Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Getting Better

I sit out the Classic, and Jordan gets to play.
Damn stupid blonde who I treat as a little brother. No, I’m not jealous.
Well, it wasn’t much long later, when the team was in Montreal for a game, that I got a surprise of my own.
I was in bed, just hanging out with the dog next to me, texting my brother. He stopped texting for a while, giving me enough to time grab some pancakes and get comfortable back in my bed again.
My head was beginning to feel better, after two weeks of not being able to move, eat, and sleep. I still got dizzy, but as long as I moved slowly, I was ok. And my head did definitely still hurt a lot, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it was, and I can actually concentrate and think now. Marc was worried about leaving me alone, but Jenna promised to check on me morning and night. And he calls constantly, not that I mind.
I still can’t do a whole lot, so I still spend a lot of time in bed. But I do go out with Riley when I let him out, just so I can get some air.
Sidney finally replied as I was eating my pancakes. What’re you doing?”
I stuffed the fork in my mouth to eat, happy that I can finally keep real food down, and responded to him. Sitting in bed, eating breakfast. Why?”
Don’t freak out when the dog freaks. Was his reply.
I looked at my phone, giving it a strange look, just as Riley barked and rushed downstairs. I blinked in surprise, setting my plate on my side table, and followed my dog to the stairs, gaping when Sidney’s frame stood in the doorway, petting my dog.
“What the hell?” I said, gaining his attention.
He grinned up at me slightly. “Hey.”
“What are you doing here?” I asked, then sticking my tongue out at him as he laughed at how I sounded.
But then he sighed and took off his shoes, making his way to the couch before collapsing. “I have a concussion.”
My shoulders dropped as I joined my brother. “Oh, Sidney,” I said softly, taking his hands in mine and squeezing them. “When did it happen?”
“Last night? The Classic? I don’t know. Both made my head spin, but I felt ok after the one from the Classic. Despite my neck being sore, but that’s not unusual.”
I nod and hugged my twin brother, finding it ironic that the Crosby Twins both have concussions. Although mine is a wee bit worse then his.
Just a bit.
Sidney shrugs and leans back into my couch, leaving me to just stare at him. “You’ll be ok, soon,” I said, giving him an encouraging smile. “Does Jenna know yet?”
Sidney’s hazel eyes met my own with a nod. “Yeah, I saw her first after I left the doctor’s office. Then I came here to surprise you. And before you say anything because I can see that look you’re giving me, I’m ok to drive.”
I laughed, amused with the fact that he can read my expressions so well. But that’s Sidney for you. We read each other like an open book with one hundred and forty four font.
“How is she, knowing about your head?”
Sidney sniffed, rubbing his nose. “She hugged me, but she’s not really upset. Just angry that neither of the guys were suspended even though they were clearly intentional blind-side hits when I didn’t have the puck. Either time.”
“Sounds familiar,” I growled.
“But Ovechkin was suspended.”
“Although not enough,” I snorted.
Sidney laughed at me and stood. “It’s good to see that you’re starting to get better. It’s nice to have my sister back.” He hugged me. “I love you, Sierra.”
I hugged my twin back. “I love you too, Sidney. And thanks for checking up on me.”
He smiled. “Anytime, little Erra.” I stuck my tongue out at him again, causing him to laugh even more. “Oh.”
I looked up at him, standing along side him as he stands as well. “And it’s also nice to have my twin back.” I gave him a strange look, and he just smiled at me. “You’re becoming yourself again. My crazy, psychotic, sweet, demanding, loving, blunt twin sister. You’re smiling for real again. Even though the thing with Emelie blew over, you still weren’t yourself. You were still looking sad all the time, still in a depressed slump and I still don’t understand what caused you to go into that, to cause you to lose control of yourself.” He paused and looked at me. “I’m just glad to have my sister back.”
I teared up during his little speech, and when he finished, I wrapped my arms around him tightly. “I love you, Sidney. And I’m so sorry I put you through that. You and Marc and everyone else.”
Sidney kissed the top of my head before we let go of each other. “It’s ok, Erra. We all understood, we really did. You were just having an emotional overload.” He smiled and began walking away from me.
I smiled at his back. “Thank you.”
He chuckled and put his shoes back on. “Of course. Now, if you don’t excuse me, I’m going to go home and rest up. My head hurts.”
I nodded and held the door open for him. “Get well soon, Siddo. Love ya.”
“Love you too, Sis. Talk to you later.”
I watched my brother climb into his car, and back carefully out of my large driveway.
I can’t believe that Sidney also suffered a concussion, and I ended up learning later on that Cookie came home with Sidney because of a family issue. Someone was sick. I didn’t find out who it was.
With a sigh, I grabbed a glass of milk and headed back up to my room. I had cold pancakes to finish, and a show to watch as my dog curled up next to my bed, and my cat curled up on Marc-Andre’s pillow.

I am on the ice again!
For all of a couple minutes.
After another week, I take to the ice for the first time since before Christmas. I am only in my skates, with my Penguins sweats and hoodie, just gliding on the ice carefully.
I can’t move around too fast, or my head will begin to pound and I’ll start to get dizzy. I found that out the hard way when I tried to jog a little bit to try to gain some muscle back that I’ve lost in the last few weeks.
But, the point is, I’m on the road to recovery.
I just glide around, dekeing the puck for a few minutes, just trying to get my hands back. It’s hard to do since my eyesight isn’t the best at the moment, but I’m able to do it without making myself dizzy.
Marc is watching me, watching every movement, just in case. He just leans against the wall as a couple of the other guys skate around to warm up before practice begins.
I flash him a smile, my glasses slipping down my nose, getting a small smile from him. I decide to go over to him, but I don’t ice him because I know that if I try to stop, I’ll just end up falling.
So I just ran into him instead, making him laugh as he catches me awkwardly because of all his gear.
He laughs and plants a kiss on my head as he helps me stand straight. I look at his helmet, since he dropped it, and attempt to pick it up for him, but I get dizzy and start to sway.
Marc keeps his arms around me securely. “Easy, sweetheart,” he says softly, helping me stand still as I blink away the dizziness. “I think you’re done for the day.”
I nod and let him lead me to the benches, where one of the medical staff awaits to help me back down to the locker room. “I’ll be back up once I get my shoes on,” I said quietly to Marc, not knowing if he heard me as I’m already heading down the runway.
I get my skates off with a little help from Tanger since he was still in the locker room, and I slip my UGG boots on. They keep my feet warm for days like this, when I’m just watching.
With a little help, I get back up to the ice and sit in the benches to watch the practice since Marc and I, obviously, came together.
I can’t watch the puck, because the fast piece of black rubber moves too fast for my sluggish eyes to catch. So I just focus on Marc, smiling when he tries to make his crazy saves. My favorite is when he starts to dance up until the puck is shot at him.
Emelie skates up to me as I’m focused on the man I love, and I slowly tear my gaze from him to look at my best friend. “Yes?”
“How’s Sidney? He came in yesterday but not today.”
I shrugged. “He’s getting there. He’ll be on the ice soon enough.”
“We could really use him,” she said softly. “Stupid Canadiens tomorrow.”
I nod. “I wish I was coming.”
Em smiled at me and started skating backwards. “I’m glad you’re not.” I gave her a hard look and she laughs at me. “Because that means you’re getting better. And we need you too, Sierra. We all just want you to rest and get better.”
I relaxed and smiled softly. Even though she was already gone, I still whispered after her. “Thank you, Emelie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for your comments. I know I say this a lot, but you really don't know how much I love reading what you guys say. It makes me feel so good about my writing, and it really does make me update faster.
So this chapter is to all of you who comment!