Status: Who knows?

You Just Don't Know What the Future Holds

The Beginning

"Erin, wake up!"Joe whispered, slightly shaking me.

"Never!" I mumbled.

"Its your birthday..." He started.

"I'm up...and twenty-one, wooh!" I jumped up and out of bed.

He chuckled, "What do you want for breakfast?"

"Chocolate chip pancakes?" I asked.

"Okay." He smiled and kissed my forehead, "Happy Birthday."

After I had freshened up, I could smell the pancakes so I headed downstairs.

Joe and I had been living in his condo in Texas ever since I was moved out here because of my job.

I did attend Rutgers college back in New Jersey, majoring in Business and Finance.

During my time there, I needed a job so I applied for a position as secretary and was soon promoted and moved out here.

Luckily, Joe and I had been dating during my time at Rutgers and he visited whenever he could but living with him is so much better. (no pun intended.)

I do work with the same company, but I really want to be a writer or a professional photographer.

I met Joe when I was thirteen.

My friend, Suliery, was doing a shoot of him and his brothers and I was lucky enough to tag along.

I hung out with her so much, learning the ropes of photography, that I had run into the guys many times.

After about three years of getting to know them, Joe and I kept in touch.

Then Suliery, being the good friend that she is, invited him to my high school graduation, why I don't know...but we spent the summer together and when I turned eighteen, he asked me out on a date.

The date didn't go perfectly, but nothing does, all that mattered was I knew I was falling in love because it wasn't perfect.

He may not be perfect, but everyone has flaws, and I like his.

Three years together with little drama is quite amazing, considering his brother's (Nick) relationship with his now wife, Staci.

(but that's a whole other story...literally)

Breakfast was quiet, which is very unusual for Joe.

"Nick and Staci are coming over later...Kevin and Danielle would've but they are busy with the baby and mom and dad are away with Frankie..." Joe said.

"Its okay, you know I don't really like big parties." I stated.

"Yeah but still..." He stated.

"It'll still be fun. I'm excited." I offered.

He chuckled and shook his head, "Such an optimist."

"Yeah, that's me...I always see the glass half full, unless I'm thirsty." I hinted.

"Orange juice?" He asked.

"Apple, please." I smiled.

"Sure." He got up and got both of us some apple juice.

Around lunch time, Nick and Staci, or Naci as I call them, arrived.

"Happy Birthday!" Staci smiled when I opened the door to let them in.

"Thanks." I beamed back.

"Looks like little Jersey is growing up." Nick stated as he placed a silver box with a purple bow in my hands.

"Nick!" Staci whined, "You weren't supposed to give her that right away."

"I'll just put it over here..." I said and sat it on the table.

"No, just open it now." She shot Nick a look.

"Keys?" I asked.

"Yeah, they are to the rental Hummer outside." Nick explained, popping a grape into his mouth.

My eyes grew wide.

(Hummers are my obsession, I absolutely adore them!)

"What?!" I squealed.

"We know how much you love those gas guzzlers, so we thought it might be fun for you to drive one for a day." Staci stated.

"Wow! You guys are the best!" I said and hugged them both.

"We know." Nick said and Joe rolled his eyes.

He was still being eerily quiet...

We ate lunch at Olive Garden, one of my favorite restaurants.

I drove us there and back, in the amazing black Hummer.

(Baby blue ones are my favorite but they are so hard to find, let alone rent!)

When we got back to the condo, we watched 'The Breakfast Club' and just chilled.

I wanted to watch Transformers but Staci doesn't like that movie so I picked one that we would all enjoy.

After the movie finished, I stared at the lovely Hummer taking up my parking spot!

"Stupid me, I thought you were kidding about your Hummer obsession..." Joe stated when Naci left.

"Nope and you aren't stupid." I smiled.

"Oh, and I'm not stupid but I'm not as smart as you!" He always argued about this...

"Oh hush, you are harshing my mood." I joked.

"Fine." He said and stuck his tongue out.

After a while of flipping through channels and me writing a little bit for the story Staci and I had been working on, Joe cooked us some homemade French Bread Pizza.

While he was waiting for it to cook, he ran upstairs briefly.

When he came down we ate and cuddled on the couch, watching Transformers!

"So, uh, my present for you is upstairs." He stuttered.

"Okay." I followed him to his room.

When I walked in, there were candles lit up everywhere and multi-colored flower petals scattered in various areas of the room.

He took my hands in his, "Erin, these past few years have been incredible, just like you. You bring the semi-serious part of me out but still make me feel like being a kid is okay. Every time you smile, my heart skips a beat, and every time we kiss it goes crazy. You make me so happy, and," He slowly lowered himself onto one knee and pulled a little box out of his pocket, "I'd be happier than a little kid in a candy store if you'd be mine forever...So, Erin, will you marry me?"

I felt the biggest smile spread across my face before I whispered, "Yes."

He slipped a beautiful ring on my finger and kissed me as if he had never kissed me before...