Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

My Injured Russian

“Tell mum and dad and Taylor and Jens that I love them and miss them,” I said through my phone to my brother as I balanced my cell against my shoulder while bringing in groceries.
“Will do,” Sidney replied.
“And Sid,” I started, dropping the bags on the floor. I motioned to Marc who got up off the couch and began to put the groceries away.
“Yeah?”
“Relax while you’re home, ok? Don’t worry about us here. Jordan has everything under control without you and Geno. And when Geno comes back, everything will be good. And I’m here. I won’t let them destroy the team.”
I could picture the smile on my brother’s face. “Thank you, Sierra.”
“Anytime. Just enjoy your time home.”
“I will. Love ya.”
“Love you too.”
With that, Sidney and I both hung up at the same time and I turned to face my fiance, who was staring at me with a bit of a smirk on his lips. “What?”
Marc closed the distance between us in two long strides, enveloping me in his strong embrace, and kissing my nose gently. “Nothing, ma chérie. It just makes me smile when you comfort your brother like that. You’re just so sweet.”
I smiled and swatted at him playfully. “Oh, be quiet.”
Marc-Andre laughed and I turned towards my cat who was sitting on the counter. I placed my hands on my hips and stared at her as Marc continued to put the groceries away. “Just because you were sick while I was away does not mean you get to sit on my counter,” I scolded.
I only gained a meow in return.
“We’re going to be late, Sierra,” Marc said to me, kissing at my neck as he passed. “And I’m going to blame you this time.
“Hey, I still have on my coat. Let’s go, let’s go! We have a game to catch.”
A game against the Sabres that was supposed to be great with Geno’s return, that only ended up going completely wrong.

“Geno!” I screamed as I watched him and the Sabres player going down together. Just by the look on my Russian’s face informed me that something was seriously wrong.
I skated over as fast as I could, being that I was on the same line as him, and skidded to a halt just as all of the Sabres were pulled away by my other teammates.
Evgeni’s face was contorted in pain, and my eyes widened as he gripped my wrist, my bad wrist, tightly. “Pain. Hurts,” he whispered in a moan.
“What hurts?” I asked, even though I knew.
“Knee.”
I threw my gloves off, accidentally hitting the refs in the head, and put my hand on his knee, vaguely realizing that this was the opposite knee that has been bothering him. Just my feather touch made him flinch. If he wasn’t Geno, there would be tears in his eyes.
One of our staff came out and joined me on the ice with Geno while the other guys swarmed around us like a protective force.
“Evgeni,” I said in a gentle tone, staring into his deep brown eyes. “Do you think you can get up?”
The team doctor next to me just let me continue what I was doing, because the Russian hockey player was too focused on me to think of anything else. He was staring at me intently, as if the sight of me was taking his pain away.
“Evgeni?”
I finally got a nod out of him, and I motioned for help to get him to his feet.
Once my teammates and I got Geno to his feet, I slowly led him to the bench, and ultimately the locker room. I could feel the pain in his body that was radiating up from his knee. I kept soothing him as much as I could, but the feeling that was deep in my gut told me that this was worse than the knee injuries he had before.
I wish I wasn’t right, but I was.

After winning the game, I sent Marc home with all of the other guys while I stayed at the mostly empty hockey rink with Geno before I followed him and the Penguins staff to the hospital.
He wanted me with him, so I stayed. I let him hold my much smaller hand as he rested on the medical bed.
I laid next to him, stroking his hair with my free hand while my cheek rested on the top of his head. I purposely scootched up farther so I could rest in this position next to him.
The doctors talked quietly around us, and I could pick up some words here and there. I felt sick as I realized how right I was. This was bad.
And Geno realized it too, only from my body language.
“How bad?” he whispered to me, his usually bright brown eyes dark and gloomy.
“Bad, hon, bad,” I whispered back, stroking his thick hair a little more gently.
He nodded and stared at the ceiling, allowing me to text Marc who wanted an update whenever I could it. I am so happy that I have such an understanding fiance. He understands my motherly ways, and even embraces it as he lets me stay out as long as I need to in order to be here for our dear friend.
I don’t know how long we waited there, but it was long enough for my hand to go numb within my Russian teammates. I didn’t complain though. He needed the comfort and I’m willing to risk the feeling in my hands if it helps.
The doctors came back, looking grim. Geno squeezed my hand a bit and I gave him a comforting smile. “Mr. Malkin,” the doctor started.
“Just get over with,” he said in his broken English as I helped him into a sitting position.
The doctor looked at me and I gave him a brief nod. “You’ve torn your MCL and ACL.”
I just about puked right then and there.
I knew it was bad, but not this bad.
This was horrible, painful, and unbelievable in a horrible way.
This was season ending.
Geno didn’t move, didn’t say word.
Until all at once he put his head in his hands and I wrapped my arms around him in a tight hug, trying to comfort him the best I could.
The doctor said nothing as I whispered to him, trying to ignore the fact he was trembling. He wasn’t crying, but to me, the way he trembled, was worse than any tears he could have shed.
I looked at the doctor and he continued on. “We want to wait until your knee calms down a little bit before we decide whether surgery or rehab will be your best option. I will talk to your coach in the morning, but he should find out before hand.”
“Count it done,” I said quietly since Geno wouldn’t speak.
The doctor nodded. “I’m sorry,” he said, touching my friend’s shoulder gently. “I wish I wasn’t the bearer of bad news.”
After a few moments, Evgeni got a hold of himself and he dropped his hands from his head, staring down at the callouses, but his voice not wavering. “Not your fault. I have to be strong.”
I smiled softly and got up. “I’ll take you home, ok?” I said gently, getting a nod from him.
Since Marc was my ride to the game, I sort of needed his car that I drove here in order to get home.
A brace was placed on Geno’s knee and I prepared his crutched for him. I helped him to the car that awaited outside, and I glanced at the clock. “Past midnight,” I murmured, not intending for Geno to hear.”
“I sorry for keeping you up.”
I looked at him, taking in his dull complexion. “Don’t be sorry. I wanted to be here with you.”
He nodded and I helped him into his vehicle before taking to the driver’s side and driving towards his home on the outskirts of the city.
We sat in a silence until he got out his phone and let a message on Dan’s voicemail explaining what happened. I voiced up in the background telling him to call me for details so Geno can rest.
“Thank you,” he whispered just as I pulled up to his house.
I smiled slightly and helped him out of the car, watching him carefully so he doesn’t slip on the snow in the driveway. “It’s fine.”
I opened his door and stared at the stairs that loomed just inside the door to the condo. “Couldn’t you have lived in an apartment?”
That got a sad smile out of the Russian superstar.
We took it slow, but eventually we made it up the stairs. I helped him by getting anything he needed from downstairs, including a glass of water and his laptop, before slipping out of his house to let him sleep and rest.
“Call me if you need me,” I said just before leaving.
I got in his car and rested my head back against the seat for a long moment before sending a mass text to all our teammates.
And then, finally, I headed home where my fiance and bed awaited me.