Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

The Troubles Only Continue

We killed the Bruins, giving my Marc-Andre his first shutout of the year, a much needed shut out.
“I told you so.” I said to him after as we were on our way home.
He grinned at me and kissed my temple. “You did tell me, didn’t you?”
I looked up at him and laughed, and tried to fix Matt’s shoulder pads. “Maybe you should listen to me more often, eh?”
Marc-Andre put his arm around me and pulled me close against him. “I always listen to you, love. I just sometimes don’t show it.”
I nodded my head, just as Matt and Max dumped ice cold water on us. I screamed as Marc-Andre laughed, and I quickly unbuckled the seatbelt and chased them to the back of the plane, yelling at them. I tossed Matt’s shoulder pads at him and told him to fix them himself. He quickly apologized, but I didn’t go back to fixing them.

The game Saturday was not so great, although I was able to play, finally. We seemed to have it in the bag until Carolina got a lucky shot to tie the game and head it into overtime.
Dan doesn’t usually put me on the ice in overtime, because that is when a lot more board action happens with only 4 on 4, and because of my size, I can’t really be caught in board action. But, he put me on in the first shift. I took a shot during the shift, but it didn’t go in.
And then Carolina struck hard, and Marc-Andre saved, but a rebound and an awkward shot made it behind our goaltender with less than a second left. From where I was standing, Marc-Andre saw the puck, but it still went in. I didn’t get it.
In the locker room, Sidney announced that the puck ricocheted off his hand and was deflected into the net. I bit my lip, knowing that now Sidney blamed himself.
The locker room was eerily quiet as we were all really upset about the loss, a loss that was just a bad break. I showered quickly and took a finger-thick clump of hair on both sides of my head in front of my ears, and brought them together in the back and secured them with a clip. I put on my black dress pants and lilac short sleeved dress shirt. I pulled on my shin-high heel boots and tossed my velvet dress jacket with my things I needed to take home.
Marc-Andre was still in the shower by the time I finished, so I grabbed his blue-grey suit and left it nearby the shower he was in.
I saw Sidney nearby, and I could read the look on his face. I walked up to him. “It isn’t your fault, you know.” I stated, placing my hand on his shoulder. With my heels on, I didn’t look as much since, obviously, the guys don’t wear heels. “Everyone has a bad break at some point, and it isn’t as if you had the intention of putting it in. You thought you were saving it.”
Sidney turned his hazel eyes on my and looked at me sorrowfully. “It shouldn’t have gone in.” He stated bluntly, with no emotion.
Geno walked up, towel around his waist with his wet hair plastered across his forehead. I noticed a slight limp to his walk, which worried me. “I think some of the blame can go on me.” He said, his English only slightly broken. “I think I reinjured my foot in that last minute, and I couldn’t get to the bench.”
I shook my head. “It isn’t your fault either; it isn’t anyone’s fault.” I looked at Evgeni nervously. “Are you alright?”
Geno nodded and Sidney finished gathering his things, and started to talk to some people who wanted to interview him. “It isn’t bad like before.” He explained. “Just sore, very sore.”
I nodded my head and spotted Marc-Andre striding across the locker room, and I realized I forgot to grab his shirt that he puts under his suit. “Ok, just get some rest.” Geno smiled and I walked across to my half-dressed boyfriend. “Sorry.” I said to him.
Marc-Andre turned around, and he barely met my eyes. “It’s fine.”
I set my hand on his cheek, and then wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. He hugged me back and lifted me off of my feet slightly. My heels clacked on the ground as he set me back down. “I’ll be finished in a moment.” He said before walking away.
I sighed and turned around, only to run into Jordan. “Oh, sorry Sierra.” He said with his usual grin. At least somebody wasn’t too upset about the loss. I was actually expecting him to be the most pissed off since he lost to his elder brother.
“It’s fine Jordan. What do you need?”
“Do you have your key? I think I left mine on the counter at home.”
I nodded my head and grabbed my purse, sifting through it to find the house key. “Here.” I said, handing it to him. “Just put it back on the counter afterwards.”
Jordan nodded. “Thanks. I’m going to take Eric to show him the place I’m thinking of getting to get his opinion before I decide whether to buy it or not.”
“Good idea.” I said with a smile. “Just don’t kill him.” I teased, and Jordan laughed as he headed out.
“Call me later.” Sidney said, walking passed me.
I cocked my head to the side. “Alright.” Sidney would leave the back way out of the arena, I knew that. And I had a feeling he wouldn’t be signing too many autographs.
Kris started to grab his things and I could see the upset look on his face too. This was a hard game to lose, and it was written on everyone’s faces.
Marc-Andre surprised me by slipping his arm around my waist. “Let’s go.” He said in French, and I grabbed my purse and started to walk to the door to the arena.
We walked outside and I shielded my eyes from the bright sun as I watched Jordan leave in his car while Mike was signing everything that was giving to him to sign. Kris was walking to his car while the crowd was chanting his name to go sign. They didn’t notice me or Marc yet, and I was kind of happy about it.
“Do you have the keys?” Marc-Andre asked, and I grabbed the keys from my purse to hand them to him.
We finally walked out from the arena and the crowd immediately started to yell our names. “Fleury, Crosby!” They shouted. I was on the opposite side of Marc-Andre, so I had to peek to the side of him to see the crowd. There were a lot of people, since it was such a nice and warm day. They were held back from the players and their cars by the usual barricade of gates that came up to about elbows. Maybe taller.
Marc-Andre and I made it to the Lamborghini after saying something to Kris, who finally gave in and went to go sign some autographs, even though he was pissed. “Come on, Flower!” Someone yelled from the crowd, and I glanced between Marc and the crowd.
Marc-Andre met my eyes and I smiled gently. He sighed and the two of us began to walk towards the crowd, starting at one end. The crowd cheered as we started to sign.
A teenager grinned as I signed his jersey that held my name and number. “Thanks, Crosby.” He said and I smiled and nodded as I continued, slowly, down the line.
“You look beautiful today, Sierra.” Someone said as I signed a young child’s hockey stick that they got from the game.
“Thank you.” I replied.
I heard someone say “Good game.” To Marc-Andre, and he replied with a sad hint to his voice. “We lost though.”
I heard a girl in the crowd. “I still love you, Flower.”
I grinned inwardly as I looked up and tried to see who the voice came from. I didn’t know though, but I could see a slight brightness in Marc’s eyes.
Mike and I crossed paths while signing, and he nudged me out of the way playfully, which amused the crowd. “Hey, you aren’t the only one they love.” I grumbled, slipping under his arm so I was standing in front of him. He laughed, and so did the crowd.
I reached the end of the crowd lineup, and signed the last of the things thrown at me. Marc-Andre was waiting, and I leaned into the girl whose hat I was signing. “When we head towards the car, I want everyone to yell ‘we love you, Fleury.’” I whispered to her, and she nodded. “Pass it down the line of the crowd.”
The girl grinned, and the message was passed quickly. My heels clacked on the pavement as I walked to Marc-Andre and we turned to the direction of the car. “Hey, Sierra!” I heard Chris call. I turned towards Kuny and he beckoned for me to come over.
I walked over, and I saw a sickly looking girl sitting at her father’s feet. “What’s up?” I asked him.
Chris nodded towards the young girl and her father. “This little girl really loves you. She is extremely sick with Leukemia and she looks up to you to prove that anything can happen when you have faith.” Chris explained, and the father was nodding the whole time. “You already moved on before her jersey could be signed. I signed it, but she really wants yours.” I looked at the young girl with a smile, and her father helped her stand up and I took her jersey from her hands and signed it. Chris whispered in my ear. “Her father says that she won’t live much longer.”
I nodded. “Hey.” I said to her, and she replied quietly. I knelt down to her level and smiled at her. “What’s your name?”
The young girl spoke softly. “Haley.”
I smiled at her and took the jersey in my hands. “Well, Haley. I hope you stay true to your dreams and always believe in the impossible.” I said to her and she nodded. “Now, if you would excuse me.” I stood up and jogged off towards Mike with the jersey in my hand. “Rupper!” I exclaimed, trying not to trip since I wasn’t used to running in heels. “Please sign this for a sick little girl.” He did so happily.
Kris was nearby, and I forced him to sign the jersey as well. Cooke already left so I then made my way over to Marc-Andre. I didn’t even have to tell him to sign, because he heard all that was said.
I made my way back to the little girl and handed the jersey back to her. “Thank you.” She said.
“Thank you so much, Miss. Crosby.” The young girl’s father said. “This means everything to her.”
I smiled at the two of them and shook the young girl’s hand. “It isn’t a problem, really.” I said. “Just take care.” I said goodbye to them, and Chris since he was still there too.
I walked back to Marc-Andre and he wrapped his arm around my waist, and I did the same. We started to head to the car when the crowd started to shout and chant “We love you, Fleury!”
Marc-Andre halted and turned around. I smiled happily as he looked at the crowd and then me. “Did you do that?” He asked softly, and I could see that it made him feel a bit better.
I nodded my head and stretched up and kiss his cheek. The crowd cheered and we headed back to the car. “Thank you.” He said when we were in the Lamborghini.
I took his hand in mine as the Lambo roared to life and I rolled down the window to let in some of the gorgeous Pittsburgh air. “I wanted to make you feel better.” I said and took notice of the small smile he had.
We pulled out of the parking lot to the cheers of our name, and sped down the street towards home.