Run Away

four.

January 9th 2007; Boston Bruins at the Ottawa Senators.

Today would be Phil’s first day back with the Bruins. He was excited, of course, yet nervous at the same time, mainly because he would be back in the presence of his teammates.

Having cancer, especially the type of cancer that he had had, did something to his persona of being a man. Charli had tried to explain to him that it didn’t matter, but he still felt each of those looks burning through his skin as he pulled on his athletic cup. It was uncomfortable to say the least.

He had went about his day the same way he treated a normal game day and had requested, before cameras, microphones, and recorders were turned on, that his operation was not to be talked about; just hockey.

His teammates had welcomed him back with pats on the back, and hugs from a select few guys, but Phil still felt something was missing. It wasn’t something in him, but part of him wasn’t there in Boston. It just wasn’t there.

Charli was in the team box that night, waiting to see her boyfriend out on the ice again. For the first time since the beginning of their relationship, Charli was decked out in a Boston Bruins getup, Phil’s jersey included. She couldn’t have been more proud, either.

As Phil pulled his jersey over his he took a deep breath and looked around the locker room at all of the guys.

He knew that in a year he wouldn’t be in the same room anymore, he wouldn’t be playing with the same players, and he wouldn’t be pulling on the Bruins jersey. It was really no secret that he wasn’t happy in Boston.

“You ready?”

Phil looked up to see Blake Wheeler standing in from of him.

“I guess I just can’t wait to be on the ice again,” Phil explained.

The Bruins team all started to file out on to the ice and Phil quickly stood up, grabbing his stick.

Charli sat on the edge of her seat as they announced the starting lineup.
Phil came skating out, going to stand at the blue line in the Bruins zone. His heart burst with pride as they sang the national anthem, closing his eyes as the crowd cheered around him.

He could feel the excitement rising in his veins as the crowd yelled and hollered and the lights came on again. He leaned his head back, stretching out his neck, trying to stop the smile from gracing his lips. He opened his eyes just in time for the announcer to come back on.

“And joining us once again tonight is, back after missing eleven games, is Phil Kessel!”

The crowd cheered for him and Phil raised his hand, waiving to everyone; thanking everyone.

Phil skated around for a few seconds before coming to centre ice and getting into position.

Phil was back.