Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Soaring Heart

“Skate!”
I growled under my breath as I continued to do layups up and down the ice. Suicides is a better name for them. Especially since my body felt like it was going to commit suicide on me. Thanks Coach, my body’s not happy.
Jordan huffed to my right, the two of us almost in perfect stride, with Broosky to my left, a tad behind me.
I tried to ignore the pain in my right quadricep. It’s been bugging me for a few times, and right now, I’m pushing the muscles past their limit.
“Almost done!”
I glanced over at my twin brother, who was sitting on the wall watching us since he isn’t permitted to join us suckers in suicides. He looked amused. Damn him.
I slide to the line and snowed nothing, but as I switched feet to head the other way, my right leg gave out from underneath me, and I tumbled to the ice while moaning. I held onto my thigh, feeling the rip in my quad.
Dan and our team doctor walked over to me. “Sierra, what’s wrong?”
I ignored the looks of worry from my teammates. “My muscle gave out,” I said through my teeth, trying to knead my quad through all the hockey gear.
“Go get it checked out. Make sure it isn’t anything serious.” I nodded. “Can you get up?” I nodded again and hauled myself to my feet.
I followed Doc across the ice, practically dragging my right foot behind me, only putting the weight on it to push me towards the runway. Sidney took my weight on my right side, and Doc on the other, as we headed down.
“You’re not screaming in pain, so it can’t be that bad,” Sidney said while trying to lighten the mood.
I laughed. “Nothing’s pulled, I don’t think. Just painful. I’ve been sore for a few days.”
Doc nodded as he listened. “We will make sure, just to be safe.”
“You guys don’t face the Devils until Tuesday, so if you’re right, I’m sure you’re fine.” My brother smiled at me.
“Aww, Sid. You’re so sweet.” I stretched up to kiss his cheek while he laughed.
We made it into the examination room, and Doc sent Sidney off to change. He was to be my ride home since Marc and I drove here, and I really didn’t want to stay and wait for him for another hour.
I stripped down to my usual tank and shorts and tried to stretch out my throbbing quadricep. It wasn’t too painful, but enough to make me cringe.
“Ok, let me see.”
I straightened my leg for Doc to examine. After a few minutes of poking and prodding, Doc straightened up and handed an ice pack to me. “It’s just a strain. Rest your leg for a few days and you’ll be fine. Work much harder, and you’ll probably pull the muscle.”
I nodded. “Ok, thanks,” I replied as I attached the ice pack to my thigh.
Doc helped me out of the room while dragging my gear behind us, and I slowly put on my street clothes. My t-shirt was the easy part, getting my capris on over the ice pack was a tad bit difficult since I like tighter clothes. I eventually won the battle though. For the most part.
“Ready to go?”
I looked up at my brother and nodded. “Yeah.”
He gave me a piggyback ride to his car, which made me giggle the whole way there.
The ride home, my home that is, was fairly quiet except for the blasting music. The only talking Sidney and I did was fighting over the iPod to which song we wanted to listen to.
He helped me out of his Range Rover and into the house. I plopped down on my couch with my leg up and the ice relaxing the muscle. I’d have to switch to heat soon, but not for a while yet.
Sidney let Riley out and then took a seat next to me. “So how‘s the wedding planning coming along? We haven’t had a whole lot of time to talk lately.”
I grinned and threw a pillow at him. “It’s going good. Mum has the venue locked up for the day as well as the reception hall. I pick up my dress in May and Marc is getting his suit tailored in Quebec. We’ll have to pick it up before we head to Nova Scotia.”
“Flowers?”
“Roses and tulips. You should know that.”
He laughed pretty hard. “I do. Cake?”
“Yellow and chocolate cake with the usual white icing. The food consists of mainly French since we all love French food, as well as seafood.”
“Damn. Jens and I have nothing yet,” he laughed.
I winked. “I have time on my hands now since I graduated from college.”
Sidney grinned at me while standing up to let Riley back in. “You still babysit.”
“I do that as a hobby,” I responded to him as he talked about me always taking care of the team.
“Is Neal still living here?”
“I don’t know, check the guest room,” I teased. “And while you’re up there, grab me some shorts so I can change. And I need the heating pad.
Sidney rolled his eyes, but, nonetheless, he did as he was told.
As he came back downstairs, he tossed me the short black shorts that I changed into while he heated up the magic bag which I placed on my sore muscle. “I need to head out. I have to pick up Jenna from work. Will you be ok here by yourself?”
I threw another pillow at him, which he had to duck. “Of course I’ll be ok. Marc-Andre will be home soon anyways.”
Sidney nodded and kissed my cheek before leaving me alone with my cat and dog. “Well, this will be a common situation next year, eh Ri?”
My Newfoundland just cocked his head to the side all cutely while I massaged his ears and rested my head back against the couch.

Commentators:
“And the Penguins win their last game of the regular season 5-2!”
“What a brilliant game from both Lovejoy and Sierra Crosby. Three assists sets a career high for the rookie defenseman. And four assists from Sierra.”
“One of her best games of the season after resting for the past week.”
“This was her last regular season game ever. She said she wanted to go out with a bang, and she did. The Penguins are going to miss her offensive and defensive style.”
“At least she isn’t gone from the game forever. She’ll be on the staff starting next year.”
“But first, they need her game for the Playoffs. It won’t be easy without the top two forwards. But I thank they can go far, if not all the way, as long as they work for what they want. And you know the Penguins want it. They are one of the most hungry teams in the NHL. They have been since the Crosby Era started.”
“Look, the Pens have broken up their huddle around Sierra, and now one of the Thrashers is coming over.”
“The captain, Andrew Ladd. It’s well known that she is great friends with last years Blackhawks. The Hawks and Pens have been good friends for a few years now.”
“This is a special moment.”
“It sure is.”

Sierra’s PoV:
I laughed and pretty much cried as my team, brothers, family all crowded around me in a huge group hug. Marc had me in his arms the most, and we wiped away my tears while kissing my un-helmeted head.
My team started to break apart to head down the runway, but as I turn to follow them, a very familiar voice stops me in my tracks.
I spun in a circle to face the familiar face of Andrew Ladd. I cracked a smile just as he opened his arms, and I skated right into his arms. “Hey there, Princess. It’s hard to believe that the world’s first female player actually just played and won her last game, eh?”
“Well, hopefully not,” I teased, speaking about the post-season.
Laddy laughed. “You know what I meant.”
“I’m sorry we kicked your ass.”
“I’m not.” He smiled. “I feel honored that I was your last opponent, and just so you know, I’m rooting for you and your team, just like you rooted for us last year.”
I smiled. “Thanks, Laddy. But won’t your best friend get a little mad at you?”
He laughed. “He’s a big boy with a beautiful girlfriend who can take care of him. He’ll live.”
I shook my head while laughing. “Be nice. Steeger is sensitive.”
Laddy shrugged. “I’m still rooting for you. The greatest female player in existence deserves one last achievement.”
Tears filled my eyes, but I blinked them away as I hugged him again. “Thank you, Andrew.”
He patted my head. “Of course. I’ll call you often. Now go, your team awaits.”
I smiled and turned away form him to follow my friends down the runway. A loud uproar of chants that consisted of my name filled my ears as both Penguin and Thrasher fans cheered for me and my last regular season game.
They made my heart soar.