Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Last Minute Details

I opened the door to the house with the three girls following behind me. I sighed as I tripped over Sidney’s shoes. “Can’t people put their stuff out of the way?” I mumbled, kicking his shoes off to the side.
“Easy, grumble girl.” Emelie said, grinning at me as she strode right in my house.
I rolled my eyes at my teammate, but a small smile formed on my lips. “Come in.” I said to the other girls, and Jenna quickly followed suit.
“Where is your man?” Jenna asked, looking around.
“Probably out back with Jordan. Jor’s taking all his stuff with him. He’s moving into his apartment next season.”
“I heard the Hurricanes snagged Jared.” Ari’s quiet voice said from behind us all.
Three heads turned to look at Ari in synch. Each girl had different colored eyes, and all six eyes were glued on the shy girl. She blinked and swallowed. “What?” All three of us said at once.
“N…Nik told me.” She stuttered, and I knew she was feeling awkward.
“Huh, the Canes are snagging the Staal’s.” Emelie chucked. “I bet Jared won’t be too happy. His elder brother is his captain. It will make for an interesting Youtube video.” An evil smile crept on her face.
“Its hockey, he won’t care for that.” Jenna objected.
I scoffed. “Don’t be so sure, Jens.” I tossed my bag of goodies that I bought on the counter and made me way to the couch to fall on. “I know those four boys. And it gets... competitive between them. All of them.”
“Hey now, you shouldn’t be talking about my family behind my back.”
The four of us all turned to look up at Jordan as he walked in the house. The four of us all said hello as I fell back onto the couch. Emelie chatted with Jordan while Ari went through Jenna’s bag to grab the few things she bought.
I felt soft hands along my ankle and smiled when I lifted my head. I raised my legs and Marc-Andre sat down and my feet rested on his lap. “How was shopping?” Marc asked, slipping into French.
“Eh.” I replied, then thought about it and replied in his first language, even though Ari and Emelie could understand. “It was ok. You know I’ve never been much of a shopper.” He smiled as he massaged my right ankle. “Where is Sid?” I asked in English. “I saw his shoes.”
“Chasing your cat.” Jordan answered, nonchalant.
I sighed and Marc chuckled.
A ringtone echoed through the living room and we all looked over at Ari as she answered. “Soyez justes là” She said quietly, closing her phone. She looked up at us apologetically. “I’m sorry, but Kris is here to pick me up. We are going to New Brunswick for Luc’s anniversary…” Her voice trailed off and I could tell that she mentally shook herself. “Then I have to fly back to Chicago on Monday for the Finals.” She smiled. “I’m racking up frequent flyer miles.”
I got up and walked over to the petite girl. She smiled, but her eyes were sad. I pulled her into a big hug. “Call me if you need anything, ok?” I asked her and she nodded. “Tell Kris that too. I know you two are going to have a hard weekend.” She tightened her arms around my back. “Give Nik my regards as well.” Ari pulled away and smiled. “All of us are cheering for those Blackhawks. And I hope you’ll come visit me at some point in the summer.”
Ari chuckled quietly. You would never know from her that she was French. I’ve been told many times that she does have an accent, but it only comes out when she is mad. Well, she isn’t mad often. “I’ll tell him. They are happy that you guys are supporting them. I’ll keep in touch, I promise.”
I smiled at her. “It’s going to be so different without you here next year.”
She nodded in agreement. “I’ll try to come back as much as possible. Nikky says he would be happy to send me up here whenever I want.”
I grinned. “You chose a good one.” I joked around and she laughed.
“Thank you.” She said quietly and then hugged everyone else. “I’ll see everyone later.” She smiled and walked quietly out the door.
“I’m going to miss that girl.”
I whipped around and Sidney was standing there with his usual grin, the identical grin that I had, and my cat in his hands.
“Sid!” Jenna grinned wildly and put her arms around him. He kissed her softly and dropped my cat, who went running up the stairs.
“Hey, babe.” He said to her, and then looked at me. “Your cat drives me crazy.”
“I know. But you have to put up with her for a little while since we will be in Nova Scotia for the first part of the summer.” I smiled sweetly and brushed my gentle curls out of my face.
Sid laughed. “I know. I’m glad you guys are staying with Jen and me.” He smiled and she stretched up and kissed his cheek.
“I wanna come too!” Emelie said, and then laughed as we all looked at her. “I’ll be in Montreal most of the summer anyways. My mom wants me to do something there.” She shrugged and waved it off.
Marc, still on the couch, reached out and grabbed my hips. I blinked in surprise as he pulled me into his lap, wrapping his arms around me. “You can come over if you want.” Sidney smiled. “I have plenty of room. Especially now that Marc won’t be taking the guest room.”
I stuck my tongue out at my brother.
“I’ll think about it.” Emelie said with a smile and looked at her phone. “I gotta run guys. “I have to pick my brother up. We plan on having some quality brother-sister time together before I run off.” She smiled. “Love you all!” She hugged us all tightly and quickly left the house.
“Everyone likes to suddenly leave.” Marc said and I turned around and smiled at him.
“Yup.” Jordan’s voice replied from somewhere in the kitchen. “So when is everyone coming to my place exactly?”
“July, aren’t we?” Jenna said, looking between Sidney and Marc-Andre.
Sid and Marc both nodded. “Yeah, we’ll be there for Canada Day.” Sidney said.
“You planned this without talking to me?” I said while faking a hurt tone.
Everyone laughed and it took a lot of willpower to keep my face passive, trying to keep my hurt expression. “Aww, baby.” Marc said softly, his lips brushing against my cheek. “I’ll make it up to you tonight.” He whispered in French.
I giggled and Sidney moaned. “I do understand French you know.” He muttered. “And I really didn’t need to know that.”
I rolled my eyes at my brother as Marc blushed and laughed. “Oh, shut up Sidney. We don’t do that. You know that I’ve promised myself to wait for marriage. And I always stick to my promises. I’m too stubborn to break them.” I grinned.
“Yeah, yeah. I remember. You chewed my head off and spat some angry words at me when I said that you wouldn’t hold to it.”
“You deserved it. I was insulted. I’m not a puck bunny.”
He smiled, and I knew I won. I always win. It is the Sierra way- I’m full of myself sometimes.
Jordan walked in the living room with a giant sandwich. “I hope you are paying for the groceries that made that sandwich.” Marc said sternly, but the smile on his face ruined the effect.
Jordan nodded. “It would have just gone to waste anyways since we are all leaving tomorrow.” He muttered through a mouth full of food. “And just to point this out, we all know you two are going to end up married anyways, so does it matter?”
I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise as anger soared through my body, but I kept my face and voice neutral. “It matters to me.” I said with such a finality in my tone that Jordan stared at me, wide eyed.
Jenna coughed in the awkward silence that followed and I looked ever at her. “We should probably go, Sidney. We haven’t finished packing and we leave tomorrow.” She said with a smile.
Sid ran a hand through his hair. “Oh yeah. We probably should do that.” He chuckled and looked at the three of us. “I guess we shall see you guys tomorrow.” He said and the two of them left, Sidney carrying the many bags of things that Jenna had bought.
“I’m going to finish up too.” Jordan said, standing. “Your guys’ flight is around the same time as mine right?”
I nodded. “Yeah, around noonish.” I replied and he nodded.
“Ok. Mario is picking us up I take it?”
“No, Cookie is.”
“Oh, I see.” He looked at Marc. “Can I keep my Range Rover in your garage for the summer since I don’t move into my place here until the season starts?”
Marc nodded. “Go ahead. There is plenty of room for all three cars. Marylene is driving my Lamborghini up to Sorel anyways.”
I looked at him, shocked. “She is?”
He smiled and kissed my forehead. “Yeah. She doesn’t want to fly and I would like to have my favorite car up there, so she is going to drive it up.”
Both Jordan and I nodded. “I see.” We said together, then looked at each other and laughed.
Jordan left us and I began to stand up to vacuum upstairs before we left tomorrow, but Marc caught my left wrist, the one I’ve hurt so many times, and pulled me back down in his lap. His lips met mine and I smiled at the warm feeling that always fills me whenever he kisses me. “Marc, I need to vacuum.” I muttered against his lips.
“No, not yet.” He said breathlessly in French, wrapping his arms around me and then forcing me, gently, onto my back on the couch.
I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him down on me, closer to me. “Ok.” I said softly, just before his lips met mine powerfully.