, nodding in acknowledgment. I quickly took my seat, pulling out the book and reading almost immediately. “Eager to learn?”

“You could say that,” I say, rolling my eyes. “Is there, umm, any record of some Nathanson’s?”

“Nathanson … no, I don’t think so.”

“What about Katharina?”

“Nope.”

“Oh,” I say, chewing on my lip, trying desperately to remember something Alison had told me … “What about Rebecca Nurse?”

“An accused witch of Salem. Here, you’ll hear more about it in this,” he hands me a slip of paper, with a web address on it. I smile at him, pulling out my laptop.

The first thing I read was a poem:

O Christian Martyr Who for Truth could die
When all about thee Owned the hideous lie!
The world, redeemed from superstition’s sway,
Is breathing freer for thy sake today.

--Words written by John Greenleaf Whittier and inscribed on a monument marking the grave of Rebecca Nurse, one of the condemned “witches” of Salem.


If only they knew the truth, I think, as I continue reading …
♠ ♠ ♠
Salem Witch Trials < just incase you're curious. Melody's Outfit
NOTICE!!! Please read.