Status: Who knows?

You Just Don't Know What the Future Holds

No Stealing

Joe's POV

I was woken up by the sound of soft sniffles and little feet padding on the floor of the hallway. I got out of bed, trying my best not to wake Erin.

"What's the matter, Zoe?" I whispered, picking her up and walking towards the window at the end of the hallway.

"I had a bad dream." She sobbed into my shoulder.

"What happened in it?" I asked, wiping the tears off of her cheeks and sitting on the ledge.

"Somebody took me away from Mommy and Daddy." She looked at me while I wiped her tears away.

"Don't worry, Zoe, I'm here to protect you." I hugged her.

"You pwomise?" She sniffled.

"I promise." I kissed the top of her head.

"Thank you, Uncle Joey." She hugged me and looked out the window.

Once she calmed down, I walked her back to her room. Laying her on the bed, I asked: "What does Daddy do to get you back to sleep?"

"He sings to me sometimes, and you can if you want. I heard you, Daddy, and Uncle Nick sing and it's so pretty!" She smiled, making me chuckle.

"What song would you like me to sing?"

"Fly With Me! I know you don't really sing in it, but Mommy and Daddy really like that song."

"Okay.

If time was still,
The sun would never, never find us.
We could light up the sky tonight,
I can see the world through your eyes,
Leave it all behind.
If you it's you and me forever,
If it's you and me right now,
That'd be alright, be alright.
If we chase the stars to lose our shadows,
Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine,
So won't you fly with me?
Oh yeah.
Gonna fly with me, now.
Now, the past,
Has come alive,
And given meaning,
And a reason to give all I can,
To believe once again.
If you it's you and me forever,
If it's you and me right now,
That'd be alright, be alright.
If we chase the stars to lose our shadows,
Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine,
So won't you fly with me?
Maybe you were just afraid,
Knowing you were miles away,
From the place where you needed to be.
And that's right here with me.
If you it's you and me forever,
If it's you and me right now,
That'd be alright.
If we chase the stars to lose our shadows,
Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine,
So won't you fly with me?
If it's you and me forever,
If it's you and me right now,
I'd be alright! Be alright.
If we chase the stars to lose our shadows,
Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine,
So won't you fly, fly, fly,
With me?" I finished and her eyes were drooping; I sang the chorus one more time and she was out. I stood up, kissed her forehead, and fixed the blankets so she wouldn't be cold.

"Is Zoey okay?" Erin asked when I walked back into our room.

"Yeah, she just had a bad dream."

"Aw."

"Yeah." I laid down and wrapped my arm around her waist, holding her extra close to me. "Night, love."

"Goodnight, Joe."

---

"Uncle Joey, Uncle Joey! Wake up!" Zoey shouted, pouncing on the bed.

"I'm up." I mumbled.

She started to jump up and down, "Auntie Erin, wake up!"

"I'm awake." Erin yawned and Zoey plopped down between us.

"Good morning!!" She beamed.

"Morning." Erin and I sleepily said back.

"Can you put the Saturday morning cartoons on for me, pwease?" She asked, using her puppy-dog face.

"Sure." I grabbed the remote from my bedside table and put on the requested program.

"I love this show!" She squealed.

"Be right back." I walked to the bathroom and did as needed. "Anyone want breakfast?" I asked when I walked out.

"Me!" Zoey smiled.

"What would you like?"

"Um...Dunkin' Donuts!"

"Alright, let's get dressed then me and you will go get some donuts and bring them here."

"OKAY!" She raced out of the room.

Erin and I chuckled, "She's too cute."

"Yeah. Um, do you mind staying here? I think it'll be easier if just Zoey and I go."

"Nah, that's fine."

"Okay." I got dressed and Zoey and I left. There aren't that many Dunkin' Donuts places in Texas, so the ride to the nearest one was kind of long.

"Hey, Zoe?"

"Yeah?"

"You can keep a secret, right?"

"If you let me guess what it is first."

"Okay."

"Um, are you going to buy Auntie Erin one of hose funny looking Humzers?" She asked. I laughed because even our niece new about Erin's obsession with Hummers.

"No."

"Did you play a trick on Uncle Nick or Uncle Frankie?"

"Nope."

"I give up, what is it?"

"Don't ever give up, Zoe, you can do anything if you set your mind to it."

"Okay, but can you tell me your real secret now?"

"You can't tell anyone, okay?"

"Okay!"

"Alright, so..." I paused, "Auntie Erin and I are going to have a baby."

"You are?!" She looked extremely shocked.

Fuck.

"Oh my gosh!" She shouted.

Double fuck.

"I'm going to have a cousin!" She screamed beaming. (Never mind the whole double fuck thing...)

"Yup." I nodded.

"Yay! Is it a boy or girl?"

"We don't know yet."

"Do you want a boy or girl?!"

"Either one is fine with me."

"What are you going to call it?!"

"I don't know yet, Zoe."

"Oh, well I think you should call it Joey Jr. or Erin Jr." She suggested.

"I'll think about it." I chuckled and we pulled into the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot.

As soon as we got back, we ate then Erin and I took Zoey to a nearby park where she ran into a friend and made a new one.

We had lunch at a nearby Friendlys' then returned home and watched 'The Lion King'. After the movie finished, we played some games and read stories. Dinner time came around quickly so Zoey and I cooked spaghetti together. Then we watched the second Lion King movie and when that was done, Erin and I bathed Zoey and got her ready for bed.

"I'll put her to bed, babe." Erin stated.

"You sure?" I asked

"Yeah." She nodded.

"Alright...Night Zoey." I kissed her head.

"Goodnight Uncle Joey." She kissed my cheek and hugged me.

I went to my room, showered, and got ready for bed. Babysitting all day is tiring. I can only imagine how tiring being a parent must be...

---

"Twisting and turning, your feelings are burning, you're breaking the girl..." My phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, Joe, it's Kevin."

"Oh, hey."

"We just got back and we'll be there to pick Zoey up in a little bit."

"Actually, we were just about to go grocery shopping, how about we drop her off after?"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's no big deal."

"Okay, thanks."

"Yup, see ya later."

"Bye."

"Come on, Zoe, we're going to ShopRite!"

"COMING!" Erin buckled Zoey in and we drove off.

Of course, Zoey asked for EVERYTHING when we were at the store...At least it gave me a glimpse of the future and how eventually my child will be begging their uncle for a bazillion things from ShopRite. After we paid, we drove Zoey home. She did not want to go back, but Kevin convinced her by bribing her with ice cream.

On the way home, Erin and I just listened to the radio. When we finally got home we had crazy wild sex. Not! I wish though...

---

For the rest of the week I helped Nick paint and move some stuff in. His house was coming along really nicely, the six bedrooms were huge, the five and a half bathrooms were really nice, and the property was really private. The drive there was only fifteen minutes long, so it was really easy to get there. Luckily, on Friday he had something else to do so I didn't have to make up an excuse as to why I wouldn't be able to help that long; Erin had her first ultrasound and I did not want to miss it.

"Erin? Come on, hun." The tech lady called, so I grabbed Erin's hand and we followed her. "Just sit up here."

"Alright." She did as told and the tech lady got everything ready.

"Well, it looks like everything is coming along well." The lady smiled and continued to make circles on the screen and push buttons.

Erin's grip tightened on my hand, "Joey, look!"

"So, that's the head, and there are the fingers, and, those are the toes." The tech lady pointed out everything on the screen.

"Can we get a few pictures instead of just one?" I asked when she started to print them out.

"Sure, hun." She nodded. "At your next ultrasound you can find out the gender."

"Alright." Erin smiled.

"You can just call to schedule that, mmkay?" The lady asked.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Well, you're done. Keep taking the same precautions, and yes, sir, sex is okay at this point." The lady said and Erin laughed.

"Thank you." Erin stated, taking the pictures.

"No problem, hun. See you soon!" We walked out of the room and made our way to the car.

"Why did you laugh when she said 'and yes, sir, sex is okay at this point'?" I asked when we were about halfway home.

"Because you didn't even ask. I just thought it was funny because she probably gets asked that so much that she just decided to tell people." She answered.

"Oh."

"Yup."

"Can you take this CD out and put in 'The Eminem Show' please?" I asked.

"Sure, which song do you want to hear?"

"Business."

"How did I know?"

"Because I always rap along with it." She laughed. "Do you want to grab dinner out, or just have, like, frozen pizza?"

"Well, frozen pizza sounds great but-"

"You know what I mean."

"I know," She chuckled, "I don't know, what ever is fine."

"You sure? I don't want to have your cravings go unsatisfied."

"Funny."

"I'm being serious."

"Really?!?"

"Can you answer the question, please?!"

"Touchy..."

"Erin!!"

"Yes, I am sure, what ever you want is fine with me."

"Alright, then a nice ham sandwich on whole grain bread with mayo and plain Lay's chips."

"ANYTHING BUT THAT!"

I laughed, "But you said what ever I want, remember?"

"Joe!!"

"Hey, that's my thing. No stealing."

"Ugh."

"I win."

"We are so done with that, in case you haven't noticed."

"No we're not."

"Yes we are!"

"Fine."

"I WIN!!" She laughed.

"Funny."

"Hey, that's my thing. No stealing."

"You're cool."

"I know. Its just part of why you love me." She smiled.

I cut the engine and kissed her cheek. "That's true."