Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Hateful Words Regretted

We arrived in Vancouver extremely late for us, but only around nine Vancouver time. Marc-Andre carried me on his back, ultimately giving me a piggy back ride since I was so exhausted. Playing a game and having a long flight does not mix well, at all.
My chin rested on Marc’s shoulder, his arms were under my knees to keep me up as we walked through the mostly dead airport. Brooks carried Marc-Andre’s carryon bag as my own was on my back.
“Are we there yet?” I asked, half asleep.
I felt Gonch’s hand on my shoulder. “Sorry, dear, but we are only at the airport.” He said, and I let out a very distinct sigh.
We grab our bags from the carousal, well, Brooks and Geno carried my own and Marc-Andre’s, and we headed outside into the cool dark night. A man wearing a Team Canada Olympic jacket was waiting with a sign that read ‘Here for the Pittsburgh Penguins Olympic Players’. We started to walk over to him.
“At least you guys get a warm welcome.” I mumbled.
Marc-Andre turned his head and looked at me, a smile in his eyes. “This is for you too, love.” He whispered back. “You are here with us.”
I made a ‘hmph’ sound. “But I am no Olympian. I am just here for you.”
Sid looked back at me from the front of the pack he was at. “Yeah, but you are well loved among Canadians.” He said with smile, that I returned softly.
The man looked over at us as we made our way over to him. “Welcome to Vancouver, Canadian Olympians and Pittsburgh Penguins superstars.” He said and I decided to close my eyes.
“Thank you.” I heard Sidney say, and I felt Marc-Andre’s grip loosen on my legs. I opened my eyes and he let go softly, and I dropped my legs to the ground and landed with a small gasp at the numbness in my left ankle. “Get in.” Sid said, and I yawned in reply and slid in.
Marc-Andre slid in next to me and I curled up against him as the rest of the guys filed into the limo. “Alright, Athletes Village is where we are heading too, is it not?” The guy asked as Gonch closed the door.
“Correct.” Sidney and Sergei both said at once, causing a small chuckle from me.
“Alright, we will be there soon.” And we were off.

We made it to the Olympic village, also known as athlete’s village, and Marc-Andre slipped his arm under my legs and the other on my back, and carried me in his arms. I snuggled against him, my face nuzzling against his neck, eyes closed.
I heard some shuffling noises from the bags being picked up and thrown around, when I heard Brooks say, “Staal.”
I opened my eyes and looked to see Eric jogging towards us, waving. I yawned and rested my head back on Marc-Andre’s neck, but I kept my eyes open.
“Hey.” Eric said when he reached us, and the boys all replied while I just waved. The eldest Staal brother chuckled. “Sleepy, Erra?” He asked, not even waiting for an answer before slinging Marc-Andre’s hockey bag over his shoulder. “Follow me, Canadians. American’s and Russian’s have to wait for a designated person to pick them up and take them to their cabin.”
I chuckled softly and saw Geno’s confused look. “That means wait here.” I said and he rolled his eyes at me.
“Say goodbye to the Penguins, because from here on out,” Eric pointed to the group of three non-Canadians. “They are not your teammates anymore. You are officially enemies.” I could feel the stare from Brooks and I bit my lip to keep from laughing. “Now let’s go.” He said, and I felt Marc-Andre walk forward to follow.
“He is such a tease.” Marc-Andre whispered, and I looked up and chuckled at the smile he was wearing on his face. He looked down at me. “What? He is.”
I lifted my head and kissed his chin. “Yes, he is.”
“I can hear you, you know.” Eric said, looking back at us as we all laughed. “By the way, most of the guys are here by now. The Blackhawks just arrived about an hour ago.”
“Oh, goodie.” I said in a teasing way that made Eric look back at me with an eyebrow raised.
Sid grinned. “We had an incident with a few of the Hawks a little while ago. Only Tazer was there out of the three here, but still. She just has bad memories from it.”
I snorted. “I was punched in the face by some jackass, and then Kane decided to hit on me. It really is a wonder why I have bad memories when it comes to the Hawks.” I met Sidney’s eyes. “Not to mention Toews tried to hit on Jenna.”
A flash went through Sid’s eyes that I caught just before he looked away. I knew I caught him then.
Marc-Andre stopped walking and I looked up to see a “cabin” that had the Canadian flag hoisted on a flag pole right outside, blowing softly in the wind. “Well, here we are.” Eric said, opening the door as we shuffled through.
I dropped one leg from Marc’s arms, and he carefully let me go and I stood in the hallway that came from the front door. “Huh.” I said, spinning in a small circle and taking in my surroundings.
Marc-Andre pulled me against him as Eric dropped our stuff. “Leave your stuff here. Nashy will get them and take them up to your designated room.” Eric started walking again, and we followed, well, Marc-Andre followed, I was standing on his feet. “And this,” Eric said, stopping as we entered a huge living room like area with a lot of guys staring at us. “This is the large room, as we call it, and your now-teammates.”
Marc-Andre and I nodded as Sid looked around. “Sweet.” Said my brother, who then spotted Nashy and pounded fists with him. “This is really cool. They really know how to plan these things don’t they.
Marty Brodeur stood up and walked over, shaking hands with Marc-Andre’s free one since his other was wrapped around me. “It’s good to see you, on friendly terms.” Marty said to Marc-Andre.
Marc-Andre smiled “Yes, it is. Although it’s not like we’ve never truly not gotten along.” He said, his English slightly broken and it made me giggle.
See, the thing with goaltenders is that they never truly “hate” each other. They are all in the same life or death position for the game, so they tend to get along more than any other hockey players on opposing teams’ off-ice. On ice though, sometimes goalies will get... displeased with each other, and rarely a fight can happen. I threaten Marc-Andre that if he gets in a fight, I’ll force him to sleep on the couch for the night.
Marty turned his eyes on me, a smile still on his face. I could see Sidney shaking hands with everyone from the corner of my eye. “Little Erra.” He said with a smile. “It is good to see you too, nice and healthy.”
I blinked in surprise. I forgot that the last time we went up against the Devils I was sick, and the times before that I was suffering my wrist injury. “Oh, thank you.” I finally said after Marc-Andre nudged me.
Marty grinned and Jonathan popped up behind him, grinning at me in a way that made me sigh. “Hello, Toews.” I said as Marc chuckled and Marty walked way.
“It’s good to see you in one piece.” He said, and I shot him a vicious glare. He held up his hands. “Whoa there, I only meant that in a playful way.”
Marc-Andre squeezed my shoulder slightly. “She is tired, Tazer. It would be best not to anger her right now.” He said to Jonathan, which made me happy and I hoped the Blackhawk would go away.
Jonathan nodded and I saw Sid make himself comfortable between a few of the guys. “Right, sorry.” He said, his brown eyes leaking an apology. “But it really is good to see you not hurt.”
I held back a growl and Marc-Andre cleared his throat. “I will not retaliate because we are all Canadians here, rooting for Team Canada.” I said
Jonathan blinked and nodded. Marc-Andre left my side and went to go follow Brodeur somewhere. I saw Jonathan look me over, and I shifted in irritation. I was rescued by Duncan Keith, who came over. I had never truly met Duncan before. “If it isn’t Miss. Crosby.” He said. “I was actually really glad when I heard that you would be staying here. A woman’s touch is definitely needed when a bunch of guys like this are stuck in one huge cabin together.”
I laughed and Jonathan looked offended. “Hey, we aren’t that bad.” He grumbled.
Duncan winked at me. “Trust me, it is.” He said, laughing with me.
I looked over at Tazer. “Aww, no worries Tazey boy, I will keep everything peaceful.” I said, grinning.
Duncan laughed again. “I like her, she’s a keeper.”
Jonathan glared at his teammate. “More like a nagger.” He mumbled.
I snarled. “Excuse me?” I said, and a few of the guys turned their attention from the Olympics onto us. Duncan cocked his head in surprise. “I am not a nagger! You impudent, conceited little fool!” I shrieked and by now all of the guys were looking at us. Marc-Andre got up and started making his way over. I could also see Jonathan’s shocked look. “And at least my name isn’t confused with toes!”
Duncan placed himself between me and Jonathan and Jonathan took a step forward. “Don’t mention that!” He scowled. “Spoiled little runt!”
“Jonathan!” Duncan said, and I felt tears swell in my eyes just as Marc-Andre wrapped his arms around me calmingly.
“I am not spoiled!” I cried. “I have never been spoiled and will never act like it! I hate all those people who act like rich snobs!” I continued, tears falling down my cheeks as I shrieked at the Blackhawk.
Jonathan growled and Duncan pushed against him. “Enough, Jonathan!” He said as Marc-Andre tightened his grip around me and whispered in my ear. The rest of Team Canada was shifting uncomfortably.
I whipped around and ran towards the room that I saw Nash take our bags to. I could hear Marc-Andre behind me and I burst into the room, going into complete sobs as Marc wrapped his arms around me and I clenched his shirt in my fists and sobbed against his chest.
Marc-Andre pulled me towards one of the beds and sat down, pulling me into his lap and rocking me softly. “Shhh.” He said softly. “It’s alright. He didn’t mean anything that he said.” I only sobbed harder against his chest as he stroked my hair gently.
I heard Sidney at the doorway, but my brother knew better than to say anything. He just stood there, as if to keep anyone from coming in.
Eventually, I stopped sobbing and I took my face away from Marc-Andre’s chest, wiping my eyes as he continued to stroke my hair. “Are you ok?” He asked gently, and I nodded. He kissed my forehead. “He didn’t mean it, you know that right?” Marc asked me softly. “You are far from spoiled, love.”
Sidney’s voice drifted from over by the door. “Truthfully, the majority of hockey players aren’t. Maybe it’s because the majority of us are Canadian and we like to be conservative.” His comment made me smile softly as I rested my head on Marc’s shoulder.
Marc-Andre continued to rock me. “What he said isn’t all that is bothering you, is it?” Marc-Andre asked me. I shook my head. “I know for a fact that your sleepiness affected it.” I nodded. “What else?” He asked, his voice so quiet and gentle that I had to bite my lip to keep from crying again.
“I think I’ll leave.” Sidney said, closing the door quietly behind him.
Marc-Andre whipped a tear from my cheek. “Well?” He asked gently.
I made a slight whimper sound and Marc started to stroke my hair again. “People back in school and on my hockey team always called me a runt, especially for hockey.” I said quietly, sharing a deep secret that has always been a wound to my heart; a wound I have never shared before to anyone, except for Sid who always defended me.
“Oh, Erra.” Marc-Andre said softly. “So that’s it.” He said, his voice distant as if he was thinking. “Why haven’t you ever told me before?”
I sniffed and looked up at his, his dark eyes soft and loving. “Because I hate it. And I wish I could forget about it.” I replied.
Marc kissed my forehead softly. “You can tell me anything, Sierra.” He said. “In fact, I want you to tell me everything. I love you, baby. I want you to be able to share everything with me.”
I instantly felt guilty for not sharing it before. “I’m sorry.” I whimpered.
Marc-Andre pulled me close against him. “Don’t be sorry.” He said, continuing on in French. “Just feel confident with yourself. Besides, look where you are now with hockey.” He said, and I could tell he had a smile on his face. “I love you, Sierra.”
I smiled softly and nodded. “I love you too.”
A soft knock at the door, and I got up and went to open it, wiping my eyes. I opened the door to see Jonathan standing there, his eyes downcast and guilt was written all over his face. He looked at me, but avoided my eyes. “I’m so sorry, Sierra.” He said quietly. “I didn’t mean a word I said. I have just been on edge all day and I took it out on you. Please forgive me.” He said, his voice begging.
I nodded. “I’m sorry too, for what I called you.” I said. “I didn’t mean it. I’m just really tired and, well, you could say I’m hormonal too.”
That made Jonathan look up at me, a small smile spread across his face. “Well, I shall not upset the lady, the only lady, in this house ever again.” He said.
I nodded and I could hear Marc-Andre get off of the bed. “Truce.” I said, offering my hand out to him.
Jonathan nodded. “Of course, I never wanted to fight with you anyways. I want to be friends.” He said, taking my hand.
I smiled weakly, feeling really tired. “Friends it is.” I replied.
Jonathan looked over me. “I’ll leave you be. You probably want to go to sleep. See you tomorrow, Erra, Flower. Goodnight.” And with that, Jonathan Toews left the room.
I turned around and raised an eyebrow as Marc-Andre was searching through his duffle bag, shirtless. “Left side, under your sweater.” I said, knowing he was looking for his pajamas.
He pulled out the pajama pants and the white shirt that he wears to bed. “Thank you.” He said, smiling softly as I shuffled my way over to him.
We both quickly changed into our pajamas and we both got into bed. I snuggled against him as Sidney came in and turned out the light, shuffling through his bag blindly. I rested my head on Marc-Andre’s chest. “Tomorrow, everything begins.” I said softly.
I felt Marc-Andre nod. “Yes.” Was all he said.
“Goodnight Sidney.” I said softly, but I knew he was already asleep. He was so tired that the moment his head hit the pillow, he was out. “Goodnight, Marc.” I said softly.
Marc-Andre lifted my chin and kissed me gently. “Goodnight, sweetheart. Sleep well.” He said quietly in French, but I was already drifting off into a peaceful sleep.