Status: Completed; Comments, please?; Sixalog?

Silvery-Edged Black Cloud

Chapter Eight: Not Again

I knew exactly how to figure out what I needed to know. I went straight to the Books•A•Million, purchasing a Bible and a book on mythology. Seems legit. I went around town searching for historic documents and books; anything that could possibly help me, I bought.

I was at home right now. I had turned one of my many spare rooms into a study. Books of all different kinds and sorts were scattered, wide open and welcoming for me to read. I had ripped some pages out of the books, taping them on the wall of my study.

I was just starting to read the Bible — I know this is probably a bad thought, but I really wish I didn’t have to read this. Then I heard someone knock on my door. Instead of being a polite hostess, I merely yelled, “Door’s open! Come on in!”

Footsteps echoed through the halls; always hesitant with every step he or she took. But, finally, Kevin’s familiar voice asked, “Melody? Where are you?”

“Down the hall,” I yell absently, ashamed to say that I was a little too eager to close the book.

“Umm … hey. What are you doing?”

“Research,” I say, rolling my eyes. “I never knew that the Romans just took the Greeks’ myths, but just changed the names.”

“Yeah. Greeks were very original,” Kevin says, smirking, reading one of the pages from my mythology book that was hanging on the wall. “What’s all of this for?”

“Kevin … if you knew something that could be a threat you’d tell me, right?” I ask uncomfortably, looking everywhere and anywhere but at him.

“Umm … yeah, I guess. Maybe,” he says uncomfortably.

There was a frantic knock at the door. I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I glance at Kevin before I go sprinting through the house, opening the doorto a panicked-Martin.

“Melody, have you seen Alison?”

“No. Why?”

“Oh, great! I’ve been looking everywhere for her! Normally, I wouldn’t be worried, but I can’t find Jesse or Scarlett! I think she went back to Donovan! Damn, what am I gonna do?! I love her!” Martin continues on his panic, his words no longer reaching my ears.

I wasn’t standing at my front door with Kevin and Martin anymore. I wasn’t even on Fallen anymore. I’m not sure where I am.

But, I saw her. Alison. She was crying. Jesse stood beside her, tall and strong like he was ready to protect his mother and little sister. Scarlett was trying desperately to comfort her mom, even though she seemed to have no idea about what was going on.

“Mommy, what’s wrong?” Scarlett asks worriedly.

“Nothing, sweetheart, we’re just going to see Daddy.”

“Why?” Jesse asks confusedly, “Usually Dad just comes to see us.”

“This time’s different, Jesse,” Alison says as strongly as she could manage, “Come on, we’re almost there.”

“No,” Jesse says stubbornly, “What’s he doing to you?!”

“Jesse Theodore Andrews,” Alison says fiercely, “You will come along or your Father will deal with you.”

“He doesn’t scare me. What’s he doing to you, Mom?”

“Jesse, stop worrying about me. Everything’s fine,” Alison lies. Jesse frowns sadly at her, obviously not buying the lie. His protective stance seemed even more edgy as he walked alongside his mother and sister.

They finally come to a little cabin, where the door swung open, revealing Donovan. Jesse bared his teeth, growling and snarling as he stood protectively in front of Alison and Scarlett. In a flash, Jesse was on his back, Donovan growling over him. But, Jesse didn’t stay down for long. He fought hard. Donovan won, though.

Jesse was unconscious with Alison and Scarlett crying beside him. Donovan pulled Alison up, kissing her. “I knew you’d be back, Alison.”

“Where’s my mom?”

“At home. She doesn’t remember a thing,” Donovan says quietly, smiling devilishly at her. “Don’t do anything stupid, Alison, or I’ll do more than kidnap your mother.”

“I know,” she says, tears falling down her cheeks.

I came back to Fallen, Kevin shaking me worriedly. “Melody, are you okay?”

“I know where Alison is,” I say, looking around for Martin, “She didn’t go back to Donovan! Well, she did, but not by choice! He kidnapped her mom! And, I guess that he threatened her! But, we’ve gotta hurry!”

“Melody, you’re a little late. Martin’s already chasing after her. He’s gonna try to her back.”

“We have to stop him!”

“Well, what are we waiting for? Lets get going!”

♠ ♣ ♠

“Are you sure she’s in there?” Kevin asks, skeptical.

“Positive,” I say, rolling my eyes. “I saw it. But, we have to be really careful.”

“I’m not scared of him.”

“Gosh, you just don’t get it! He threatened her! He means business this time.”

“Fine,” Kevin grumbles. He glares around, looking for any sign of something, saying, “You stay here.”

“What? No. Just flat out no,” I say, glaring at him. “I’m not just gonna sit here while you kill him! I’ve told you this a thousand times, Kevin!”

“Just stay out here,” he growls fiercely.

“Stand your ground,” the all-too familiar voice of five years ago returns.

“I’m going.”

“No, you’re staying.”

“Flirt.” Okay, when does a voice tell you to flirt?

But, of course, I obeyed. I batted my eyelashes just like in the movies, sticking my bottom lip out in a pout. Hopefully, this would work, because Kevin noticed the change almost immediately. I let strands of my golden-blonde hair fall in front of my face. Kevin’s hand reached out, hesitantly, slowly moving the strands out of my face. His hand lingered as he cupped my face, making me stare straight into his silvery-golden eyes.

There was nothing but silence as his lips came closer to mine. I was getting nervous. Did my breath smell okay? Do I look cute? How’s my hair? Gosh, if I ask another idiotic question then I’m going to slap myself.

His lips met mine, so soft and sweet. Fire erupted completely, nearly burning my mouth with its intensity. His hands tangled in my hair, deepening it. It happened again. There was nothing else but him. I felt utterly paralyzed. I couldn’t even think straight!

My head felt like it was spinniing because of the lack of oxygen. I was relieved when he slowly pulled away, letting me gasp for breath. He smiled at me. A real smile. I hadn’t seen one of those in years. I could probably count all the times he’s smiled at me.

He presses his forehead against mine, just staring at me. Something felt … off. Weird, even. There was something nagging me at the back of my mind. His lips pressed against mine again; fiercer and rougher than I had expected. My mind went blank when he did that. All thoughts were erased. Just like that.

I felt like I was dreaming. This is Kevin! A boy without a fear on this planet; who almost seems to have no other emotion but anger. The only person he had even seemed to like was Alison; his niece and my sister. It was just too unreal that he was kissing me! He’s made it clear that he just wanted to be friends if anything. Which — I’m a little ashamed to admit this — hurt. Almost a physical pain, even.

As he pulled away, I say the one thing that could possibly make me suicidal, “I love you.”

He merely smiled, kissing me again with that same passionate intensity. I felt my arms wrap around his neck. His slowly slid down my back, until they were firmly locked around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

I think Fate was cruel. Why? Because as I hear the door of the cabin open, Kevin kisses me. Now, I know what you’re thinking. Why don’t I just pull away and run after them? Simple. How often do you think I get the chance to have a make-out session with Kevin?! If you guessed a lot: Boy, do I wish you were right! If you guess never: I’m disappointed to say you’re right.

An endless amount of time went by, filled with pure happiness, before thoughts finally began to sink into my mind. I look around, as if waking up from a deep, deep sleep. I remembered Alison, immediately untangling myself from Kevin, feeling my cheeks burn hot. I look around, desperate to try and ignore the awkward silence.

“Melody! Have you seen Alison?” Martin asks, panting. “I’ve been calling her cell —”

“Hold that thought,” I say, running toward the cabin. It was unlocked. Not a good sign. No, really! There’s a sign on the door that says, “Bad!” I run around the cabin, Kevin and Martin right behind me.

“Damn it!!!” Martin yells angrily. A furious crash was heard afterwards. I run into the room, ducking just before something hit me. You know, for a dude being just a few inches taller than Alison, he’s strong!

“Holy crap, Martin! What’s wrong?!” I yell, as he continues tearing the room apart.

This.” He held up a tiny diamond ring. I didn’t recognize it at first, but I soon realized it was Alison’s wedding ring.

Donovan,” I growl angrily. “The psychopath is getting a stake in the heart for this.”

I grab the ring, and am immediately taken somewhere other than where I currently was. I was still in the same room, except Donovan and Alison were there.

Alison was crying as she stared out the window, Donovan wiping at her tears. I clenched my fists at the sight of him, a million ways to kill him popping into my mind. I walk over to the window, curious to see what was upsetting my little sister. It was Kevin and me. We were kissing. It was just complusion, I think sadly, feeling tears glide down my cheeks.

“Please, stop,” she says quietly.

“Now, why would I do that?”

“When I find you, I’m gonna drive that stake through whatever you seem to think is a heart,” I growl angrily.

Donovan bared his teeth, almost as if he’d heard me, growling, “He gave you that, didn’t he?”

“Y-yeah,” she says through tears. He grabs her wrist forcefully, glaring at Alison’s wedding ring. “Donnie, what are you gonna do?”

“Get rid of it,” he growls, “Grab Jesse and Scarlett. We’ll leave. But get rid of it.

“Donnie, please!” I know Alison wouldn’t just hand if over! Her ring is one of her most prized possessions. She glances out the window, where Kevin’s arms were sliding down my back till they were firmly around my waist. “Stop it! Look, there!” Alison was sobbing by this point. She threw the ring on the ground. Any spark of life that was in Alison’s raven-feather eyes completely faded right then.

I came back, Jesse and Scarlett talking to Martin as Kevin shook me into reality. The room was torn to bits, Alison’s wedding ring still in my hand, as I gripped it tightly.

“I’m at the Holiday Inn. Room number 1026.” I repeat it to myself a few times.

“What?” Kevin asks, looking oddly at me.

“Alison must’ve put a spell on the ring when Donovan made her get rid of it,” I say, nodding to myself.

“He kidnapped Grand-mére,” Jesse says gravely. “He’s not going down without a fight.”

“Kevin, you still carry around some wooden stakes, right?” I ask, looking up at him.

“Yeah. Why?”

“You might need them,” I say, rolling my eyes.

♠ ♣ ♠

I run into the Holiday Inn, everyone following quickly behind me. I just had this gut-wrenching feeling in the pit of my stomach. I decided not to waste my time waiting on the elevator, running up the steps. I knew that it was probably stupid, but who gives crap? My sister’s with a psycho vampire! Which is exactly why I flew all the way up to the tenth floor. I ran down the hall to the room, where Kevin kicked open the door.

“What the damn hell,” Kevin growls. Alison was lying on the floor, screaming out in pain. I run to her side, holding her close as she screamed out in agony.

“It’s okay, Al, calm down,” I say, watching as Kevin dangles Donovan above the ground.

“What’s wrong with Alison?!!!” Kevin growls furiously, shaking him violently.

“I don’t know!! She just went into a trance! You gotta help her!!!” Donovan really looked like he was struggling.

“Oh, I’ll help everyone.” He pulls out a stake, nearly throwing it through Donovan’s heart before I yelled, “Kevin, stop. Lets just get Alison and leave.”

Alison screams out in pain suddenly, thrashing violently. I struggle to keep my hold on her, trying to calm her down. “Put down the stake, drop the camp, and lets go.”

Martin finally came, helping me get Alison out of there. About time, I think. Kevin helps us carry her out, where she screams in agony, thrashing violently once again. “Al, calm down,” I say, as we start running down the halls. “Lets get to Fallen.”